A man who fishes for marlin in ponds will put his money in Etruscan bonds.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

SubjectAuthor
* Polyhalite for organic gardeningT
+* Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningsongbird
|`- Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningT
`* Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningcshenk
 `* Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningsongbird
  +- Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningcshenk
  `* Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningT
   `* Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningsongbird
    `- Re: Polyhalite for organic gardeningT

1
Polyhalite for organic gardening

<uofohi$3ij8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=866&group=rec.gardens.edible#866

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Polyhalite for organic gardening
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 22:17:22 -0800
 by: T - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 06:17 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhalite
https://www.icl-uk.uk/product/polysulphate/

48% SO3 as sulfate
14% K2O as from sulfate of potash
6% MgO as from magnesium sulfate
17% CaO as from calcium sulfate

Any comments?

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<fd8t7k-2vc.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=867&group=rec.gardens.edible#867

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:19:27 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:19 UTC

T wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhalite
> https://www.icl-uk.uk/product/polysulphate/
>
> 48% SO3 as sulfate
> 14% K2O as from sulfate of potash
> 6% MgO as from magnesium sulfate
> 17% CaO as from calcium sulfate
>
> Any comments?

if you are in a highly alkaline location you likely
do not need any more salts or calcium. instead look
to growing organic materials that will eventually end
up being turned into humus. if you can salvage any
clean organic materials and get them used as mulch or
compost them you will instead be building topsoil and
building on top of that alkaline base. protect it
from the wind and getting blown or washed away.

elemental sulfur may likely be much more economical
as an acidifier.

songbird

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<uohu0n$3tbhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=868&group=rec.gardens.edible#868

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:03:03 -0800
 by: T - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 02:03 UTC

On 1/20/24 08:19, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhalite
>> https://www.icl-uk.uk/product/polysulphate/
>>
>> 48% SO3 as sulfate
>> 14% K2O as from sulfate of potash
>> 6% MgO as from magnesium sulfate
>> 17% CaO as from calcium sulfate
>>
>> Any comments?
>
> if you are in a highly alkaline location you likely
> do not need any more salts or calcium. instead look
> to growing organic materials that will eventually end
> up being turned into humus. if you can salvage any
> clean organic materials and get them used as mulch or
> compost them you will instead be building topsoil and
> building on top of that alkaline base. protect it
> from the wind and getting blown or washed away.
>
> elemental sulfur may likely be much more economical
> as an acidifier.
>

> songbird

Thank you!

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<ksKcnbOSDpj5fpP7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=927&group=rec.gardens.edible#927

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 17:29:08 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:29 UTC

T wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyhalite
> https://www.icl-uk.uk/product/polysulphate/
>
> 48% SO3 as sulfate
> 14% K2O as from sulfate of potash
> 6% MgO as from magnesium sulfate
> 17% CaO as from calcium sulfate
>
> Any comments?

Only that it's over my head but don't mind me.

Today I made my next to last trip for starter plants. The rest is
probably pretty flowers.

I got a few cucumbers and zucchini, a few green bell peppers, 14
marigolds (to augment the seedlings), a banana pepper, some crookneck
squash, an anaheim (in case the seedlings don't work, and 1 more
different type of tomato (burpee original).

Later, potatoes (going to try Yukon gold), lettuces, spearmint, pole
beans and maybe a pumpkin or so.

Intesting find, fresh shishido peppers at the grocery! I'm going to
try seeding them then sprouting the seeds.

Songbird, how's it going there? Prepped beds yet?

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<qfl3ek-gda1.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=928&group=rec.gardens.edible#928

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:16:58 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 22:16 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> Songbird, how's it going there? Prepped beds yet?

i'm not doing too much outside at the moment as it has
been raining and/or snowing regularly enough since we had
our previous nice break in the weather that i'm not
willing to play in the cold mud.

about all i've done is plant a groundhog (and have seen
another but i don't know if i got it or not).

the gardens are in pretty good shape from last fall so
any prep work will go pretty easy this spring - but it
will be a few weeks away at the earliest that i will
think about planting some peas and some early beans. peas
will survive some cold but the beans may not but that is
ok as i have several gallons of seeds to work with if i
do need to replant. i've had pretty good luck with my
early bean plantings the past three years so we'll see if
i can make it a fourth.

at the moment i'm sick from a bug i picked up last
weekend so we'll see how this goes too...

songbird

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<z3adnTnhve0it437nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=929&group=rec.gardens.edible#929

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 16:45:51 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:45 UTC

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Songbird, how's it going there? Prepped beds yet?
>
> i'm not doing too much outside at the moment as it has
> been raining and/or snowing regularly enough since we had
> our previous nice break in the weather that i'm not
> willing to play in the cold mud.
>
> about all i've done is plant a groundhog (and have seen
> another but i don't know if i got it or not).
>
> the gardens are in pretty good shape from last fall so
> any prep work will go pretty easy this spring - but it
> will be a few weeks away at the earliest that i will
> think about planting some peas and some early beans. peas
> will survive some cold but the beans may not but that is
> ok as i have several gallons of seeds to work with if i
> do need to replant. i've had pretty good luck with my
> early bean plantings the past three years so we'll see if
> i can make it a fourth.
>
> at the moment i'm sick from a bug i picked up last
> weekend so we'll see how this goes too...
>

> songbird

Ah ok, we had a cold snap last night and one tonight. Looks like the
7th grew one at 38F. Looks like the greenhouse is going to get used.
Some are needing repotting.

Good luck with the flu! Just had a bout of bronchitis here but over it
now.

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<uv1r8m$3otbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=930&group=rec.gardens.edible#930

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:31:50 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:31 UTC

On 4/4/24 15:16, songbird wrote:
> at the moment i'm sick from a bug i picked up last
> weekend so we'll see how this goes too...

Hi Songbird,

This works for me when I get a virus:
https://www.amazon.com/Ilex-15-Seven-Forests-Tablets/dp/B00FN85G2G
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Forests-Ilex-250-Tablets/dp/B00GULZGBQ

Here is the write up on it from its creator:
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/ilex15.htm

And don't forget the universal cure all: chicken soup

-T

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<hjveek-462.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=932&group=rec.gardens.edible#932

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 01:17:05 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 05:17 UTC

T wrote:
> And don't forget the universal cure all: chicken soup

thanks, i'm not fully over it yet, but i'm doing better
each day.

hot chocolate and well buttered homemade toast is
something i've always liked.

basically the best things for me right now are to keep
hydrated any way i can, to get as much sleep as possible
and to rotate which direction i'm laying so my lungs will
be able to break up and bring up the crud that's left over
from fighting this off.

songbird

Re: Polyhalite for organic gardening

<uv4718$e3jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=934&group=rec.gardens.edible#934

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:04:56 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:04 UTC

On 4/8/24 22:17, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> And don't forget the universal cure all: chicken soup
>
> thanks, i'm not fully over it yet, but i'm doing better
> each day.
>
> hot chocolate and well buttered homemade toast is
> something i've always liked.
>
> basically the best things for me right now are to keep
> hydrated any way i can, to get as much sleep as possible
> and to rotate which direction i'm laying so my lungs will
> be able to break up and bring up the crud that's left over
> from fighting this off.
>

> songbird

Enopy the downtime. You have a good excuse!
Feel better my (e)friend.