The Killer Ducks are coming!!!

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: gardening season opener

SubjectAuthor
* gardening season openersongbird
+* Re: gardening season openerSnag
|+* Re: gardening season openerT
||+* Re: gardening season openersongbird
|||`* Re: gardening season openerSnag
||| `* Re: gardening season openerT
|||  `- Re: gardening season openerSnag
||`- Re: gardening season openercshenk
|`* Re: gardening season openercshenk
| `* Re: gardening season openerSnag
|  +* Re: gardening season openerT
|  |+- Re: gardening season openerSnag
|  |`* Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  | `* Re: gardening season openerT
|  |  `* Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  |   +* Re: gardening season openerT
|  |   |+* Re: gardening season openerSnag
|  |   ||`- Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  |   |`- Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  |   `* Re: gardening season openerT
|  |    `* Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  |     `- Re: gardening season openercshenk
|  `* Re: gardening season openercshenk
|   `- Re: gardening season openerSnag
`* Re: gardening season openerDan Purgert
 +* Re: gardening season openercshenk
 |+- Re: gardening season openerSnag
 |`* Re: gardening season openerSnag
 | `- Re: gardening season openerDan Purgert
 `* Re: gardening season openersongbird
  `- Re: gardening season openerDan Purgert

Pages:12
Re: gardening season opener

<qr-dnTIqIb3k6mr4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=903&group=rec.gardens.edible#903

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Re: gardening season opener
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:06:33 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:06 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:

> On 2024-03-04, songbird wrote:
> > yesterday it was warm enough to get outside and
> > start some gardening tasks. i scraped a few hundred
> > square feet after burying some garlic and onion seeds
> > down deep enough that they'll have a tough time
> > coming back up (i also put some cardboard over them).
>
> Nice.
>
> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few
> weeks. Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard
> to try, plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the
> kiddos for sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.
>

> > deer already found some of the spring flowers.
> pests.

None of my seeds show sigh of life yet. (dripping tears)

Re: gardening season opener

<ut8284$3qf79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=904&group=rec.gardens.edible#904

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:35:13 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 00:35 UTC

On 3/17/2024 6:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-04, songbird wrote:
>>> yesterday it was warm enough to get outside and
>>> start some gardening tasks. i scraped a few hundred
>>> square feet after burying some garlic and onion seeds
>>> down deep enough that they'll have a tough time
>>> coming back up (i also put some cardboard over them).
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
>> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few
>> weeks. Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard
>> to try, plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the
>> kiddos for sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.
>>

>>> deer already found some of the spring flowers.
>> pests.
>
> None of my seeds show sigh of life yet. (dripping tears)

I've got 25 taters (of 40 planted) peeping thru , plus red beets ,
bok choy , spinach , and today I saw the first strawberry blossom .
Everything but the strawberries was planted outdoors starting on 2/24 .
Looks like I need some new lettuce seed , doesn't look like any of what
I planted germinated .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: gardening season opener

<ut84ac$3qqr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=905&group=rec.gardens.edible#905

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:10:32 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 01:10 UTC

On 3/17/2024 6:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-04, songbird wrote:
>>> yesterday it was warm enough to get outside and
>>> start some gardening tasks. i scraped a few hundred
>>> square feet after burying some garlic and onion seeds
>>> down deep enough that they'll have a tough time
>>> coming back up (i also put some cardboard over them).
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
>> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few
>> weeks. Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard
>> to try, plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the
>> kiddos for sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.
>>

>>> deer already found some of the spring flowers.
>> pests.
>
> None of my seeds show sigh of life yet. (dripping tears)

Forgot to mention the red/yellow/orange bell pepper and 3 kinds of
tomato seedlings in trays in the dining room window ... other stuff to
start closer to last frost date .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: gardening season opener

<slrnuvg2fb.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=906&group=rec.gardens.edible#906

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:31:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:31 UTC

On 2024-03-18, Snag wrote:
> On 3/17/2024 6:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Dan Purgert wrote:

>>> Nice.
>>>
>>> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
>>> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few
>>> weeks. Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard
>>> to try, plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the
>>> kiddos for sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.

>>> pests.
>>
>> None of my seeds show sigh of life yet. (dripping tears)
>>

> Forgot to mention the red/yellow/orange bell pepper and 3 kinds of
> tomato seedlings in trays in the dining room window ... other stuff to
> start closer to last frost date .

Good bit of stuff for the garden from the sounds of it. Don't have too
much sun here (trees shade the yard quite well), but leafy things did
pretty okay last year, as did radishes and other "quick-harvest" things
like that.

Though I think my main problem is "poor soil" -- I did comparatively
little there, as I want to take it slow to give myself time to learn and
also time for the plots themselves to get their own soil life, etc.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: gardening season opener

<qpnlck-034.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=907&group=rec.gardens.edible#907

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:14:18 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:14 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-03-04, songbird wrote:
>> yesterday it was warm enough to get outside and
>> start some gardening tasks. i scraped a few hundred
>> square feet after burying some garlic and onion seeds
>> down deep enough that they'll have a tough time
>> coming back up (i also put some cardboard over them).
>
> Nice.
>
> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few weeks.
> Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard to try,
> plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the kiddos for
> sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.

we've gone back to colder again, like this morning when
i went to take the trash out there's a little snow on the
ground and it was cold enough overnight to refreeze the
surface. there won't be any gardening done here today...

>> deer already found some of the spring flowers.
> pests.

yeah...

songbird

Re: gardening season opener

<slrnuvge0u.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=908&group=rec.gardens.edible#908

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:48:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:48 UTC

On 2024-03-18, songbird wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2024-03-04, songbird wrote:
>>> yesterday it was warm enough to get outside and
>>> start some gardening tasks. i scraped a few hundred
>>> square feet after burying some garlic and onion seeds
>>> down deep enough that they'll have a tough time
>>> coming back up (i also put some cardboard over them).
>>
>> Nice.
>>
>> With our (90%) frost date (allegedly) being April 15th, I filled out
>> some seed trays yesterday for planting out in the garden in a few weeks.
>> Not a whole lot to speak of -- some lettuces and swiss chard to try,
>> plus some chives. A few cells have been commandeered by the kiddos for
>> sunflowers as well, so that should be fun for them.
>
> we've gone back to colder again, like this morning when
> i went to take the trash out there's a little snow on the
> ground and it was cold enough overnight to refreeze the
> surface. there won't be any gardening done here today...

Must've been the same weather system as here. Got about, ehh, an inch
maybe. Good thing it got cold and gross outside before the kiddos and I
got any farther than "removed the old stalks and such that we left for
over-wintering useful insects" over the weekend.

I hope this passes pretty quick like, I've got way more to do!