I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: What Southeast Asia Wants From America

SubjectAuthor
* What Southeast Asia Wants From Americaltlee1
`- Re: What Southeast Asia Wants From Americaalien

1
What Southeast Asia Wants From America

<0f861893-e338-4209-b5e9-9d69d6e2937bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9445&group=soc.culture.china#9445

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 04:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: What Southeast Asia Wants From America
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 17 May 2022 11:58 UTC

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-southeast-asia-want-asean-white-house-summit-defense-america-11652731969?mod=opinion_featst_pos1

"Hosting what the White House described as a “special summit” in Washington was, in theory, an excellent idea.
Unfortunately, the summit highlighted the strategic deadlock that has challenged America’s regional diplomacy during the Biden era. This deadlock has prevented the inauguration of a new era of cooperation between the U.S. and key Southeast Asian regional leaders. There is a fundamental mismatch between what Southeast Asia needs from the U.S. and what, given the state of the foreign-policy debate among Democrats, President Biden can offer.
Russia’s war in Ukraine is not a priority for them. They see climate change as, at most, a long-term and secondary concern. They think Western concerns about issues like labor standards and “green trade standards” are hypocritical slogans aimed at supporting a protectionist agenda. In any case, they believe that a low-wage, low-regulation economic model offers the best hope for economic development, and they have no desire to walk away from it.

While they worry about the rise of China and hope to see America remain active in the region as an important counterweight, their goal is not to align with the U.S., especially as members of Mr. Biden’s dreamed-of alliance for democracy. Most of these countries look forward to a long and profitable future of nonalignment, balancing between China and the U.S., coaxed and petted by both sides, committing to neither. "

Re: What Southeast Asia Wants From America

<UnVgK.2841455$391.1622183@fx05.ams4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9456&group=soc.culture.china#9456

From: ali...@invalid.address (alien)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: What Southeast Asia Wants From America
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 22:32:20 GMT
 by: alien - Tue, 17 May 2022 22:32 UTC

On 17 May 2022 at 13:58:08 CEST, "ltlee1" <ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-southeast-asia-want-asean-white-house-summit-defense-america-11652731969?mod=opinion_featst_pos1
>
> "Hosting what the White House described as a “special summit” in Washington
> was, in theory, an excellent idea.
> Unfortunately, the summit highlighted the strategic deadlock that has
> challenged America’s regional diplomacy during the Biden era. This deadlock
> has prevented the inauguration of a new era of cooperation between the U.S.
> and key Southeast Asian regional leaders. There is a fundamental mismatch
> between what Southeast Asia needs from the U.S. and what, given the state of
> the foreign-policy debate among Democrats, President Biden can offer.
> Russia’s war in Ukraine is not a priority for them. They see climate change
> as, at most, a long-term and secondary concern. They think Western concerns
> about issues like labor standards and “green trade standards” are hypocritical
> slogans aimed at supporting a protectionist agenda. In any case, they believe
> that a low-wage, low-regulation economic model offers the best hope for
> economic development, and they have no desire to walk away from it.
>
> While they worry about the rise of China and hope to see America remain active
> in the region as an important counterweight, their goal is not to align with
> the U.S., especially as members of Mr. Biden’s dreamed-of alliance for
> democracy. Most of these countries look forward to a long and profitable
> future of nonalignment, balancing between China and the U.S., coaxed and
> petted by both sides, committing to neither. "

Paywalled, so I cannot read it, but anyway, about the climate change, It is
pretty unfair.
Take an example from Indonesia.
Indonesia has a problem with the power coverage, and you can call it
inadequate, they are trying to fix it with the coal power plant. it is because
it is cheap and reliable, and Indonesia is the third rank of the producer of
the largest coal but they are not using it as much as other countries.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coal_production>
<https://www.worldometers.info/coal/coal-consumption-by-country/>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Indonesia>
<https://earthjournalism.net/stories/coal-fever-in-indonesia>

So to force it to its citizen, to have relatively expensive renewal energy,
why not just use the coal power plant.
Other countries consume more coal, even states are third on the list of the
biggest consumer of coal. This means that your Tesla may be powered by coal.
So no wonder they are not thinking so much about the agenda and called the
west a hypocrite.
<https://www.clientearth.org/latest/latest-updates/stories/fossil-fuels-and-climate-change-the-facts/>
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-020-0866-1>

In fact, about the Russia and Ukraine war, Indonesia is trouble with it, since
Indonesia buys relatively cheap Russian oils to power up the country.
<https://www.ft.com/content/a8d05fc6-439c-40a0-abe6-4db26a3e3ee4>
<https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/Indonesia-in-spotlight-as-it-weighs-buying-Russia-s-blood-oil>

If Indonesia does not have cheap oils, maybe the country's stability would be
on the edge since the 1998 Suharto fall was because the oil price skyrocketed
and the Rupiah value was free-falling.
So that is why the Indonesian government tries to stop it with dialogue
instead of banning the trade with Russia.
Well, at least it is not like some countries that try to ban the trade but
still use the cheap Russian oils.
--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~