Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success. -- Christopher Lascl

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Two News on the G20 Financial Meeting

SubjectAuthor
* Two News on the G20 Financial Meetingltlee1
`- Re: Two News on the G20 Financial Meetingstoney

1
Two News on the G20 Financial Meeting

<04c84c62-f63b-4feb-a203-6bcb507a5cffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9143&group=soc.culture.china#9143

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Two News on the G20 Financial Meeting
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:34 UTC

1) US Treasury secretary and other finance ministers walk out of G20 meeting with Russia

"(CNN)Finance ministers from multiple nations walked out of a closed-door G20 session in Washington on Wednesday when the Russian delegate began his prepared remarks, a show of protest against Moscow for its invasion of Ukraine.

Ahead of the meeting, US officials had said Yellen would not participate in certain sessions of the gathering that included Russia.

Ukrainian officials also spoke at the session as invited guests, and also walked out during Russia's presentation. Yellen and other officials attended the session during those remarks, but departed when Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov began speaking virtually.

A separate official said finance ministers had discussed plans to boycott Russia's participation ahead of time.

While Yellen will attend some sessions of the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governor meeting with Russian officials present, including the opening session, she will not be participating in all of them if the Russians are there, according to a senior US Treasury Official.

"President Biden's made clear and I certainly agree with him that it cannot be business as usual for Russia in any of the financial institutions," Yellen told the House Financial Services Committee. "He's asked that Russia be removed from the G20 and I've made clear to my colleagues in Indonesia that we will not be participating in a number of meetings if the Russians are there.""

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/politics/janet-yellen-g20-finance-ministerial-protest/index.html

2) Washington punch-drunk after G20 blow
"The UK, the USA and Canada left the meeting of the G20 financial bloc. Everyone else stayed to listen to the speech from Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov.

G20 finance ministers and central bank governors met on April 21 at a conference of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. The meeting discussed issues of food security, recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and military operations in Ukraine.
President of the US Federal Reserve Jerome Powell and head of the European Central Bank Christine Lagarde did not listen to the Russian minister. IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva decided to stay."

https://english.pravda.ru/world/151413-washington_g20/

Re: Two News on the G20 Financial Meeting

<23af44d2-a074-4bf4-8716-d4996e1c6425n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9154&group=soc.culture.china#9154

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 21:17:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Two News on the G20 Financial Meeting
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 04:17 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 11:34:10 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> 1) US Treasury secretary and other finance ministers walk out of G20 meeting with Russia
>
> "(CNN)Finance ministers from multiple nations walked out of a closed-door G20 session in Washington on Wednesday when the Russian delegate began his prepared remarks, a show of protest against Moscow for its invasion of Ukraine.
>
> Ahead of the meeting, US officials had said Yellen would not participate in certain sessions of the gathering that included Russia.
>
> Ukrainian officials also spoke at the session as invited guests, and also walked out during Russia's presentation. Yellen and other officials attended the session during those remarks, but departed when Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov began speaking virtually.
>
> A separate official said finance ministers had discussed plans to boycott Russia's participation ahead of time.
>
> While Yellen will attend some sessions of the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governor meeting with Russian officials present, including the opening session, she will not be participating in all of them if the Russians are there, according to a senior US Treasury Official.
>
> "President Biden's made clear and I certainly agree with him that it cannot be business as usual for Russia in any of the financial institutions," Yellen told the House Financial Services Committee. "He's asked that Russia be removed from the G20 and I've made clear to my colleagues in Indonesia that we will not be participating in a number of meetings if the Russians are there.""
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/politics/janet-yellen-g20-finance-ministerial-protest/index.html
>
> 2) Washington punch-drunk after G20 blow
> "The UK, the USA and Canada left the meeting of the G20 financial bloc. Everyone else stayed to listen to the speech from Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov.
>
> G20 finance ministers and central bank governors met on April 21 at a conference of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. The meeting discussed issues of food security, recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and military operations in Ukraine.
> President of the US Federal Reserve Jerome Powell and head of the European Central Bank Christine Lagarde did not listen to the Russian minister. IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva decided to stay."
>
> https://english.pravda.ru/world/151413-washington_g20/

The walk-out is a ploy planned by the 3 of the 5-eyes which is US, UK and Canada. It came as a surprise to other countries as they have not expected the meeting to have a walkout by a big power like US. Luckily, EU did not join their walk-out as they may not have agreed to it. If EU were to join in the American's walk-out, they will further alienate Russia. Hence, EU has used its brain wisly in not to engage in walk-out on Russia. It goes to show that the Russian leader, Putin is able to lead Russia into the world with pride, bringing stature for it people.