"He flung himself on his horse and rode madly off in all directions."

interests / rec.games.backgammon / Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ...BlueDice
+* Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ...Simon Woodhead
|`* Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]Simon Woodhead
| +- Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]BlueDice
| `- Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]BlueDice
`- Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ...Timothy Chow

1
Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ... maybe even too long

<e7dfe16a-d2e6-4979-92b1-503da16e7a76n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8796&group=rec.games.backgammon#8796

Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 11:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ...
maybe even too long
From: bluedice...@gmail.com (BlueDice)
 by: BlueDice - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:55 UTC

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 7:27:20 PM UTC, smcrtorchs wrote:
> [...]
> | O | | |
> | O | | |
> | O | | |
> | O X | | X X X O | On roll
> | O X | | X X X O | 0 points
> +12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:
> Pip counts: O 167, X 155
>
> X wins 61
>

> How far can this counting go? Pretty far, if you keep adjusting the value of each point and spare according to a logical way you can count pretty complicated positions. But this is another subject and the message is already too long.
>
> Just a small example of what I mean by adjusting.
>
> The value of having the opponent's 5 point and being on roll is 7%.
>

> +13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
> | X O | | O X | 0 points
> | X O | | O X |
> | X O | | O |
> | X | | O |
> | X | | O |
> v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
> | O | | X |
> | O | | X |
> | O X | | X |
> | O X | | X O | On roll
> | O X | | X O | 0 points
> +12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:
> Pip counts: O 167, X 159
>
> X wins 59.7
>

> But if the opponent has his bar formed, and you hold his 5 point then this takes away part of the opponent's advantage of having the bar point. Therefore in that case,you should adjust the value of opponent's 5 point and increase it by 2.6, the 5 point is now worth 9.6.
>

> +13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
> | X O O | | O X | 0 points
> | X O O | | O X |
> | X | | O |
> | X | | O |
> | X | | O |
> v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
> | | | X |
> | O | | X |
> | O X | | X |
> | O X | | X O | On roll
> | O X | | X O | 0 points
> +12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:
> Pip counts: O 160, X 167
>

> X wins 46.5

> +13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
> | X O O | | O X | 0 points
> | X O O | | O X |
> | X | | O |
> | X | | O |
> | X | | O |
> v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
> | | | X |
> | O | | X |
> | O X | | X |
> | O X | | X O | On roll
> | O X | | X O | 0 points
> +12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:
> Pip counts: O 160, X 159
>
> X wins 56.1
>

> Learning this difference as an integer of 2 or 3 is quite easy as many adjustments have this typical value around 2%. And if you understand the why, then you can also very easily understand that the correct play for 43 after an opponent's 61 is 24/20 24/21.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: An example of a reference system ... unfortunately quite long ... maybe even too long

<t51eqj$2j1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8797&group=rec.games.backgammon#8797

From: sim...@bglog.org (Simon Woodhead)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
maybe even too long
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 07:15:59 +1000
 by: Simon Woodhead - Thu, 5 May 2022 21:15 UTC

On 6/05/2022 4:55 am, BlueDice wrote:

> Great stuff!
> I've only just come across this while searching for something else...
> I see that you have included the GNUBG ID for the first position diagram but not the others.
> Try as I might I cannot display the others so that they become intelligible.
> I have copied and pasted elsewhere and used an equi-spaced font but no joy.
> If you do happen to have the GNBG ID's for these please post.
> Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> --
> BD

Here's the original post, not munged by google groups...

[...]

From MCG's article on reference positions at gammonvillage:

"Reference positions are both precise and easy to remember.

The best kinds of reference positions are ones where a decision is
either always right or is
borderline."

Reference systems certainly need to be easy to remember.
But they do not need to be precise and always right or borderline. The
player needs to memorize BP'S winning and gammon percentages rounded to
the nearest integer. As the player later makes changes to the position
trying to understand the reference system, the player tries to remember
the value of each change. Maybe all this sounds too complicated and
maybe you do not have a strong memory. Well neither do I, but I can
remember the reference systems. The reason is that there are shortcuts
available for every step.

An example of a huge reference system that someone can find for free and
online is Kit's excellent article around the 5 point holding games.

http://www.bkgm.com/articles/GOL/May01/hold.htm

Personally I do find it hard to remember, but let's examine what can
make a reference system easy to remember.

1) The reference system is based around a simple position. The easier it
is to remember this position the easier to remember the whole system.

For example, what if this position was used as a BP for 5 point holding
games?

GNU Backgammon Position ID: 4HPGBwDgc/ABAw

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O: O
| X O O | | O X | 0 points
| X O O | | O X |
| X O | | O |
| X | | O |
| X | | O |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| O | | X |
| O | | X |
| O X | | X |
> [...]

certainly be expanded. The reason I present this system and not another,
is that it is the only one that I have rolled out positions from it and
I feel strange at presenting positions without rollouts. It examines the
winning percentage of the player on roll (WP) who has an anchor X points
away from an anchor of the opponent, where X equals 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

First let's talk about the BP of the system. To create it, I thought
along those lines:

1) Let's focus on the WPP when there is no racing equity for the
opponent. This can help in general cube decisions, if the racing chances
of the player can also be calculated.
2) Only 2 checkers of X and 2 checkers of O are necessary to form the
condition I want to study. As the most common variant found in normal
holding games is the one below, I will use it for the BP

v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| O | | | XXX On roll
| O | | | XXX 0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

3) I want to create a huge pip difference between X and O, but not give
X a crunched position as in games usually X's board is not crunched. I
also want to form a prime with O's checkers to make sure that when he
hits it works.

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
| X O O O O O | | O | 0 points
| X O O O O O | | O |
| O | | |
| | | |
| | | |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | X |
| O | | X X X X X X | On roll
| O | | X X X X X X | 0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

Now, I am a bit afraid that GNU will not recognise the outside prime, so
I will move it up forward up to the 4 point. The pip difference is still
very big, 51 pips.

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
| X O O O O | | O O O | 0 points
| X O O O | | O O O |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | X |
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]

<t51m94$o4r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8798&group=rec.games.backgammon#8798

From: sim...@bglog.org (Simon Woodhead)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Subject: Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:23:05 +1000
 by: Simon Woodhead - Thu, 5 May 2022 23:23 UTC

I've added ids. All positions are assumed to be money, as the OP didn't
indicate that this system applies to match scores and match scores
aren't mentioned anywhere.

This post can be viewed with a graphical board at
https://bglog.org/rgbnews.html

[OP: Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 7:27:20 PM UTC, smcrtorchs wrote:]

[...]

From MCG's article on reference positions at gammonvillage:

[...]

XGID=------E-C---eE-b-c-eB-----:0:0:1:00:0:0:3:0:10
Position ID: 4HPGBwDgc/ABAw Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O: O
| X O O | | O X | 0 points
| X O O | | O X |
| X O | | O |
| X | | O |
| X | | O |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| O | | X |
| O | | X |
| O X | | X |
| O X | | X | On roll
| O X | | X | 0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X: X
Pip counts: O 139, X 159

The race difference is 20 pips here and according to XG mobile's 3 ply,
X wins 75% here. For sure this is far from a late game 5 point position
as Kit's position is.
But I believe that there is a reason why Kit chose his position and I
chose mine. Our minds work differently and we define a 5 point holding
game in a different way. I guess that Kit's position carries for him all
the necessary elements of a 5 point holding game. Therefore I believe
that he would be able to reconstruct this position easily just by making
sure that his position has all these elements, even if he did not
remember the exact position.

Same goes for me. I can remember this position very easily, because I
know the logical way that I created it. Even if that way was "let's put
X's checkers on the 5 point and let's throw O's back checkers wherever
we have to in order to make a 20 pip difference." I do not really have
to remember this position, because my mind will work the same way next
time and recreate it from the beginning if it has to. Maybe Kit's system
has more value than the one I propose, still mine has much value as well
and I can remember it easily by asking my self: "what would be a good BP
to start with for this system?" As you will see, such an approach can
give to the reference systems a personal characteristic. They might be
easy for everyone to remember but for sure they will be easy to remember
for the player who makes them.

2) The changes that you make to the BP follow a pattern and the value of
the changes follows a pattern as well. If this happens great. You can
memorise it easily. If the pattern deviates instead, then you know that
something is happening that you do not understand and this can prove a
great learning tool.

The system I will use as an example is a small one, is not full and can
certainly be expanded. The reason I present this system and not another,
is that it is the only one that I have rolled out positions from it and
I feel strange at presenting positions without rollouts. It examines the
winning percentage of the player on roll (WP) who has an anchor X points
away from an anchor of the opponent, where X equals 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

First let's talk about the BP of the system. To create it, I thought
along those lines:

1) Let's focus on the WPP when there is no racing equity for the
opponent. This can help in general cube decisions, if the racing chances
of the player can also be calculated.
2) Only 2 checkers of X and 2 checkers of O are necessary to form the
condition I want to study. As the most common variant found in normal
holding games is the one below, I will use it for the BP

XGID=-------b-----B------------:0:0:1:00:0:0:3:0:10
Position ID: AAAGAIABAAAAAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
| X | | | OOO 0 points
| X | | | OOO
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| O | | | XXX On roll
| O | | | XXX 0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

3) I want to create a huge pip difference between X and O, but not give
X a crunched position as in games usually X's board is not crunched. I
also want to form a prime with O's checkers to make sure that when he
hits it works.

XGID=-BBBBBCb-----Bcbbbbb------:0:0:1:00:0:0:3:0:10
Position ID: YNt2wADbtgMGAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
| X O O O O O | | O | 0 points
| X O O O O O | | O |
| O | | |
| | | |
| | | |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | X |
| O | | X X X X X X | On roll
| O | | X X X X X X | 0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

Now, I am a bit afraid that GNU will not recognise the outside prime, so
I will move it up forward up to the 4 point. The pip difference is still
very big, 51 pips.

XGID=-BBBBBCb-----Ba-bbbbbb----:0:0:1:00:0:0:3:0:10
Position ID: 2LZNwADbtgMGAA Match ID: cAkAAAAAAAAA

+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+ O:
| X O O O O | | O O O | 0 points
| X O O O | | O O O |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
v| |BAR| | (Cube: 1)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | X |
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+ X:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: An example of a reference system [WITH gnuBG and XG ids]

<cb087435-af58-41e0-84f6-6047c329618bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8802&group=rec.games.backgammon#8802

Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 04:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: davidgal...@gmail.com (BlueDice)
 by: BlueDice - Fri, 6 May 2022 11:55 UTC

<79f436bc-43d4-4d5e-85d2-a3c09ef3c6adn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8803&group=rec.games.backgammon#8803

Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 04:58:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: bluedice...@gmail.com (BlueDice)
 by: BlueDice - Fri, 6 May 2022 11:58 UTC

<t536uc$1i3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=8807&group=rec.games.backgammon#8807

From: tchow12...@yahoo.com (Timothy Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
maybe even too long
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:13:47 -0400
 by: Timothy Chow - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:13 UTC

On 5/5/2022 2:55 PM, BlueDice wrote:
> I've only just come across this while searching for something else...
> I see that you have included the GNUBG ID for the first position diagram but not the others.
> Try as I might I cannot display the others so that they become intelligible.
> I have copied and pasted elsewhere and used an equi-spaced font but no joy.
> If you do happen to have the GNBG ID's for these please post.

Unfortunately, smcrtorchs stopped participating in r.g.b. many years
ago. But it seems that Simon has kindly solved your problem.

---
Tim Chow