Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Subject: Purrs for Buffy
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:58:57 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:58 UTC

Her troubles aren't over. The vet had told me after the teeth
extractions on 4/16 Buffy had quite a bit of bone loss and the abscess
(infection) under one of the molars was nasty. Strong antibiotics,
liquid pain meds, she was doing much better a week later.

Then last week I noticed litterbox problems. She was eating and
drinking, acting like she felt fine. She'd even started eating her dry
kibble again, despite the missing five teeth. But she was urinating but
not pooping. I called but had a hard time getting an appointment.

The vet suggested I mix a little olive oil into her wet food to help
things along. I was surprised but she ate it. For about four days.
And it helped a little but I wasn't seeing "normal" output. She started
turning her nose up at the food with olive oil. And no, she won't eat
canned pumpkin. Meanwhile, no appointments had opened up.

Then her eye started weeping again and her cheek is a bit swollen again
- not as much as before, but still. And she started acting really
punky. Oh no. I managed to get her in today. (And definitely let them
know they dropped the ball because when I first called about the lack of
poop they promised to call me the minute there was a cancellation and
they didn't.)

The vet has some potentially bad news. It appears Buffy might have a
cancerous tumor. She did a full body X-ray to rule out chest
involvement and that turned out fine. They can't tell from the dental
X-ray if there is a tumor or not. She saw a little stool in her colon
that could not be felt when she palpitated Buffy's belly, but no blockages.

This isn't a specialized veterinary practice, she and her colleagues
cannot say for sure at this juncture but they suspect cancer. :(

In the meantime, she was given IV fluids, another shot of strong
antibiotics and a cortisone shot to help reduce the swelling in her jaw.
All our fingers are crossed that maybe it's just a stubborn infection.

I'm to watch her over the weekend and make sure she eats and drinks and
of course call them ASAP if she gets worse. The vet will call me on
Monday to check on her to see what's going on.

Buffy needs some purrs, please.

Jill

Re: Purrs for Buffy

<if3iptFn5eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=88&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#88

From: cperk...@mun.ca (Cheryl)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Subject: Re: Purrs for Buffy
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:09:42 -0230
 by: Cheryl - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:39 UTC

On 2021-04-30 7:28 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> Her troubles aren't over.  The vet had told me after the teeth
> extractions on 4/16 Buffy had quite a bit of bone loss and the abscess
> (infection) under one of the molars was nasty.  Strong antibiotics,
> liquid pain meds, she was doing much better a week later.
>
> Then last week I noticed litterbox problems.  She was eating and
> drinking, acting like she felt fine.  She'd even started eating her dry
> kibble again, despite the missing five teeth.  But she was urinating but
> not pooping.  I called but had a hard time getting an appointment.
>
> The vet suggested I mix a little olive oil into her wet food to help
> things along.  I was surprised but she ate it.  For about four days. And
> it helped a little but I wasn't seeing "normal" output.  She started
> turning her nose up at the food with olive oil.  And no, she won't eat
> canned pumpkin.  Meanwhile, no appointments had opened up.
>
> Then her eye started weeping again and her cheek is a bit swollen again
> - not as much as before, but still.  And she started acting really
> punky.  Oh no.  I managed to get her in today. (And definitely let them
> know they dropped the ball because when I first called about the lack of
> poop they promised to call me the minute there was a cancellation and
> they didn't.)
>
> The vet has some potentially bad news.  It appears Buffy might have a
> cancerous tumor.  She did a full body X-ray to rule out chest
> involvement and that turned out fine.  They can't tell from the dental
> X-ray if there is a tumor or not.  She saw a little stool in her colon
> that could not be felt when she palpitated Buffy's belly, but no blockages.
>
> This isn't a specialized veterinary practice, she and her colleagues
> cannot say for sure at this juncture but they suspect cancer. :(
>
> In the meantime, she was given IV fluids, another shot of strong
> antibiotics and a cortisone shot to help reduce the swelling in her jaw.
> All our fingers are crossed that maybe it's just a stubborn infection.
>
> I'm to watch her over the weekend and make sure she eats and drinks and
> of course call them ASAP if she gets worse.  The vet will call me on
> Monday to check on her to see what's going on.
>
> Buffy needs some purrs, please.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Purrs for Buffy.

Cheryl

--
Cheryl

Re: Purrs for Buffy

<eSbjI.163400$PE7.58@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=89&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#89

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 08:31:03 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 1 May 2021 12:31 UTC

On 4/30/2021 7:39 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 2021-04-30 7:28 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> Her troubles aren't over.  The vet had told me after the teeth
>> extractions on 4/16 Buffy had quite a bit of bone loss and the abscess
>> (infection) under one of the molars was nasty.  Strong antibiotics,
>> liquid pain meds, she was doing much better a week later.
>>
>> Then last week I noticed litterbox problems.  She was eating and
>> drinking, acting like she felt fine.  She'd even started eating her
>> dry kibble again, despite the missing five teeth.  But she was
>> urinating but not pooping.  I called but had a hard time getting an
>> appointment.
>>
>> The vet suggested I mix a little olive oil into her wet food to help
>> things along.  I was surprised but she ate it.  For about four days.
>> And it helped a little but I wasn't seeing "normal" output.  She
>> started turning her nose up at the food with olive oil.  And no, she
>> won't eat canned pumpkin.  Meanwhile, no appointments had opened up.
>>
>> Then her eye started weeping again and her cheek is a bit swollen
>> again - not as much as before, but still.  And she started acting
>> really punky.  Oh no.  I managed to get her in today. (And definitely
>> let them know they dropped the ball because when I first called about
>> the lack of poop they promised to call me the minute there was a
>> cancellation and they didn't.)
>>
>> The vet has some potentially bad news.  It appears Buffy might have a
>> cancerous tumor.  She did a full body X-ray to rule out chest
>> involvement and that turned out fine.  They can't tell from the dental
>> X-ray if there is a tumor or not.  She saw a little stool in her colon
>> that could not be felt when she palpitated Buffy's belly, but no
>> blockages.
>>
>> This isn't a specialized veterinary practice, she and her colleagues
>> cannot say for sure at this juncture but they suspect cancer. :(
>>
>> In the meantime, she was given IV fluids, another shot of strong
>> antibiotics and a cortisone shot to help reduce the swelling in her
>> jaw. All our fingers are crossed that maybe it's just a stubborn
>> infection.
>>
>> I'm to watch her over the weekend and make sure she eats and drinks
>> and of course call them ASAP if she gets worse.  The vet will call me
>> on Monday to check on her to see what's going on.
>>
>> Buffy needs some purrs, please.
>>

> I'm so sorry to hear this.
>
> Purrs for Buffy.
>
> Cheryl

Thank you, Cheryl.

Jill

Re: Purrs for Buffy

<Oq-dnTnqDPHxhRP9nZ2dnUU7-dHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=90&group=rec.pets.cats.anecdotes#90

From: cshe...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 22:11:40 -0500
 by: cshenk - Sun, 2 May 2021 03:11 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> Her troubles aren't over. The vet had told me after the teeth
> extractions on 4/16 Buffy had quite a bit of bone loss and the
> abscess (infection) under one of the molars was nasty. Strong
> antibiotics, liquid pain meds, she was doing much better a week later.
>
> Then last week I noticed litterbox problems. She was eating and
> drinking, acting like she felt fine. She'd even started eating her
> dry kibble again, despite the missing five teeth. But she was
> urinating but not pooping. I called but had a hard time getting an
> appointment.
>
> The vet suggested I mix a little olive oil into her wet food to help
> things along. I was surprised but she ate it. For about four days.
> And it helped a little but I wasn't seeing "normal" output. She
> started turning her nose up at the food with olive oil. And no, she
> won't eat canned pumpkin. Meanwhile, no appointments had opened up.
>
> Then her eye started weeping again and her cheek is a bit swollen
> again - not as much as before, but still. And she started acting
> really punky. Oh no. I managed to get her in today. (And definitely
> let them know they dropped the ball because when I first called about
> the lack of poop they promised to call me the minute there was a
> cancellation and they didn't.)
>
> The vet has some potentially bad news. It appears Buffy might have a
> cancerous tumor. She did a full body X-ray to rule out chest
> involvement and that turned out fine. They can't tell from the
> dental X-ray if there is a tumor or not. She saw a little stool in
> her colon that could not be felt when she palpitated Buffy's belly,
> but no blockages.
>
> This isn't a specialized veterinary practice, she and her colleagues
> cannot say for sure at this juncture but they suspect cancer. :(
>
> In the meantime, she was given IV fluids, another shot of strong
> antibiotics and a cortisone shot to help reduce the swelling in her
> jaw. All our fingers are crossed that maybe it's just a stubborn
> infection.
>
> I'm to watch her over the weekend and make sure she eats and drinks
> and of course call them ASAP if she gets worse. The vet will call me
> on Monday to check on her to see what's going on.
>
> Buffy needs some purrs, please.
>
> Jill

Prince tries to purr while Luko helps him with a deep strong one.