Newsgroups: rec.games.backgammon
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 04:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A stronger interpretation of Stick's DMP rule
From: pepste...@gmail.com (peps...@gmail.com)
 by: peps...@gmail.com - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:58 UTC

If I remember it rightly, it's something like to make the DMP checkerplay
unless the position is an obvious exception.
I think it makes a stronger rule if we also exclude position _types_ where
the rule clearly does not apply.
For example, suppose we have one or more checkers on our opponent's acepoint and the opponent is bearing off their two and three point.
Clearly, it's wrong to commit to staying back until contact is broken,
and we need to sometimes sacrifice wins to save gammons and
backgammons. The DMP rule makes no sense in this position type.
Sometimes, the DMP play is correct and sometimes it isn't -- it isn't a
helpful rule here.
Similarly, if you're bearing off against two checkers on the bar, and there
is no other contact, you often sacrifice a smooth risk-free bearoff to
chase extra gammons. In fact, below world-class level, players are far
more likely to be too cautious and miss gammons then too safe.
Here, the DMP rule is unhelpful indeed.

Paul