From: tchow12...@yahoo.com (Timothy Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Subject: Re: OT: Does Tim maybe overuse the word "Procrustean" a bit?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 08:36:57 -0400
 by: Timothy Chow - Wed, 25 May 2022 12:36 UTC

On 5/24/2022 9:06 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
> Previously, there was a thread on the use of the word "Procrustean" (among other things).
> But now it occurs to me that the compound word "one-size-fits-all" seems
> to say exactly the same thing in the same number of syllables, using much
> more common and easily accessible vocab? Furthermore, the cost
> in increased characters would appear small.

There is certainly a difference in connotation.

"One-size-fits-all" makes me think of socks that can stretch to
accommodate feet of all different sizes. Something invented by
an ingenious entrepreneur.

"Procrustean" makes me think of chopping off people's toes to
make them fit into a fixed-size shoe. Something a small-minded
tyrant with some power would do.

---
Tim Chow

Re: OT: Does Tim maybe overuse the word "Procrustean" a bit?

<90710989-9893-4439-b386-5f8e4ad0a2ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9004&group=rec.games.backgammon#9004

Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 01:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: pepste...@gmail.com (peps...@gmail.com)
 by: peps...@gmail.com - Thu, 26 May 2022 08:15 UTC

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 1:37:01 PM UTC+1, Tim Chow wrote:
> On 5/24/2022 9:06 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Previously, there was a thread on the use of the word "Procrustean" (among other things).
> > But now it occurs to me that the compound word "one-size-fits-all" seems
> > to say exactly the same thing in the same number of syllables, using much
> > more common and easily accessible vocab? Furthermore, the cost
> > in increased characters would appear small.
> There is certainly a difference in connotation.
>
> "One-size-fits-all" makes me think of socks that can stretch to
> accommodate feet of all different sizes. Something invented by
> an ingenious entrepreneur.

I googled the usage of "one-size-fits-all" a bit.
The adjective tends to have highly positive or highly negative connotations, depending on the qualified noun.
It is indeed positive when qualifying clothing (as you say), but almost always highly negative when qualifying
"approach".

However, "Procrustean" (as I understand it) (almost) never has positive connotations.
I'm not convinced that the word "Procrustean" is therefore necessary (or even particularly valuable)
since when "one-size-fits-all" is used as a synonym for "Procrustean", I think the meaning is clear.

Paul

Re: OT: Does Tim maybe overuse the word "Procrustean" a bit?

<t6vr47$bmd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9023&group=rec.games.backgammon#9023

From: tchow12...@yahoo.com (Timothy Chow)
Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 09:06:12 -0400
 by: Timothy Chow - Sun, 29 May 2022 13:06 UTC

On 5/26/2022 4:15 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
> However, "Procrustean" (as I understand it) (almost) never has positive connotations.
> I'm not convinced that the word "Procrustean" is therefore necessary (or even particularly valuable)
> since when "one-size-fits-all" is used as a synonym for "Procrustean", I think the meaning is clear.

There are other reasons to use "procrustean." A person
can be described as procrustean. It would be odd, and would
not really convey the same meaning, to say that a person is
"one-size-fits-all."

Also, even if used with a negative connotation, "one-size-fits-all"
does not necessarily suggest that anything is being forcibly altered
in order to fit into a fixed framework. If I'm an editor and you
submit a photo to be published, then a procrustean approach suggests
that I'll crop your photo, perhaps in a grotesque manner, to fit the
space that I've allotted. A one-size-fits-all approach might mean
that I enlarge or shrink your photo to fit the space.

---
Tim Chow

Re: OT: Does Tim maybe overuse the word "Procrustean" a bit?

<15a5adbf-98d5-489c-8e04-9723724545d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9024&group=rec.games.backgammon#9024

Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 06:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: pepste...@gmail.com (peps...@gmail.com)
 by: peps...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 May 2022 13:12 UTC

On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 2:06:18 PM UTC+1, Tim Chow wrote:
> On 5/26/2022 4:15 AM, peps...@gmail.com wrote:
> > However, "Procrustean" (as I understand it) (almost) never has positive connotations.
> > I'm not convinced that the word "Procrustean" is therefore necessary (or even particularly valuable)
> > since when "one-size-fits-all" is used as a synonym for "Procrustean", I think the meaning is clear.
> There are other reasons to use "procrustean." A person
> can be described as procrustean. It would be odd, and would
> not really convey the same meaning, to say that a person is
> "one-size-fits-all."
>
> Also, even if used with a negative connotation, "one-size-fits-all"
> does not necessarily suggest that anything is being forcibly altered
> in order to fit into a fixed framework. If I'm an editor and you
> submit a photo to be published, then a procrustean approach suggests
> that I'll crop your photo, perhaps in a grotesque manner, to fit the
> space that I've allotted. A one-size-fits-all approach might mean
> that I enlarge or shrink your photo to fit the space.

Good points. I didn't know that "procrustean" could apply to a person, but now that you
say it, it makes sense. I think Dickens's famous novels had a lot of people who could
be described thus.

Paul