From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: alt.history,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.ukrainian
Subject: Polish-Ukrainian
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:58:27 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

I have recently come across a notable "leftist" article "Slavery vs.
Serfdom, or Was Poland a Colonial Empire?" <https://is.gd/Cc5INv>.
Title of the original article in Polish poses not a question, but a
statement <https://is.gd/2uiAle> "Colonialism Polish Style, a Long
Shadow of Serfdom". There's much about the Ukraine. Since the Ukraine
is currently a hot topic, some may be interested to better know the
Ukraine-related history. And some critical remarks below.

| Starting in the 15th century, [serfdom] gradually and consistently
| disappeared from the West .. At around the same time Eastern and
| Central Europe witnessed the exact opposite trend ..

The most primary reason for serfdom was a state need / desire of ruling
class to control / constraint migrations of low classes. It may be well
illustrated by the fact that the serfdom policies ceased earliest - or
did not even appear - in such areas where were natural (geographical)
barriers for mass migrations. Britain and Japan both illustrate it, -
if you are a poor low class then you hardly can easily migrate out from
the island, you have no choice other than staying within the area.

In Western Europe, regional developments by the 15th century made mass
migrations of low class people difficult ("all lands are already taken
by someone"), that underminded the background for serfdom policies.

For Poland, situation was so that the post-Golden Horde ("post-Mongol")
formations in the western part of the Eurasian Steppe became relatively
weaker, and there was the (proto)Cossack presence maturing in the
steppeside, which opened for agricultural activities new untapped areas
that were seen too vulnerable to nomadic raids before.

For Russia, situation became much more drastic since the 16th century.
The incorporation of the middle and south Volga area, then the Cossack
expansion up to the Urals and furher into Siberia, enabled vast new
areas for agricultural use, which in turn stimulated the desire of the
landlords to constraint migrations out from "the center". This is why,
within Russia, the serfdom policies happened only in "central Russia"
region (including the Ukraine).

In the 1920s, the Russian serfdom was heavily demonized by the early
Soviet propaganda, which saw its goal in denigrating "old regime" as
much as possible in order to contrast it to the post-revolution regime.
It inter alia had a long-term international impact so that many started
to believe that the serfdom system in the Tsarist Russia was something
extremely special (which in fact was not so). I once posted here about
it <https://is.gd/vu02Az>.

| .. landowners in 19th century Ukraine were extremely cruel and their
| cruelty was never appropriately punished .. But *szlachta* had also
| more sophisticated modes of subjugating peasants ..

Here the Polish writer cites a French researcher who inaccurately
shifted the mid-late-18th century realities and mores to "19th century
Ukraine". The French writer then complained <https://is.gd/eVbBJJ> that
in Poland his historical research is meeting with some hostility, since
the ideologues of the post-communist regime promote narrative of
"civilization mission of Poles" towards the Ukrainians, and they
naturally dislike the facts that can disnoble the narrative.

Some irony is that the Polish colonisation of the Ukraine was continued
even *within* Russia in the 19th century. In the 16th century, since
the incorporation of Duchy of Lithuania, Poland made a purposeful
effort to economically and cuturally "polonize" the upper class of the
ethnic Russian area (i.e. the Ukraine) within Poland. Polish 'magnates'
acquired lands there, and the native landlords got more favor if they
sought to mimic Poles, converted to Catholicism etc. It created such a
situation when almost all the landlords in the Poland's Russian area
were Polish, while their serfs were Russian (Ukrainian). In later time,
when more post-Poland lands, then a half of Poland itself, fell under
control of Russia, the imperial government cared pretty little about
"ethnic" etc topics. They realized some issues only since the mid-19th
century, when turbulent pre-revolutionary developments already started.

Along with that, the historical Polish impact is a secondary, minor
factor regarding the current hostile situation between Russia and the
post-coup Kiev regime (despite the insanely anti-Russia stance of the
modern Poland's government). The primary factor is the Banderist
ideology <https://bit.ly/3q5yHav>, which is historically linked to
Galicia, - a peculiar west-Ukrainian region that got especial impact
from Austrian empire. Their pro-Hitlerian nostalgism isn't "Polish".

| .. on the other, the local Ruthenian nobility ..

"Ruthenian" means "Russian". It's just an alternative form for Russian
in Western Latin / Romance languages. "Ruth-" instead of "Rus-", and
nothing more. "Ruthenian" is rather common in Western use in order to
designate various "western" fragments of what originally was
"pre-Mongol" Russia. Many Western writers aren't enthusiastic to remind
a reader that some originally Russian people(s) turned out outside of
Russia, so let's call them "Ruthenian" instead.

| .. colonial discourse in the Polish presence in Ukraine, like the
| myth of terra nullius (where the steppes of Ukraine, allegedly devoid
| of human presence, can be compared to the vast of American West ..

Hey, it's not a myth. The steppes of the present day Ukraine, until the
18th century, were not allegedly, but very literally "devoid of human
presence". More accurately, the steppes were controlled by the nomads,
or it was a kind of "gray zone". But the nomads need huge chunks of
land to run their mobile pastoralism properly. This is why such lands
naturally look "devoid of human presence" (like in Mongolia, where few
Mongols occupy a huge land that seems devoid of human presence).

In contrast to waterless Mongolia, agricultural use of those western
steppes would be much more productive against the environment-friendly
mobile pastoralism. But if an enterprising man started farming there,
then one day a group of equestrian guys would come to him for bringing
him to the popular slave market in Crimea. End of farming.

In the 15-17th centuries, those Ottoman-backed equestrian guys were a
non-illusory pain in the ass for their neighbours (not only for Poland
(Ukraine) and Russia, but also for the Chircassian Islamic brothers),
because they abused their equestrian skills to raid and capture people,
and then sell them to slavery.

| .. the Polish colonization of Ukraine .. required some kind of
| rationalization, which was provided by the Sarmatian ideology ..
| constructing ideologies, which would justify social and racial
| boundaries .. Around 16th century the nobility started to identify
| themselves with the descendants of the ancient Sarmatian tribe ..,
| which .. had once conquered the lands of Slavs and subjugated
| its rural population. This genetic myth helped to establish a
| symbolical division between members of the nobility (that is the top
| ten percent of the population) and the rural local population ..

It's boldly misleading to declare the Ukraine as a primary reason for
emergence of "the Sarmatian ideology". The "symbolical division"
between "Ruthenians" and Poles existed since the Christrian Schism, and
the Poland's Catholics cultivated an idea of superiority over the
Orthodox Church. It didn't demand invention of additional concepts.

The primary reason for the Sarmatism ideology was a wish to rationalize
a symbolical division between the low class ethnic Poles and the noble
enthic Poles ("Szlachta"), and the Ukraine topic is aside of that.

From this Polish article, it's visible that while describing the ugly
features of the Polish serfdom, the writer persistently seeks to shift
focus on the Ukraine, moreover, the very title manifests an intention to
link "serfdom" with "colonization" (of the Ukraine). It's not a honest
bundle. With regard to the Poland's history, including the Ukraine, it
would be more honest to describe serfdom as serfdom and colonization as
colonization, separately.

The serfdom(-like) regulations in Poland were introduced since the 12th
century, and such laws gradually became more stringent long before the
Ukraine fell under Poland's governance.

An invariable companion of the serfdom practice is the issue of flight
of peasants from the residences - assigned to certain landlords - where
they must mandatory be. In Poland, it became a painful issue already in
the 15th century <https://is.gd/Mau9Tc>. Among popular destinations for
runaway Polish serfs were Dachy of Lithuania and outskirts of Moscow
state, where orders were milder at the time (also many joined incipient
Cossack communities in the southern near-steppe areas).

So the Polish serfdom was primarily applied to the Polish own peasants,
but then the modern Polish nationalism made an effort to symbolically
uplift, in a retrospect, the Polish peasants somewhat closer to the
Szlachta image, and the insistent shift of focus to the Ukraine serves
the trick "to contrast" Poles vs Ukrainians. If you ask a modern Pole
about his or her ancestors then the most popular answer today would be
they were from a minor Szlachta and the like. It's somewhat like every
second Arab in Middle East or North Africa would tell you that his or
her descency is directly from Prophet Muhammad.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Polish-Ukrainian

<162b3d41-c2e1-4ecf-819f-c0c6cce442e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9146&group=soc.culture.china#9146

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:41:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Polish-Ukrainian
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:41 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 1:00:49 PM UTC-4, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> I have recently come across a notable "leftist" article "Slavery vs.
> Serfdom, or Was Poland a Colonial Empire?" <https://is.gd/Cc5INv>.
> Title of the original article in Polish poses not a question, but a
> statement <https://is.gd/2uiAle> "Colonialism Polish Style, a Long
> Shadow of Serfdom". There's much about the Ukraine. Since the Ukraine
> is currently a hot topic, some may be interested to better know the
> Ukraine-related history. And some critical remarks below.

At present, Russia is in war with Ukraine, and a lot of Western nations consider
Russia on the wrong, not Poland. Polish fighters in Ukraine are fighting on
Ukraine's behalf although paid by whom is not yet clear.

IF Polish history has somehow contributed to the Ukrainian grievance against
pro-Russia presence in Ukraine, please show the causation.

> [...]
> may be a reason for forbidding a person to move freely. Etc etc ..
>
> From the "capitalist economic" perspective, the serfdom(-like) practice
> is sort of unfair competition. Hired workers can compete by choosing an
> employer, landless peasants can compete through choosing a landlord (or
> through domestication of some untapped lands). Disabling them from
> freedom of movement and choice means they can no longer economically
> compete this way. From the market perspective, a 'fair' competition,
> including through migrations, is a driver for economy. But the state
> still can find some non-capitalist, non-market reasons to conclude that
> uncontrolled migrations may cause some unwanted effects. Understanding
> of when and why the state resorted to such a logic, and implemented it,
> would likely answer about the real nature of serfdom.

<doar8h11is8sflq3gn020n3dlg5oefa5re@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11212&group=soc.culture.china#11212

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.history,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.ukrainian,soc.history
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:06:58 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Wed, 25 May 2022 04:06 UTC

<t6kmia$8d5$1@os.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11213&group=soc.culture.china#11213

From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: alt.history,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.ukrainian,soc.history
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 10:40:21 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Wed, 25 May 2022 07:40 UTC

Steve Hayes, <news:doar8h11is8sflq3gn020n3dlg5oefa5re@4ax.com>
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:58:27 +0300, "Oleg Smirnov" <os333@netc.eu>

> Thanks very much for that, very interesting.

Thanks for attention.

The Poland-related history may also be of interest regarding the
general topic of "classic democracy" in historical perspective, and
particularly regarding the importance of classes of disenfranchised
for keeping such democracy functional <https://tinyurl.com/28quywys>
At the time when western and central Europe strengthened their
Absolutism, the Polish noblemen maintained "democratic spirit" among
themselves, even elected their king through vote, so that today some
depict then Poland as "Europe's [forgotten] democratic ancestor"
<https://tinyurl.com/y4tedy7q>. However, this "democracy for nobles"
was harmoniously combined with toughly oppressive policies towards
domestic low classes (backed with appropriate ideological settings).