From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: BBC: Lithuania defying PRC over Taiwan was a mistake [Lithuania president]
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 14:02:35 +0000 (UTC)
sha1:w4I0ETTvQorMPIoWMEm2hcTyDyI=
 by: A. Filip - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 14:02 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59879762
> Lithuania: The European state that dared to defy China then wobbled
> ; 2022-01-07T00:10:18.000Z

> In July last year, the tiny European state of Lithuania announced the
> opening of a Taiwanese representative office in its capital, Vilnius. […]
> To China [PRC], it was an intolerable declaration of diplomatic hostility.
> When the office opened last November, it was the first time a European
> Union member state had let Taiwan use its own name for a foreign
> outpost.
> […] But then, this week, Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda expressed
> doubts about the wisdom of his country's principled stand, in comments
> welcomed by China.
> "I think it was not the opening of the Taiwanese office that was a
> mistake, it was its name, which was not co-ordinated with me," Mr
> Nauseda told local radio on Tuesday. […]

Taking *months* (instead of weeks) to correct "the mistake" amplified it
grossly IMHO. Stand up by your (long lasting) choices or do not whine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania

--
A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.