From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: alt.war.vietnam,soc.history.war.misc,sci.military.naval
Subject: from FB - Why I Wear a Vietnam Veterans Hat
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 07:45:24 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:45 UTC

from FB

Tom Thalmann asked a question in
Vietnam Veterans The Best Of The Best Of The Baby Boomers .
tgSpo1necso8rehdn ·

Why I Wear a Vietnam Veterans Hat

I live in an “active” senior residence. When I came home five fellow
residents were sitting outside enjoying the good weather. After the
usual greetings one man I know casually asked me. “Why do you wear that
Vietnam hat.”
I sat down next to him pausing for a few moments to gather my thoughts.
“That’s a tough question,” I replied.
“If you are looking for a simple answer, I don’t have one. I will have
to think this through.”
“My hat, you see, serves as an introduction to other veterans sparking a
conversation. The first question we always ask each other is where did
you serve and when? Which leads to another, even stronger desire. To
find common ground, did we serve in the same area? I’d be thrilled to
meet a brother SEAWOLF; or any veteran who served in the Brown Water
Navy or in the riverine area. I have not found a Seawolf (my unit) but
I have met several River Boat Sailors and SEALS.”
“Times have changed so much since then. Back in the sixty’s young men,
like you and I, faced the imminent prospect of being drafted. We were
compelled to make life altering decisions; with no clear-cut answer.
Speaking for myself, I never thought my decision would follow me across
the years, never. Well, I was wrong. We all were. Our options were
few: accepting the draft-Vietnam, volunteering (more choices), or
avoiding the draft by any means possible (draft dodger). I’m sure you
will remember it got rather ugly.”
“When my father came home at the end of WWII…he was a hero. When I
came home, I was a scum-bag (polite). For all us this was a painful
slap in the face. My Father served with honor… so did I. Over the next
fifty years my anger faded but the scar remains. In fact, my wearing
the Vietnam Veterans hat is a subtle manifestation of that scar. Let me
explain as it is complicated. Visualize two groups, those men who Did
(went into the service) and those who Did Not (avoid military service).
Today many Americans of the “Did Not” group stand up, consider
themselves to be patriots. Are they? Patriotism means more than
standing when our national anthem is played. Our freedom comes with a
bloody price. All Veterans paid that price, some more so than others.
“Now consider a man who successfully dodged the draft. I wonder what he
thinks when he sees any man wearing Vietnam hat. Does it give him pause
to reflect on those turbulent years? I hope seeing the hat sparks him
to reflect on his own actions. He may recall the anti-war slogans and
use them justify his position. However, deeply hidden in the recesses
of every man’s mind may lurk unthinkable thoughts about himself. If he
is a deep thinker, he might realize that his avoidance caused some other
poor SOB to be drafted in his place! It is possible that that
surrogate’s name is on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington
D.C. Yeah, it is possible. Think about it…everything comes with a price.”
“First and foremost, I wear my hat with PRIDE because I DID when many
DID NOT.”
“On a lighter side wearing the hat provides me with $5 or $10 worth of
discounts—a week. Hey a buck is a buck, right”

George Cargo
In the immediate years following the war, many veterans wore a cloak of
guilt for our role in Vietnam. We were shamed and criticized for serving
our country. Today we are a dwindling group of comrades who can finally
show our pride in service. The war, right or wrong, made us brothers.
Wear the hat with pride. You are survivors of both the battles in
Vietnam and the criticism of America.

Mike Williamson
George Cargo I’m proud to have served. Was an honor and privilege !