Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: As Americans Shed Their Masks, Asia Largely Stays Covered Up
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:50 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 12:28:20 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
> As Americans Shed Their Masks, Asia Largely Stays Covered Up
> By Miho Inada, Apr. 21, 2022, WSJ
>
> Chie Matsuda learned from a morning TV show here on Wednesday
> that passengers on U.S. airplanes had just been allowed to take
> off their masks. It was a moment of celebration for some
> Americans, but Ms. Matsuda didn’t like the sound of it.
>
> “I’d be uncomfortable if the person next to me on the plane
> was unmasked,” said the 64-year-old retiree as she ate a
> sandwich outside a Tokyo shopping mall. “We haven’t figured
> out yet how we could live with the coronavirus. At this phase,
> we’d better take a more conservative approach.”
>
> Pictures of maskless Americans packing sports stadiums, attending
> business meetings and now riding on airplanes look like they come
> from another planet for people in much of Asia, where masking is
> nearly universal and likely to stay that way for some time.
>
> Japan in particular offers a counterpart to the U.S. trend:
> Mask requests are generally voluntary, yet compliance is widespread.
> “I believe it’s a product of peer pressure,” said 22-year-old
> college student Ryo Takahashi, who was wearing a cloth mask
> Wednesday as he waited in line at a McDonald’s restaurant.
> Mr. Takahashi said he wasn’t worried much about getting infected
> because he is young and the current Omicron variant tends not to
> cause serious illness, but he said he was still wearing a mask
> so as not to stand out.
>
> Major U.S. airlines quickly dropped the mask mandate after a
> federal judge in Florida on Monday said a federal mandate
> exceeded the authority of the CDC. Many people responded by
> removing their masks, some in midflight as news of the ruling spread.
>
> Those scenes aren’t likely to be repeated in East Asia soon.
> From Thailand to South Korea, either Japanese-style social
> pressure or government mandates have kept people masked.
>
> In South Korea, where an Omicron wave has receded after peaking
> in March at a level that exceeded the worst U.S. outbreak,
> officials have lifted restrictions on the size of gatherings
> and business operating hours. But a mask mandate remains.
>
> Jeon Hae-cheol, minister of interior and safety, said Wednesday
> that the mandate might be lifted for outdoor settings in May.
> Officials said masks will have to be worn indoors for a
> considerable time. “The importance of mask-wearing remains
> formidable,” Mr. Jeon said.
>
> Hong Kong is set to relax social-distancing rules Thursday
> after its own Omicron wave eased, but it too is keeping its
> mask mandate in public places—even for those exercising
> outdoors. Violators are subject to a fine that is equivalent
> to more than $600.
>
> In Japan, mask-wearing was reasonably common even before
> Covid-19 when people had colds or allergies, and the custom
> has become ingrained in the last two years.
>
> Toshihiro Tajima, a 63-year-old engineer, said he planned to
> wear a mask for the rest of his life. “Given my age, I’m
> [...]

It is unsafe in the confined of the plane not to put on a mask to protect others from their infection, if any. Americans like to think about themselves and not think about others.

They should know that their wearing of a mask is to protect from their own infection and not to protect the other persons from infecting them. If a person removes their mask, they are at risk of being infected from other unmasked persons, too.

Hence, wearing a mask in a confined space in the plane should be the first line of defense for any person inside the plane. They can unmask or remove their mast when they are in the open air environment where if they kept with the gap of a distancing, there is no need to worry of infection.