The decision doesn't have to be logical; it was unanimous.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Freeze

SubjectAuthor
* FreezeT
+- Re: Freezesongbird
+- Re: FreezeMichael Trew
+* Re: FreezeT
|`* Re: FreezeT
| `* Re: Freezesongbird
|  `* Re: FreezeT
|   `* Re: Freezesongbird
|    `* Re: FreezeT
|     `* Re: Freezesongbird
|      `- Re: FreezeT
`* Re: FreezeMichael Trew
 `- Re: Freezesongbird

1
Freeze

<ug4g7i$1cb2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=834&group=rec.gardens.edible#834

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Freeze
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:37:54 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
Wednesday night. So pick everything Wednesday
afternoon.

Re: Freeze

<mtvgvj-mbm.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=838&group=rec.gardens.edible#838

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Freeze
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:30:46 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 22:30 UTC

T wrote:
> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
> Wednesday night. So pick everything Wednesday
> afternoon.

anything that might be ruined by the cold.
beans already dry and in the shells won't be
destroyed by freezing as long as they don't
get wet.

songbird

Re: Freeze

<ug59la$1ld87$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=842&group=rec.gardens.edible#842

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 00:51:57 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 04:51 UTC

On 10/10/2023 5:37 PM, T wrote:
> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
> Wednesday night. So pick everything Wednesday
> afternoon.

Where is this at? The coldest it's getting in eastern Ohio is 38 over
the coming days. I haven't heard of a frost warning, yet.

Re: Freeze

<uh22lk$276l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=848&group=rec.gardens.edible#848

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:50:28 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 02:50 UTC

On 10/10/23 14:37, T wrote:
> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
> Wednesday night.  So pick everything Wednesday
> afternoon.

Well now, two days of freezing weather killed my
zucchini, eggplant, peppers, and cucumbers.

Weird. One if my eggplants has new growth at
its bottom.

My goji's loved the cold. My onions did not care.

Weirder yet: my cherry tomatoes survived. They
are now closer to my house in a stand up 20 gal
plastic pot.

And now we have a 85F daytime and 50F nighttime hot
spell. GGGGGRRRRRR

Re: Freeze

<uha25h$fsqr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=849&group=rec.gardens.edible#849

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:30:57 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 03:30 UTC

On 10/21/23 19:50, T wrote:
> On 10/10/23 14:37, T wrote:
>> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
>> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
>> Wednesday night.  So pick everything Wednesday
>> afternoon.
>

> Well now, two days of freezing weather killed my
> zucchini, eggplant, peppers, and cucumbers.
>
> Weird.  One if my eggplants has new growth at
> its bottom.
>
> My goji's loved the cold.  My onions did not care.
>
> Weirder yet: my cherry tomatoes survived.  They
> are now closer to my house in a stand up 20 gal
> plastic pot.
>
> And now we have a 85F daytime and 50F nighttime hot
> spell.  GGGGGRRRRRR

national weather forecast:

Tu night 42F
W night 26
Th night 25
F night 23
Sa night 19
Su night 21
M night 26

No way my tomatoes will escape this time. I will
pick what is left Wednesday.

Garlic arrived today. I will plant it at the same time.

Re: Freeze

<9cdn0k-585.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=850&group=rec.gardens.edible#850

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:13:29 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:13 UTC

T wrote:
> national weather forecast:
>
> Tu night 42F
> W night 26
> Th night 25
> F night 23
> Sa night 19
> Su night 21
> M night 26
>
> No way my tomatoes will escape this time. I will
> pick what is left Wednesday.

it's warmer here this morning, but i see it will cool
down again in a few days.

mainly i'm hoping for no rains as it is already wet
enough out there. i'd like to work in some gardens
and have it not be mud.

> Garlic arrived today. I will plant it at the same time.

:)

mostly it looks like i may just be shelling some more
beans today for a bit. these rains we keep getting are
spaced out just right to keep getting the ground too
wet and i'm not getting all the gardens put up soon but
eventually they'll get done either this fall or
sometimes i can do something in the early winter if the
weather is mild enough or then again i'll get them done
in the spring.

what i am not getting done as much as i'd like is
busting some more sod to expand a garden and reclaim it
from the grasses that want to take it back over.

oh and in really good news the south field may be
going into an environmental easement and that would be
really nice as then we won't have to worry about more
sprays from that direction.

songbird

Re: Freeze

<uhdfju$1hbp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=851&group=rec.gardens.edible#851

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:38:54 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:38 UTC

On 10/25/23 05:13, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> national weather forecast:
>>
>> Tu night 42F
>> W night 26
>> Th night 25
>> F night 23
>> Sa night 19
>> Su night 21
>> M night 26
>>
>> No way my tomatoes will escape this time. I will
>> pick what is left Wednesday.
>
> it's warmer here this morning, but i see it will cool
> down again in a few days.
>
> mainly i'm hoping for no rains as it is already wet
> enough out there. i'd like to work in some gardens
> and have it not be mud.
>

>> Garlic arrived today. I will plant it at the same time.
>
> :)
>

> mostly it looks like i may just be shelling some more
> beans today for a bit. these rains we keep getting are
> spaced out just right to keep getting the ground too
> wet and i'm not getting all the gardens put up soon but
> eventually they'll get done either this fall or
> sometimes i can do something in the early winter if the
> weather is mild enough or then again i'll get them done
> in the spring.
>
> what i am not getting done as much as i'd like is
> busting some more sod to expand a garden and reclaim it
> from the grasses that want to take it back over.
>
> oh and in really good news the south field may be
> going into an environmental easement and that would be
> really nice as then we won't have to worry about more
> sprays from that direction.
>

> songbird

What were they spraying?

I harvested my last tomatoes and gojis
I also planted my garlic. Picked a few
onions too. The rest I am over
wintering. They seem to like the
cold so far. My green onions adore cold.

It was about 35F all day, wind howling, and
a slight drizzle. It was cold! The
wind was so bad that any rain drops that
got me were quickly evaporated. It was
a bit miserable.

The worst part was picking all the cat scat
(not my "exact" word) out of garlic bed. I
added about 40 toothpicks, points up, to the
bed to run the cat off. And a good water in.

Oh and I did not user up the entire bag of
planting garlic, so I took the remainder
to the kitchen for food. (I paid a lot for
them, so I am not going to let them go to
waste.)

I under watered my garlic last season and got
marble sized bulbs. (You diagnosed it for
me based on a picture I posted,) How often
in the winter should I water? And should I
water through snow or just consider the snow
to be the watering?

-T

Re: Freeze

<ef3q0k-992.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=852&group=rec.gardens.edible#852

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:42:54 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:42 UTC

T wrote:
> What were they spraying?

herbicides and pesticides. i'm sure they
also were also applying the usual chemical
fertilizers needed for corn when they
planted that.

> I harvested my last tomatoes and gojis
> I also planted my garlic. Picked a few
> onions too. The rest I am over
> wintering. They seem to like the
> cold so far. My green onions adore cold.
>
> It was about 35F all day, wind howling, and
> a slight drizzle. It was cold! The
> wind was so bad that any rain drops that
> got me were quickly evaporated. It was
> a bit miserable.
>
> The worst part was picking all the cat scat
> (not my "exact" word) out of garlic bed. I
> added about 40 toothpicks, points up, to the
> bed to run the cat off. And a good water in.
>
> Oh and I did not user up the entire bag of
> planting garlic, so I took the remainder
> to the kitchen for food. (I paid a lot for
> them, so I am not going to let them go to
> waste.)

find a spot off to a side someplace where
you can poke it in a flower garden or wherever
and use it as a backup source for replanting
if needed - they may not grow great but it can
be a help to not have to spend money again for
garlic.

> I under watered my garlic last season and got
> marble sized bulbs. (You diagnosed it for
> me based on a picture I posted,) How often
> in the winter should I water? And should I
> water through snow or just consider the snow
> to be the watering?

yes, snow is watering and certainly do not
water through the snow unless there's a good
reason to do it (like it bone dry underneath).
basically if there's some snow cover that is
better than no snow cover because it will keep
the soil moisture from evaporating plus it
provides some insulation against the cold.

basically during the growing season you want
regular watering during the dry spells and then
ease off the last several weeks before harvest.
the usual amount of moisture here that works
well is about an inch to an inch and a half
per week.

for us the garlic quality was so poor this
past year because we had a really dry spring
up until the mid-summer and then it rained
quite a lot so the bulbs didn't dry down very
well and had a lot of marks on the garlic from
too much moisture. we can just cut away a
lot of those but on the whole it's probably
the worst year i've seen for quality. the
added complication of growing in heavy soil
makes it tough at times.

songbird

Re: Freeze

<uhf09k$1tplr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=853&group=rec.gardens.edible#853

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:29:40 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 00:29 UTC

On 10/26/23 05:42, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> What were they spraying?
>
> herbicides and pesticides. i'm sure they
> also were also applying the usual chemical
> fertilizers needed for corn when they
> planted that.

Conventional corn uses a boat load of nasty chemical.

>> I harvested my last tomatoes and gojis
>> I also planted my garlic. Picked a few
>> onions too. The rest I am over
>> wintering. They seem to like the
>> cold so far. My green onions adore cold.
>>
>> It was about 35F all day, wind howling, and
>> a slight drizzle. It was cold! The
>> wind was so bad that any rain drops that
>> got me were quickly evaporated. It was
>> a bit miserable.
>>
>> The worst part was picking all the cat scat
>> (not my "exact" word) out of garlic bed. I
>> added about 40 toothpicks, points up, to the
>> bed to run the cat off. And a good water in.
>>
>> Oh and I did not user up the entire bag of
>> planting garlic, so I took the remainder
>> to the kitchen for food. (I paid a lot for
>> them, so I am not going to let them go to
>> waste.)
>
> find a spot off to a side someplace where
> you can poke it in a flower garden or wherever
> and use it as a backup source for replanting
> if needed - they may not grow great but it can
> be a help to not have to spend money again for
> garlic.
>

>> I under watered my garlic last season and got
>> marble sized bulbs. (You diagnosed it for
>> me based on a picture I posted,) How often
>> in the winter should I water? And should I
>> water through snow or just consider the snow
>> to be the watering?
>
> yes, snow is watering and certainly do not
> water through the snow unless there's a good
> reason to do it (like it bone dry underneath).
> basically if there's some snow cover that is
> better than no snow cover because it will keep
> the soil moisture from evaporating plus it
> provides some insulation against the cold.
>
> basically during the growing season you want
> regular watering during the dry spells and then
> ease off the last several weeks before harvest.
> the usual amount of moisture here that works
> well is about an inch to an inch and a half
> per week.
>
> for us the garlic quality was so poor this
> past year because we had a really dry spring
> up until the mid-summer and then it rained
> quite a lot so the bulbs didn't dry down very
> well and had a lot of marks on the garlic from
> too much moisture. we can just cut away a
> lot of those but on the whole it's probably
> the worst year i've seen for quality. the
> added complication of growing in heavy soil
> makes it tough at times.
>

> songbird

Both my eggplants tried to product new leaves after
the first freeze.

Yesterday I noticed that one had three flowers on the
new growth. Made me feel both proud of it and sad
for it for what was coming that night.

Re: Freeze

<fqms0k-h64.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=854&group=rec.gardens.edible#854

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:25:19 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 12:25 UTC

T wrote:
> Yesterday I noticed that one had three flowers on the
> new growth. Made me feel both proud of it and sad
> for it for what was coming that night.

yes, it's 72F here for today's forecast but will be
back to freezing and chances of snow next Tues.

time to hibernate...

songbird

Re: Freeze

<uhh867$2f2pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=855&group=rec.gardens.edible#855

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:56:39 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:56 UTC

On 10/27/23 05:25, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Yesterday I noticed that one had three flowers on the
>> new growth. Made me feel both proud of it and sad
>> for it for what was coming that night.
>
> yes, it's 72F here for today's forecast but will be
> back to freezing and chances of snow next Tues.
>
> time to hibernate...
>

> songbird

You mean time for me to pull out all the
dead stuff to limit cover for overwinter
squash bugs, etc.. And to feel guilty for
not jumping right it.

Re: Freeze

<uhse0u$1a790$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=856&group=rec.gardens.edible#856

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 22:43:45 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 02:43 UTC

On 10/10/2023 5:37 PM, T wrote:
> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
> Wednesday night. So pick everything Wednesday
> afternoon.

First freeze here is tonight. I could go pick the green tomatoes, but
I'm not really feeling it. There's nothing spectacular left out there.

Re: Freeze

<c7r91k-882.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=857&group=rec.gardens.edible#857

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:00:12 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:00 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> On 10/10/2023 5:37 PM, T wrote:
>> Looks like Wednesday will be the end of gardening.
>> The weather service is predicting a 28F freeze
>> Wednesday night. So pick everything Wednesday
>> afternoon.
>
> First freeze here is tonight. I could go pick the green tomatoes, but
> I'm not really feeling it. There's nothing spectacular left out there.

we had some snow yesterday, but it didn't stick
for very long. looks pretty frosty out there this
morning as the sun is coming up.

more bean shelling today. maybe i get the last
bag done or not we'll see... there's two flats
left so that's about three hours of shelling and
probably more sitting than i care to do today but
no rush at this point.

songbird