From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Can tomatoes commit tomato homicide?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:38:10 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:38 UTC

Hi All,

I have a 20 gallon container with cage for growing
my cherry tomatoes.

I usually plant Sweet 100's, but for the last two
years, the greenhouses have had failures on sweet
100's so I plant what every cherry tomato I can find.

This year I planted two red cherry and one black cherry.

I did not water one day. I noticed the next day a lot
of dead leaves at the bottom of the growth. When I
cleaned out all the dead stuff, I found that the black
cherry had killed both of the red cherries.

Hmmmm. The red cherry did not taste all that good
and the black completely took over the pot. And
the blacks taste a lot better. Plus the black is
prolific, so I am getting a lot of tomatoes.

Now I know that certain desert plant will emit
herbicides to kill of their neighbors so they can
have better access to ground water. Have you guys
ever heard of tomatoes killing off their too
close rivals?

I wonder if all three were blacks if this would
have happened.

Also, cheaper if I only have to buy one plant.

-T

Re: Can tomatoes commit tomato homicide?

<j4p1tj-4d4.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=816&group=rec.gardens.edible#816

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Can tomatoes commit tomato homicide?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:30:27 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:30 UTC

T wrote:
> Also, cheaper if I only have to buy one plant.

sure, plants can do all sorts of things
including smothering out other plants, choking
them or giving off chemicals which prevent other
plants seeds from sprouting, etc.

songbird