Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 00:11:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Playing Ludo with doubling cube.
From: mur...@compuplus.net (MK)
 by: MK - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:11 UTC

In https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.backgammon/c/R0unE4azq6U/m/4Js-vBreAgAJ

On August 16, 2022 at 12:38:34 AM UTC-6, MK wrote:

> On August 13, 2022 at 7:21:13 AM UTC-6, Axel Reichert wrote:
>> MK <mu...@compuplus.net> writes:

>>> I can't offer any branching numbers, etc. but I have
>>> the feeling that it can get pretty darn complicated...
>> I imagine that the "terrain", as perceived by an
>> optimizer, is very flat, meaning that the equity
>> difference between the (few) possible moves
>> will be tiny, similar to long races such as this:

> I bet it would really upset you if Ludo proved to need
> more skill than gamblegammon but why should you
> even worry about it? It's also a game of luck played
> by rolling a die. You can concoct a "doubling cube
> theory for Ludo" using tinyly accurate equities and
> then just switch to gambling with gambleludo... ;)

After posting the above in another thread, I couldn't
stop thinking about it...

If we wanted to play Ludo with a doubling cube, how
would it work?

How many doubling cubes would be used? One? Four?
Sixteen with four of different colors for each player?
More??

How the doubling cubes would be used? One player
would double against all other three? If one drops and
two take, then can either one of those two redouble
against the other two? Can one player simply take but
one of the other players beaver?

Can each player double against any player individually?
Against two of the three? Double against one, redouble
against another at thsame time? ...? ...?

Ha ha! :) Anyone willing to participate in inventing some
doubling rules and "cube skill theory" for Ludo..? :)

Come on folks, let's have some fun!

MK