A light wife doth make a heavy husband. -- Wm. Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

SubjectAuthor
* Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?ltlee1
+* Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?stoney
|`* Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?ltlee1
| `- Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?bmoore
`- Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?borie

1
Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

<530e09f8-dd0b-4535-958c-4b6b2499494en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9148&group=soc.culture.china#9148

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 21:39 UTC

https://thewire.in/world/why-are-americans-so-interested-in-the-war-in-ukraine
"Americans have been consumed by the war in Ukraine with intensive media coverage across news platforms. This is unusual. Foreign affairs do not usually consume the American public unless the US is directly involved and American lives are at risk.

What explains this intense interest and what does it mean for a deeply polarised American political culture dealing with its own crisis of democracy?"

1. "as a symbolic moment of consensus in a divided nation. In the view of Fox News journalist Howard Kurtz,

“the country is pretty unified on the Ukraine crisis, and the space between Republicans and Democrats has visibly narrowed … vast majorities in each party favour the ban on Russian oil and gas, even with the knowledge that it will boost prices here at home. That’s about as close to consensus as we ever come in this country.”"

2. A war against democracy
"... a war in defence of democracy – though this is often presented less as a geopolitical matter than as a dramatic spectacle of “a plucky country slaying a dictatorship”."

3. Weak Biden Leadership
"Many conservatives bluntly repudiate attempts to associate threats to democracy in the US with the war in Ukraine. Others, further right and mostly allied with the previous president, Donald Trump, claim that the war reflects back on America to reveal the weakness of Biden’s leadership."

4. Eurocentric Racism
"... the intense interest in the war by Americans reflects a Eurocentric (or racist) attitude. They point to the overt bias of anchors and correspondents and the hypocrisy in sidestepping previously vaulted standards of independent journalism. "

5. It is a good war, a “David versus Goliath” conflict
“If you look in [Vladimir Putin’s] eyes, you see someone who has gone completely mad”. As journalism, this is ridiculous – but it mimics the collective avoidance of disquieting realities."

6. End of the ‘end of history
"... Russia’s invasion represents “a moment in history … something we have not seen for generations”. This claim chimes with a common narrative among American journalists and pundits commenting on the war on Ukraine – that it represents a return of history, understood as great power aggression.

Such claims either directly or indirectly reference US political scientist Francis Fukuyama’s famous proclamation of “the end of history” – that the end of the cold war represented a globally defining triumph of free market liberal capitalism over communism.

A similar claim is made by former defense secretary Robert Gates, who writes that: “Putin’s invasion … has ended America’s 30-year holiday from history.” For Gates, and many other foreign policy alumni and experts in the US, the war should serve as a wake-up call and an opportunity to reconstitute a global Pax Americana."

1, 2, 3, and 6 often reflect America's self-awareness of a declining US.

Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

<db7e2b41-f81f-4bbe-89fd-398b8cab3015n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9151&group=soc.culture.china#9151

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:35:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 01:35 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 5:39:06 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
>
> Such claims either directly or indirectly reference US political scientist Francis Fukuyama’s famous proclamation of “the end of history” – that the end of the cold war represented a globally defining triumph of free market liberal capitalism over communism.
>
> A similar claim is made by former defense secretary Robert Gates, who writes that: “Putin’s invasion … has ended America’s 30-year holiday from history.” For Gates, and many other foreign policy alumni and experts in the US, the war should serve as a wake-up call and an opportunity to reconstitute a global Pax Americana."
>
> 1, 2, 3, and 6 often reflect America's self-awareness of a declining US.

Not only Americans but also the world too are interested in the war in Ukraine. In part, their interests are attracted and were affected by the scenes of war produced by TV broadcasting media in their TV studios and reproducing them on TV and internet media to portray another way to fan and spread their own ways to propaganda interests to different viewers in American and other countries so that they can use the viewers to form a different opinions on the war party concerned.

Without being bias, it would seem Zelensky appears to have been trained and coached by foreign trainers on how to present and express in a emotionally driven way and to talk fervently to media in seeking weapon helps. Those teachers and trainers and coaches are from the TV stations in the West sent to him to craft the script of his speech in a sombre way of expressions and sad helpless way of speaking to the media so that the people in US and EU nations and the world too, will rise up to the help them.

..

Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

<11438d94-e9e8-4ce6-bcb4-746b88f63bf0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9163&group=soc.culture.china#9163

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:10 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 9:35:03 PM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 1, 2, 3, and 6 often reflect America's self-awareness of a declining US..
> Not only Americans but also the world too are interested in the war in Ukraine. In part, their interests are attracted and were affected by the scenes of war produced by TV broadcasting media in their TV studios and reproducing them on TV and internet media to portray another way to fan and spread their own ways to propaganda interests to different viewers in American and other countries so that they can use the viewers to form a different opinions on the war party concerned.

Of course, people all over the world are interested. However, the questions one has to ask are:
1) Are visible and invisible hands of the US government including NATO officials pushing the news toward what direction? For example, the French government, in contrast to the US government, had tried hard to preclude extremist language. In the long run, French and Russians have to coexist. Pushing one people to hate another is lose-lose.
2) Is the media seizing the opportunity to further sensationalize what have happened in Ukraine?
3) Cui bono?

> Without being bias, it would seem Zelensky appears to have been trained and coached by foreign trainers on how to present and express in a emotionally driven way and to talk fervently to media in seeking weapon helps. Those teachers and trainers and coaches are from the TV stations in the West sent to him to craft the script of his speech in a sombre way of expressions and sad helpless way of speaking to the media so that the people in US and EU nations and the world too, will rise up to the help them.
>
> .

Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

<2e8d06ba-eac5-4509-ac1b-40a4eaf406b1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9164&group=soc.culture.china#9164

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:15:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 9:10:04 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> 2) Is the media seizing the opportunity to further sensationalize what have happened in Ukraine?
> 3) Cui bono?
> >
> > Without being bias, it would seem Zelensky appears to have been trained and coached by foreign trainers on how to present and express in a emotionally driven way and to talk fervently to media in seeking weapon helps. Those teachers and trainers and coaches are from the TV stations in the West sent to him to craft the script of his speech in a sombre way of expressions and sad helpless way of speaking to the media so that the people in US and EU nations and the world too, will rise up to the help them.

It's silly to talk about this and ignore the Russian extreme lying and propaganda.

Re: Why Are Americans So Interested in the War in Ukraine?

<60fdf68c-05d4-42fd-bc27-e7070ec55323n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9176&group=soc.culture.china#9176

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:06:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: zifon...@gmail.com (borie)
 by: borie - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:06 UTC

> [...]
>
> Such claims either directly or indirectly reference US political scientist Francis Fukuyama’s famous proclamation of “the end of history” – that the end of the cold war represented a globally defining triumph of free market liberal capitalism over communism.
>
> A similar claim is made by former defense secretary Robert Gates, who writes that: “Putin’s invasion … has ended America’s 30-year holiday from history.” For Gates, and many other foreign policy alumni and experts in the US, the war should serve as a wake-up call and an opportunity to reconstitute a global Pax Americana."
>
> 1, 2, 3, and 6 often reflect America's self-awareness of a declining US.

No doubt the world is watching that 1,2,3 and 6 reflected America's self-awareness of declining US power, but the strategy of the US war model is changed in this American's advanced weapon supports to Ukraine in their war with Russia.

US is certainly afraid of nuclear missiles sent to them. Hence a declining US is somewhat a retreat US power from engaging own risk to themselves, instead. Hence, US is portrayed as declining power, but their power still stands as nuclear power. US has relegated their US power to a retreated power with a "look-and-see-first" power.

It is like a big bird perched on the tree watching with darting eyes making changing calculations every time to see if the passing prey is worthy to be 1. challenged and chased, or 2. to be outright defeated and trampled, or 3. to be eaten or not.