From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
Subject: Informative Quora - What was the best destroyer in WW2?
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:44:33 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:44 UTC

Wes Frank
Masters in American History from Northwestern University
Updated July 16, 2020

What was the best destroyer in WW2?

The quality of a ship class depends very much on what it is supposed to
be doing on a given assignment. Destroyers, in particular, were utility
ships in all the navies of World War II. They had a lot of different
jobs. Some destroyers were superior at some jobs, but inferior at others.

Many of us with a causal interest in naval warfare are familiar with the
more dramatic characteristics of a good destroyer: guns, torpedoes,
speed, ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) sensors and weapons, and AA
(Anti-Aircraft) weaponry. Richard Worth, in his excellent compact guide,
Fleets Of World War II, notes two other characteristics of a good naval
vessel to consider: expendability, the ship being cost-effective enough
that it could be risked in operations in dangerous waters, such as
patrolling the English Channel; and seaworthiness, which determined how
a vessel could do its job in rough waters, like the North Sea.

When I was a kid, I watched American movies and read American books and
comics featuring brave American submariners being hunted by Japanese
destroyers. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I realized that this
standard trope revealed a catastrophic failure of Japanese war planning.
The IJN (Imperial Japanese Navy) placed little value on anti-submarine
warfare. The Royal Navy, from its experience in the Great War,
understood that ASW was a vital task, and also that it required large
number of small, cheap, expendable ships, vessels much smaller and
cheaper to construct then destroyers. The tasks of escorting oceanic
convoys and patrolling inshore waters to protect local traffic was most
often, and more efficiently, handled by British corvettes and sloops
and, by the Americans, destroyer escorts. The most successful of these
escort ships were the British Flower class corvette . . .

.. . . And the USS Buckley class destroyer escort . . .

Of course, full-sized British and American destroyers, known
collectively as “fleet destroyers,” were also excellent at escort
duties. They would always be assigned to protect valuable surface ships
(the “fleet”) and were also assigned to reinforce convoy escorts against
U-Boat “wolfpacks.”

The British and Americans shared sensor technology—sonar, radar,
radio-direction finders, etc.—from 1940 on, along with anti-submarine
weaponry, tactics, patrol aircraft, and their first-rate command and
intelligence facilities ashore. The Canadian and other Commonwealth
navies shared this technology, as did the Dutch, Polish, and Norwegian
vessels serving with the British under their governments-in-exile.

In the Pacific, the Japanese never built the hundreds of small escort
vessels they needed to protect their merchant marine. Their sonar and
depth charge systems were primitive by Western standards. Consequently,
the American submarines routinely engaged convoys with few or no
escorts. Most attacks on American submarines were by destroyers diverted
reluctantly from fleet duties. In 1944 and 1945, the American submarine
fleet sank almost the entire Japanese merchant marine, and, later in the
campaign, deliberately attacked Japanese destroyers, sinking more of
them then the Allied surface navy.

Questions like this usually concern “fleet destroyers.” These are
typically the largest and newest destroyers in any navy. Their duty, per
doctrine, was to scout for, escort, and screen larger fleet units. They
would protect aircraft carriers, battleships, and cruisers against
submarine attacks and attacks by other surface vessels, attack the enemy
screen and fleet with guns and torpedoes, defend the fleet against air
attack, and support their own damaged or sinking ships.

The American, British, and Japanese navies all built fine fleet
destroyers. Italy’s destroyers were inferior in construction and
doctrine to the Royal Navy vessels they faced in the Mediterranean.
German destroyers were markedly inferior to those of the other navies
operating in the North Sea and the Arctic, as they lacked seaworthiness.
They were notably absent in most of the surface engagements after the
Norwegian conquest in 1940. They could not keep up with other German
ships in heavy seas and either fell behind or were left home.

British naval guns and torpedoes were excellent and British destroyer
captains utterly fearless in taking on any opponent, up to and including
battleships. However, their AA guns were not as good as they needed to
be and cost-cutting in construction left a lot of British destroyers
terribly vulnerable to bomb damage.

The Japanese fleet destroyers, powerfully built and with magnificently
trained crews, armed with the famous Long Lance torpedo, were among the
most dangerous surface opponents any nation could face. They inflicted
many devastating defeats on British, Dutch, and American cruiser task
forces in 1942 and 1943.

American destroyers were hampered by faulty torpedo designs in 1942, but
they mounted the finest destroyer gun of the war, the 5″ x 38 DP (Dual
Purpose). Combined with the latest allied investments in radar and
central fire control, no other destroyers came close to them in their
ability to destroy attacking aircraft.

All that said, my nominations for the best fleet destroyers of the war
would be, for a surface action, the Japanese Kagerō and Yūgumo class
destroyers . . .

Anyone facing that deadly combination of eight Long Lance tubes, six 5″
guns, Japanese night optics, and experienced Japanese crews was in dire
danger. Richard B. Frank, in Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the
Landmark Battle, concluded that a claim that one American ship suffered
an internal explosion rather than a Long Lance hit had to be true, as
“no one who was struck by a Long Lance ever mistook it for something else.”

And we have this statement from a American sailor on board USS New
Orleans in 1942:

I had to see. I walked alongside the silent turret two and was stopped
by a lifeline stretched from the outboard port lifeline to the side of
the turret. Thank God it was there, for one more step and I would have
pitched head first into the dark water thirty feet below. The bow was
gone. One hundred and twenty five feet of ship and number one main
battery turret with three 8 inch guns were gone. Eighteen hundred tons
of ship were gone. Oh my God, all those guys I went through boot camp
with - all gone.

All that said, for the full range of duties of a fleet destroyer, the
American Fletcher class destroyers were good enough to engage the best
Japanese ships and certainly in the same league as the British in
surface gunnery and ASW. They had excellent machinery and rugged
construction. In several cases Fletcher-class ships, pounded by shells
and bombs down to the point of their main decks just being above the
water, still refused to sink. And, of course, in a war eventually
dominated by air power, they were far, far better then their
contemporaries at AA defense. A Fletcher mounted five of the 5″ x 38
caliber DP guns noted above, along with ten 40 mm Bofers (Swedish
design) and 7 Oerlikon 20 mm (Swiss) cannon for close-in work. Fletchers
could chew through attacking aircraft as fast as most cruisers.

Along with their traditional fleet duties, Fletchers were also excellent
fire support vessels. The Americans took great care in linking both army
and Marine units to their supporting ships. At Sicily, Normandy, Tarawa,
and dozens of other landings, Fletchers would move in until they were
nearly aground and pour 5″ shells on enemy fortifications and
concentrations.

While the Fletchers were, as I noted, hampered by poor torpedoes in the
1942 surface battles, they fought well regardless. They scored several
victories with their guns and torpedoes in 1943, and were present in
every major naval operation of the United States navy for the rest of
the war.

31.5K viewsView 187 upvotesView shares
29 comments from
Eric Sprague
and more
includes:

Eric Sprague
January 11, 2018
Out of curiosity, how do you think the Sumners and Gearings stack up
against the Fletchers?

Wes Frank
January 12, 2018
I’ve only read a few pieces about them, but they appear to have
benefited from wartime experience. Which is to say, they had all the
good points of the Fletchers, plus a few improvements. The Aaron Ward
and Laffey, of course, had epic battles against the Japanese, each
absorbing a half dozen kamikazes without sinking.

The Fletchers were the ships that were around in 1942 and 1943 before
American strength became overwhelming, so they carried more of the
burden then the two newer classes.

Jonson Chin
March 24, 2020
From what I’ve read, the Fletchers were the most “satisfactory” US
destroyers of World War II. Reports stated that while the additional 5”
gun was welcome, that the Fletcher’s single 5” mounts were more “handy”.
In addition, I believe the Sumners lost a bit of performance in
comparison to the Fletchers.

The Gearings, being “stretched” Sumners, saw brief action if any late in
the war. Their greater length gave them more range.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Informative Quora - What was the best destroyer in WW2?

<yK-dnTeFCqgr35H8nZ2dnUU7-aOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=832&group=soc.history.war.misc#832

Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
From: gbl...@hnpl.net (George Black)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:57:42 +1200
 by: George Black - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:57 UTC

On 6/08/21 4:44 am, a425couple wrote:

> [...]
> to afford to modernise all the Battleships antiquated Steam Engines. Our
> ships should have been updated so they could do something like 30 knots
> instead of being 20 knot cripples waiting for a Uboat to intercept them
> like the poor Barham.
>
> They should never have bothered with building the Nelson and the Rodney
> my old workmate served on the Rodney on the Malta run while he was
> supposed to be getting over his hellish experience having his ship blown
> out of the water and dodging the German Army for a week when serving in
> HMS Hardy at Narvick.
>
> The poor man was almost deaf from shellfire he was in constant seabourne
> conflict from start to finish from 1939 to 1945 he finished off his
> wartime off the coast of Japan. Later because his paybook was missing in
> action he didnt’t get any compensation for his hearing injuries it was

This series of articles is why I come in here.
Who ever mentioned Walker thank you

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Informative Quora - What was the best destroyer in WW2?

<semheb01he8@news4.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=836&group=soc.history.war.misc#836

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 10:55:23 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:55 UTC

On 8/5/2021 12:57 PM, George Black wrote:
> On 6/08/21 4:44 am, a425couple wrote:
>>
>> Wes Frank
>> Masters in American History from Northwestern University
>> Updated July 16, 2020
>>
>> What was the best destroyer in WW2?
>>
>> The quality of a ship class depends very much on what it is supposed
>> to be doing on a given assignment. Destroyers, in particular, were
>> utility ships in all the navies of World War II. They had a lot of
>> different jobs. Some destroyers were superior at some jobs, but
>> inferior at others.
>>
>> Many of us with a causal interest in naval warfare are familiar with
>> the more dramatic characteristics of a good destroyer: guns,
>> torpedoes, speed, ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) sensors and weapons,
>> and AA (Anti-Aircraft) weaponry. -------
>>

> This series of articles is why I come in here.
> Who ever mentioned Walker  thank you

I do not know what 'mention' you are referring to.

Which "Walker" are you wanting to talk about?

Johnnie Walker the sub killer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_John_Walker
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/captain-johnnie-walker-hero-of-second-world-war

or

John Walker the US naval turncoat spy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anthony_Walker
https://news.usni.org/2014/09/02/john-walker-spy-ring-u-s-navys-biggest-betrayal

or another?

Re: Informative Quora - What was the best destroyer in WW2?

<a5mdnXIZPaxheJP8nZ2dnUU7-aednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=838&group=soc.history.war.misc#838

Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,alt.war.world-war-two
From: gbl...@hnpl.net (George Black)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 07:58:51 +1200
 by: George Black - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 19:58 UTC

On 8/08/21 5:55 am, a425couple wrote:
> On 8/5/2021 12:57 PM, George Black wrote:
>> On 6/08/21 4:44 am, a425couple wrote:
>>>
>>> Wes Frank
>>> Masters in American History from Northwestern University
>>> Updated July 16, 2020
>>>
>>> What was the best destroyer in WW2?
>>>
>>> The quality of a ship class depends very much on what it is supposed
>>> to be doing on a given assignment. Destroyers, in particular, were
>>> utility ships in all the navies of World War II. They had a lot of
>>> different jobs. Some destroyers were superior at some jobs, but
>>> inferior at others.
>>>
>>> Many of us with a causal interest in naval warfare are familiar with
>>> the more dramatic characteristics of a good destroyer: guns,
>>> torpedoes, speed, ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) sensors and weapons,
>>> and AA (Anti-Aircraft) weaponry. -------
>>>

>> This series of articles is why I come in here.
>> Who ever mentioned Walker  thank you
>>
> I do not know what 'mention' you are referring to.
>
> Which "Walker" are you wanting to talk about?
>
> Johnnie Walker the sub killer
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_John_Walker
> https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/captain-johnnie-walker-hero-of-second-world-war

Walker RN of course.