Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 04:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: CBO Sounds a Warning of American Fiscal Ruin
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:11 UTC

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cbo-sounds-a-warning-of-american-fiscal-ruin-tax-increases-gdp-federal-debt-saving-work-private-investments-11652635997?

"A recent report from Washington could signal convulsive changes in policy—and it has nothing to do with abortion. The Congressional Budget Office’s latest analysis of what’s needed to put America’s fiscal house in order makes a compelling case for a return to fiscal sanity sooner rather than later.
Those days of blissful fiscal ignorance will soon end. By the next presidential inauguration, in January 2025, Congress will face a toxic brew of long-delayed budgetary decisions. The Medicare trust fund will face imminent insolvency, running ever-increasing losses projected at nearly $100 billion annually by the end of the decade.
The American people know little about the magnitude of this impending crisis, in large part because a generation of politicians have proved singularly uninterested in educating the public about these inconvenient truths. The CBO report illustrates how a continued failure by our elected leaders to lead a movement for fiscal responsibility will cause the American people to pay the price for generations to come."

Two issues:
The limitation of free press.
The future of US big stick foreign policy.