From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis"
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 13:57:30 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:57 UTC

(((this one (from GG) also didnt get distributed.)))

Some of the U.S. states have mottoes in Latin

Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis"

9 views Subscribe

henh...@gmail.com's profile photo henh...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 11:07:32 AM

bard.google.com is getting smarter every week!

bard>>> here is a breakdown of the Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis":

Alis: This is the ablative plural of the noun "ala," which means "wing."
It is in the ablative case because it is indicating the means by which
the action is being performed (i.e., "flying").

volat: This is the third-person singular present tense indicative form
of the verb "volo," which means "to fly." It is agreeing with the
implied subject "ala" (i.e., "she flies").

propriis: This is the ablative plural feminine form of the adjective
"proprius," which means "own." It is modifying "alis" (i.e., "with her
own wings").

----------- as in Priprioception !

Therefore, the literal translation of the phrase is "she flies with her
own wings."

The phrase is often used to express the idea of independence and
self-reliance. It is also the motto of the U.S. state of Oregon.

_____________________________

In Latin, Sanskrit, and Hungarian, the ablative case is a grammatical
case used to express various meanings, including:

Source or origin: "veni ab urbe" (I came from the city)

Instrument or means: "gladio pugnavit" (he fought with a sword)

Agent in passive voice: "a puero scriptum est" (it was written by the boy)

Separation or removal: "amicus ab amico discessit" (the friend departed
from his friend)

Location: "domi sum" (I am at home)

1. Etymology in Grammar:

The word "ablative" comes directly from the Latin noun "ablātīvus,"
which translates to "(case) of removal."
This noun itself is derived from the past participle "ablātus" of the
Latin verb "auferre," meaning "to carry away."
So, the ablative case in grammar carries the sense of something being
taken away, separated, or removed.

2. Etymology in Technical Fields:

The usage of "ablative" in technical fields like aerospace likely
derives from the Latin meaning as well.
In these contexts, ablation refers to the wearing away or removal of
material, which aligns with the original meaning of "taking away" or
"removing."

----------------- sort of like abrasion

Re: Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis"

<upssm5$qgh3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=747&group=alt.language.latin#747

From: drago...@libero.it (Dragonot)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Re: Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis"
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:04:05 +0100
 by: Dragonot - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:04 UTC

Il 05/02/2024 22:57, HenHanna ha scritto:
> In Latin, Sanskrit, and Hungarian, the ablative case is a grammatical
> case used to express various meanings

Among the Indo-European languages ​​only, also in Iranian, Tocharian,
Anatolian, Armenian, Albanian.
Bepe

Re: Latin phrase "Alis volat propriis"

<upu9nv$12lhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=748&group=alt.language.latin#748

From: emi...@usinternet.com (t400ec)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:53:05 -0600
 by: t400ec - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:53 UTC

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_mottos
Dicta insignia non Latina vertamus: e. g. Muamua Le Atua
= Utinam sit Deus primum
b.t.

<uq060g$1fj03$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=749&group=alt.language.latin#749

From: emi...@usinternet.com (t400ec)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 09:01:39 -0600
 by: t400ec - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

Dicto insigni Alaskae mihi in mentem revocata est pellicula in qua
partes primas agit Joannis Wayne ubi docemur optimam viam et rationem
amicos faciendi est in pugnis pugnorum comminus contendere, hoc est non
hand in hand sed hand to hand.
At.... ubi eram? ... ad rem:
Versus septentriones ad Futura.
b.t.

<uq0su2$1jln4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=750&group=alt.language.latin#750

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:32:25 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:32 UTC

t400ec wrote:
> Dicto insigni Alaskae mihi in mentem revocata est pellicula in qua
> partes primas agit Joannis Wayne ubi docemur optimam viam et rationem
> amicos faciendi est in pugnis pugnorum comminus contendere, hoc est non
> hand in hand sed hand to hand.
>
> At.... ubi eram? ... ad rem:
>
> Versus septentriones ad Futura.
>
> b.t.

Vivat Johannes Wayne!

Meam pueritiam docuit heroem novisse. Etiam nunc manet ista imago
superioris hominis; diis propioris stantis. Vivat!
Credo enim toto corde posse esse virum et fortem et doctum.

Memini colloquium quoddam cum meo patre habitum; quis fuit "cowboy"
(vacchero, homo qui vaccas gregat) melior? Johannes Wayne aut Clintus
Eastwood? Meus pater Johannem nulla mora approbavit. Ego (sum filius
annorum sexaginta) summa celeritate consensi. Pater dixit eum fuisse
"moralem". Ego aliquantulum moratus sum, sed tunc consensi.

Achilles renatus! Ilias enim est fabula veterrima mundi occidentalis.
Opus est heroibus, spem enim dant ceteris. Suas maculas habent, sed
eorum virtutes praevalent, quae ceteros in periculis servant.

Edus