Your picture of the world often changes just before you get it into focus.

interests / soc.culture.china / Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policy

SubjectAuthor
* Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policygerard jud
`- Re: Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policygerard jud

1
Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policy

<ff915242-c4f6-4df0-9a40-04424af3e9fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9142&group=soc.culture.china#9142

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policy
From: gerard...@gmail.com (gerard jud)
 by: gerard jud - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

These Indian are talking through their chilly-hot curry arseholes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+sri+lanka+china

A fair analysis of Sri Lanka’s (SL) debt structure will reveal that its debt to China makes up only a small proportion of its total debt. India and its allies hold a bigger proportion of SL’s debt.

Sri Lanka is what it is today because of India. India has caused Sri Lanka to be in the dire state it is today. It is the direct result of India’s beggar-thy-neighbors foreign policy. India is most happy to see what is happening to Sri Lanka today – approaching India with a begging bowl in hand. This is the preferred state that India wants its neighbors to be in.

In 2010, Mahinda Rajapaksa became the President of Sri Lanka. He put an end to decades of Indian Tamil rebellion in the northern part of his country. To help develop his war torn nation, he established good relationship with China. His country benefited from Chinese investments and large number of Chinese tourists. Military relationship improved too. China became an important source of weapons for Sri Lanka’s military and Chinese submarines called at Sri Lanka’s port. The country was progressing economically and militarily. But this aroused the suspicion and jealousy of India which felt threatened by the progress its neighbor was making. That’s not what India wants its neighbors to be. They should be poorer and weaker than India.

Crooked and cunning Indians begin to write and talk about how China is creating economic “Debt Trap” for India’s neighbors and military “String of Pearls” to encircle India.

India meddled in Sri Lanka's internal politics, resulting in a pro-Indian but anti-China candidate to get elected as the new President.
http://indianexpress.com/article/world/neighbours/indian-spys-role-alleged-in-sri-lankan-presidents-election-defeat/

Through the new government, India began to make political and economic demands on SL. It demanded more autonomy for the defeated Tamil Indians rebels. It demanded that Sri Lanka stopped all Chinese projects and implemented India’s initiated big and expensive ones, without any concern about worsening the “Debt Trap”. The Indians were so unreasonable that even the pro-India President they had helped to install rejected them. the Indians arranged to have him assassinated. The plot failed. The country went into political instability.

SL’s economic malaise began. Chinese investments dried up and Chinese tourists slowed to a trickle. Most of Chinese development projects were laid to waste and the blame was then put on China. A good example was an airport built by China. This was bought over by India and left in a state of neglect over time and then held up as an example of a Chinese “Debt Trap” project.

Much of the investments promised by India and its allies did not materialise. Those which did were mired in corruptions, schedule- and cost-overrun, and poor quality work. A lot of money ended up in Indian businessman’s pockets. Thus began SL economic decline. This has reached breaking point. Crooked and cunning Indians now try to pass the blame to the Chinese. The Sri Lankans know better.

SL has to decide, and decide fast: should it make a break with India and re-link with China? If India continues to have design on SL, then SL will forever be India’s beggar neighbor.

India has played the same dirty trick on the Maldives. It schemed to bring down a pro-China government and installed a pro-India one. Just watch for it. Maldives will end up in the same sorry state as SL. And India would be most pleased. It would be another beggar-thy-neighbors success for India.

Following Maldives will be Nepal. It will be one beggar nation after another, all created by India’s beggar-thy-neighbors foreign policy.

Re: Sri Lanka - a victim of India's beggar-thy-nighbors foreign policy

<65809fbe-3427-49c8-809b-9986c31dae68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=10056&group=soc.culture.china#10056

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 02:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gerard...@gmail.com (gerard jud)
 by: gerard jud - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:28 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 9:04:24 AM UTC, gerard jud wrote:
> [...]
>
> SL has to decide, and decide fast: should it make a break with India and re-link with China? If India continues to have design on SL, then SL will forever be India’s beggar neighbor.
>
> India has played the same dirty trick on the Maldives. It schemed to bring down a pro-China government and installed a pro-India one. Just watch for it. Maldives will end up in the same sorry state as SL. And India would be most pleased. It would be another beggar-thy-neighbors success for India.
>
> Following Maldives will be Nepal. It will be one beggar nation after another, all created by India’s beggar-thy-neighbors foreign policy.

Recently, the nominee to be the CIA Chief, William Burns, talk of Sri Lanka’s “dumb bets on China” and warned of other areas in the world falling into the “Debt Trap” of China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsjMPAPiF0

This guy is an ignorant fool. He is vying to be the Intelligence Chief of his country yet he is so ignorant about basic facts. There are so many info on the debt structure of Sri Lanka available online. All he has to do is to Google for “who owns what of SL's debt”. China only holds about 10 % of SL’s debt.

The term “Debt Trap” was first used by the Indians and readily picked up by officials and media in the West. Since then, the Indians and their Western Masters have been harping on it non-stop. It’s not surprising that WION, the Worst Indian Online Nonsense, agree with the American Intelligence Chief nominee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkkwp5vTmM

But most recently, SL is asking for China’s help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STX-G7iTmIc

Does this not make dumb asses out of William Burns and the Indians?

There’s also the reference to the Rajapaksa Airport as an example of a white elephant project that contributes to the “debt trap”. It’s true that that airport was built on loans from China. It was in use until after the Rajapaksa government was first brought down by a pro-India Opposition in 2014. Then India bought it over and left it in a state of neglect to show it up as a white elephant of Chinese “debt trap”.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/travel/destinations/airport-purchase-india-buys-desolate-airport-in-sri-lanka-to-deal-with-china/articleshow/62049899.cms

The truth is this. Sri Lanka is a victim of 21st century geopolitics. It began almost immediately after the island’s Independence from Britain.. Ethnic Tamil Indians, concentrated in its Jaffna Peninsular, just across a narrow strait from the Tamil Nadu state of India, challenged the Lankan-majority rule. Challenge grew into rebellion which grew further into full-scale civil war. The civil war ended with the destruction of the rebels known as Tamil Tigers. This was achieved with SL’s acquisition of Chinese weapons. This displeased the Indians, especially those Tamils from the Tamil Nadu state of India.

After the end of its civil war, SL got closer to China. Chinese trade, investments and tourists helped SL’s war-torn economy to recover. This further displeased India. India considers itself the Big Brother among the smaller nations of South Asia. It expects its smaller neighbors to look up to it, be dependent on it, better still if they come begging for it’s help. It’s a a “beggar their neighbor” mentality.

To India, worse than the economic ties between SL and China was the military ties between them. SL relies on Chinese weapons, Chinese submarines were making calls at SL’s ports. India perceived a security threat.

This ties in well with the threat that the US is perceiving from a rising China. Both worked together to reduce Chinese influence on SL. India coined the term “debt trap” and warned of Chinese “String of Pearls” to encircle India.

In SL’s 2014 Election, with support from both US and India, the Opposition campaigned on an anti-China agenda and won. The new government immediately stopped Chinese projects. New and more expensive projects from India and her allies like Japan from the West were started, even though SL was supposed to have fallen into huge debts. Now SL’s debt really shot up. Meanwhile Chinese trade and investments dried up, Chinese tourists dropped to near zero. SL suffered trade deficit and its foreign reserves dried up. The people suffered. After years in this state, the people had taken to the streets. The rest have become history.

India boasts to the world that it is actively helping SL while China remains passive. That’s an obvious lie. By how much can India help SL? Money-wise, India can’t afford much. Instead of being a help, India could be a threat to a SL in dire straits.

India has sympathy for ethnic Tamil Indians in SL. It has always wanted more autonomy for its fellow Indians there. Independence would be best. India could seize the chaos in SL as an opportunity to achieve this; and more. As more Tamil Indians in SL fled the island for Tamil Nadu, as a pretext in stopping this, India could send in its army to “restore peace and order” in SL. The ultimate aim would be to wrestle the Tamil-majority Jaffna Peninsular from SL. Indian chiefs are holding meetings in Tamil Nadu to decide on this. The Indian Army is preparing to cross the strait.

India is the cause of SL current state. India will be the cause of SL losing part of its territory. William Burns, other American officials and Indian officials all know fully well what part their countries have played in bringing about the current chaos in Sri Lanka.

China is not a dumb but a wiser bet for Sri Lanka. It's still not too late or Sri Lanka to realise this.