No user-servicable parts inside. Refer to qualified service personnel.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Dang it!

SubjectAuthor
* Dang it!cshenk
`* Re: Dang it!Snag
 `* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  +* Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  |`* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  | +* Re: Dang it!Snag
  | |+* Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  | ||`* Re: Dang it!Snag
  | || +- Re: Dang it!cshenk
  | || `- Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  | |`* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  | | `* Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  | |  `* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  | |   `- Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  | `* Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  |  `* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  |   `* Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  |    `* Re: Dang it!cshenk
  |     `- Re: Dang it!Nyssa
  +* Re: Dang it!Ralph Mowery
  |`- Re: Dang it!cshenk
  `* Re: Dang it!songbird
   `- Re: Dang it!cshenk

1
Dang it!

<UtacnRMbj4HMG7v7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=958&group=rec.gardens.edible#958

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Dang it!
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:46:25 +0000
 by: cshenk - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:46 UTC

Late coldsnap got me. Lost 4 trays of seedlings in the green house.
All my red bell peppers.

I will have to redesign the sunroom better for more seedling space.
That will take awhile as it's got a lot of junk to clear out.

I've still got time to get herbs started. I'll have to get starter
plants now. Ah well, The delicata and zucchini are fine still and
there's 6 trays still inside.

Re: Dang it!

<v068pt$137g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=959&group=rec.gardens.edible#959

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Dang it!
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:03:42 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

On 4/22/2024 10:46 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Late coldsnap got me. Lost 4 trays of seedlings in the green house.
> All my red bell peppers.
>
> I will have to redesign the sunroom better for more seedling space.
> That will take awhile as it's got a lot of junk to clear out.
>
> I've still got time to get herbs started. I'll have to get starter
> plants now. Ah well, The delicata and zucchini are fine still and
> there's 6 trays still inside.

I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the frost on our
cars this morning I'm glad I did !
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: Dang it!

<S-adnf1FfLr1dbr7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=960&group=rec.gardens.edible#960

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:57:12 +0000
 by: cshenk - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:57 UTC

Snag wrote:

> On 4/22/2024 10:46 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Late coldsnap got me. Lost 4 trays of seedlings in the green house.
> > All my red bell peppers.
> >
> > I will have to redesign the sunroom better for more seedling space.
> > That will take awhile as it's got a lot of junk to clear out.
> >
> > I've still got time to get herbs started. I'll have to get starter
> > plants now. Ah well, The delicata and zucchini are fine still and
> > there's 6 trays still inside.
> >

> I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the frost on our
> cars this morning I'm glad I did !

Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night. Sprang
up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.

Re: Dang it!

<v08s0s$1oe63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=961&group=rec.gardens.edible#961

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:44:30 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:44 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Snag wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2024 10:46 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> > Late coldsnap got me. Lost 4 trays of seedlings in the
>> > green house. All my red bell peppers.
>> >
>> > I will have to redesign the sunroom better for more
>> > seedling space. That will take awhile as it's got a lot
>> > of junk to clear out.
>> >
>> > I've still got time to get herbs started. I'll have to
>> > get starter
>> > plants now. Ah well, The delicata and zucchini are
>> > fine still and there's 6 trays still inside.
>> >

>> I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the
>> frost on our
>> cars this morning I'm glad I did !
>
> Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last
> night. Sprang
> up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog
> out.

I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd transplanted
into their hanging baskets. They really looked done-for,
but I brought them in and they recovered, thank goodness.

OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big
pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot
later today.

Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
try

Re: Dang it!

<MPG.4091ea942a4e0b55989f65@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=962&group=rec.gardens.edible#962

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:56:40 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:56 UTC

In article <S-adnf1FfLr1dbr7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>,
cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...

> > I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the frost on our
> > cars this morning I'm glad I did !
>
> Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night. Sprang
> up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.

I had 12 tomato plants set out and over the county here was spotted
frost. I just hope it missed mine. Middle of NC.

Re: Dang it!

<67hmfk-p922.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=963&group=rec.gardens.edible#963

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 01:16:54 -0400
 by: songbird - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 05:16 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night. Sprang
> up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.

there's a hard frost in the forecast for tomorrow night
so i'm glad i don't have anything out there that i'm
worried about being damaged.

Mom noticed the lilac bush is probably not going to
flower again this season, but we'll see how it goes -
sometimes nature figures it out anyways. if it doesn't
this will be the third season in a row that it didn't
do very well.

songbird

Re: Dang it!

<9YWdnbrqDoyV5LT7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=964&group=rec.gardens.edible#964

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:26:32 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:26 UTC

Nyssa wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Snag wrote:

> >> I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the
> >> frost on our
> >> cars this morning I'm glad I did !
> >
> > Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last
> > night. Sprang
> > up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog
> > out.
>
> I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd transplanted
> into their hanging baskets. They really looked done-for,
> but I brought them in and they recovered, thank goodness.

I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a little bit in
there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was seeded but not
germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still in packets and
some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.

> OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big
> pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot
> later today.

That's good!

> Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
> and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
> seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
> try

I have yet to make my run.

Re: Dang it!

<v0c15n$2ipfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=965&group=rec.gardens.edible#965

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 17:30:14 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:30 UTC

On 4/24/2024 4:26 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Nyssa wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last
>>> night. Sprang
>>> up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog
>>> out.
>>
>> I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd transplanted
>> into their hanging baskets. They really looked done-for,
>> but I brought them in and they recovered, thank goodness.
>
> I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a little bit in
> there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was seeded but not
> germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still in packets and
> some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.
>

>> OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big
>> pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot
>> later today.
>
> That's good!
>
>> Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
>> and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
>> seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
>> try
>
> I have yet to make my run.

My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and has soil to
give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project , and it
looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement my garden topsoil . For
free , but I'll make sure he (the neighbor) gets compensated for at
least his fuel for hauling it to me .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: Dang it!

<v0dnrt$31maa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=966&group=rec.gardens.edible#966

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:04:12 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:04 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Nyssa wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>> > Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last
>> > night. Sprang
>> > up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog
>> > out.
>>
>> I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd
>> transplanted into their hanging baskets. They really
>> looked done-for, but I brought them in and they
>> recovered, thank goodness.
>
> I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a
> little bit in
> there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was
> seeded but not
> germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still in
> packets and some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.
>

>> OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big
>> pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot
>> later today.
>
> That's good!
>
>> Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
>> and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
>> seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
>> try
>
> I have yet to make my run.

I'm going to have to make another run probably next week.

Since I had my deck re-done, I'll need to buy some pot
stands (wheeled for the bigger pots) to keep the pots
off the decking. I priced them when I was at Lowe's and
they are *expensive*! Yikes! But I figure spending a couple
of hundred for the stands is better than paying a couple
of thousand to have the deck re-done again in a few years.

Meanwhile, the temperatures are still going down into
the 40s at night, so I'm still stuck with a lot of plants
indoors under the plant light taking up room that should
be used by new seed starts. :/

The wind is another worry. Gusting up to 35mph doesn't
bode well for new transplants or hardening off seedlings.
Even if temperatures rise, that wind is going to delay
matters even longer.

IIRC, the last frost date for VB is 23 March. For here,
it's 7 April. Either way, these late frosts we've both
been getting are really outliers that are probably setting
a few records. I just want it all to normalize so I can
get stuff growing outside!

A gardener's/farmer's life is not easy.

Nyssa, who at least has blueberry plants that are
doing okay in this weird weather (fingers crossed)

Re: Dang it!

<v0dnv7$31maa$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=967&group=rec.gardens.edible#967

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:06:05 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:06 UTC

Snag wrote:

> On 4/24/2024 4:26 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Nyssa wrote:

>>> I almost lost half of my vinca plants that I'd
>>> transplanted into their hanging baskets. They really
>>> looked done-for, but I brought them in and they
>>> recovered, thank goodness.
>>
>> I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a
>> little bit in
>> there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was
>> seeded but not
>> germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still
>> in packets and some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.
>>

>>> OTOH the lettuce plants I had put outside in their big
>>> pots did just fine. I'll be adding more to another pot
>>> later today.
>>
>> That's good!
>>
>>> Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
>>> and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
>>> seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
>>> try
>>
>> I have yet to make my run.
>>

> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and
> has soil to
> give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project
> , and it looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement
> my garden topsoil . For free , but I'll make sure he (the
> neighbor) gets compensated for at least his fuel for
> hauling it to me .

Good deal! I wish I could find such a deal for my low-lying
section of backyard.

Nice that you're remembering to "tip" for the delivery.
A lot of people wouldn't think to do that these days.

Nyssa, who lives in a swamp and suffers the muddy
consequences every spring

Re: Dang it!

<v0dq6t$326fg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=968&group=rec.gardens.edible#968

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:43:39 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:43 UTC

On 4/25/2024 9:06 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> Snag wrote:

>>> I was able to save 2 seedling trays and 1 patial with a
>>> little bit in
>>> there. It's the red peppers that hurt. The lettuce was
>>> seeded but not
>>> germinated yet so there's hope yet. I have herbs still
>>> in packets and some odds-n-ends still in seed packets.

>>> That's good!

>>> I have yet to make my run.
>>>

>> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and
>> has soil to
>> give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project
>> , and it looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement
>> my garden topsoil . For free , but I'll make sure he (the
>> neighbor) gets compensated for at least his fuel for
>> hauling it to me .
>
> Good deal! I wish I could find such a deal for my low-lying
> section of backyard.
>
> Nice that you're remembering to "tip" for the delivery.
> A lot of people wouldn't think to do that these days.
>
> Nyssa, who lives in a swamp and suffers the muddy
> consequences every spring

We have formed a pretty tight group of people here in The Holler .
Every one of us brings a different talent to the group and we all help
each other when there is a need or opportunity . I'm the metalworking
Mr. Fixit , Ken is our small engine guy , Tim helps out with his backhoe
, and so on . And we all have gardens and share seedlings - I always
plant more than I intend to use so I have some to share . Several of us
have hens , so there's never a shortage of eggs . Or fertilizer !
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: Dang it!

<jsWcnS7Gvs5v8Lf7nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=969&group=rec.gardens.edible#969

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:51:30 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:51 UTC

Snag wrote:

> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and has soil to
> give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project , and it
> looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement my garden topsoil .
> For free , but I'll make sure he (the neighbor) gets compensated for
> at least his fuel for hauling it to me .

Good deal!

I keep getting offers for seedlings I don't want in exchange for my
food plants. I've told her privately, no. Wt've exchanged before and
she always turns my 'must pickup' into I have to go there. Frankly
Virginia Beach is probably a LOT bigger than most here realize. She's
a 1.5hr round trip. There are others who are 2.5hr round trip. No
thanks!

Re: Dang it!

<tsidncAVMtZB6Lf7nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=970&group=rec.gardens.edible#970

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:25:16 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:25 UTC

Nyssa wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Nyssa wrote:
> >
> >> Nyssa, who when on a gardening supply run this morning
> >> and snagged two huge pots for tomatoes and replacement
> >> seeds for other starts that didn't start on the first
> >> try
> >
> > I have yet to make my run.
>
> I'm going to have to make another run probably next week.
>
> Since I had my deck re-done, I'll need to buy some pot
> stands (wheeled for the bigger pots) to keep the pots
> off the decking. I priced them when I was at Lowe's and
> they are expensive! Yikes! But I figure spending a couple
> of hundred for the stands is better than paying a couple
> of thousand to have the deck re-done again in a few years.

Are you handy with wood? They are simple to make. Castor locking
wheels.

Depending on size needed, these may do.

https://www.amazon.com/Taiyin-Lockable-Rolling-Outdoor-Planter/dp/B0C7TF7GLD/

Lots of others for low cost in different sizes.

Also, if handy with basic tools-

https://www.chatfieldcourt.com/the-easiest-diy-rolling-plant-stand/

Nothing says you have to use a square. 6 wheels and rectangle may work
better for your needs. 1 sheet 3/4in thick PT plywood (4ft x 8ft).
Cut off top 2ft leaving a 6ft x4ft section. Cut the 6ft x 4ft secion
inti 3 16ib 6ft sections. Apply 4 wheels to the 4 corners the 2 at
center sides. Seal then paint the wood with exterior paint (top and
bottom for longevity). The remaing wood could be 4 more rolling
planters as 12in x 2ft or whatever you want.

> Meanwhile, the temperatures are still going down into
> the 40s at night, so I'm still stuck with a lot of plants
> indoors under the plant light taking up room that should
> be used by new seed starts. :/
>
> The wind is another worry. Gusting up to 35mph doesn't
> bode well for new transplants or hardening off seedlings.
> Even if temperatures rise, that wind is going to delay
> matters even longer.
>
> IIRC, the last frost date for VB is 23 March. For here,
> it's 7 April. Either way, these late frosts we've both
> been getting are really outliers that are probably setting
> a few records. I just want it all to normalize so I can
> get stuff growing outside!
>
> A gardener's/farmer's life is not easy.

It will happen though!

> Nyssa, who at least has blueberry plants that are
> doing okay in this weird weather (fingers crossed)

Apples and Cherries doing well!

Re: Dang it!

<bmydnaR0BKwb67f7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=971&group=rec.gardens.edible#971

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:28:06 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:28 UTC

Snag wrote:

> On 4/25/2024 9:06 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> > Snag wrote:

> >> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and
> >> has soil to
> > > give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion project
> > > , and it looks like I'll be getting a load to supplement
> > > my garden topsoil . For free , but I'll make sure he (the
> > > neighbor) gets compensated for at least his fuel for
> > > hauling it to me .
> >
> > Good deal! I wish I could find such a deal for my low-lying
> > section of backyard.
> >
> > Nice that you're remembering to "tip" for the delivery.
> > A lot of people wouldn't think to do that these days.
> >
> > Nyssa, who lives in a swamp and suffers the muddy
> > consequences every spring
> >

> We have formed a pretty tight group of people here in The Holler .
> Every one of us brings a different talent to the group and we all
> help each other when there is a need or opportunity . I'm the
> metalworking Mr. Fixit , Ken is our small engine guy , Tim helps out
> with his backhoe , and so on . And we all have gardens and share
> seedlings - I always plant more than I intend to use so I have some
> to share . Several of us have hens , so there's never a shortage of
> eggs . Or fertilizer !

Nice!

Re: Dang it!

<BO-dnfgqHIHT5Lf7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=972&group=rec.gardens.edible#972

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:39:58 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:39 UTC

Ralph Mowery wrote:

> In article <S-adnf1FfLr1dbr7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> cshenk@virginia-beach.net says...
> >

> > > I brought mine in last night ... and after seeing the frost on
> > > our cars this morning I'm glad I did !
> >
> > Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night.
> > Sprang up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.
> >

> I had 12 tomato plants set out and over the county here was spotted
> frost. I just hope it missed mine. Middle of NC.

Good luck! Mine made it. We are right on the atlantic so warmer than
central NC.

Re: Dang it!

<vTudnSVf_epp57f7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=973&group=rec.gardens.edible#973

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:47:00 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:47 UTC

songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Too much to bring in. Ah well, tomatos weathered last night.
> > Sprang up suddenly. It was 31f when Don got up to let the dog out.
>
> there's a hard frost in the forecast for tomorrow night
> so i'm glad i don't have anything out there that i'm
> worried about being damaged.
>
> Mom noticed the lilac bush is probably not going to
> flower again this season, but we'll see how it goes -
> sometimes nature figures it out anyways. if it doesn't
> this will be the third season in a row that it didn't
> do very well.
>

> songbird

Awe. Had awesome luck with one of those some years ago but a hard
winter finally got it.

Re: Dang it!

<v0ea5v$35o0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=974&group=rec.gardens.edible#974

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:16:45 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:16 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Snag wrote:
>
>> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping and has
>> soil to give away ...I need some fill for a shop
>> expansion project , and it looks like I'll be getting a
>> load to supplement my garden topsoil . For free , but
>> I'll make sure he (the neighbor) gets compensated for at
>> least his fuel for hauling it to me .
>
> Good deal!
>
> I keep getting offers for seedlings I don't want in
> exchange for my
> food plants. I've told her privately, no. Wt've
> exchanged before and
> she always turns my 'must pickup' into I have to go there.
> Frankly
> Virginia Beach is probably a LOT bigger than most here
> realize. She's
> a 1.5hr round trip. There are others who are 2.5hr round
> trip. No thanks!

Yes, VB is the largest city population-wise in the state
and 2nd in land area (Chesapeake is #1).

VB used to be tiny...only a few blocks wide and the
distance down Atlantic Avenue where the hotels were.

Then they "merged" with Princess Anne County and took
over. :(

The tax rates went way up and the service level went
way down...and continued from there.

Nyssa, who was raised in Princess Anne County, *not*
VB

Re: Dang it!

<v0eag2$35tdc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=975&group=rec.gardens.edible#975

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:22:10 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:22 UTC

Snag wrote:

> On 4/25/2024 9:06 AM, Nyssa wrote:
>> Snag wrote:

>>> My neighbor has a friend who did some landscaping
>>> and has soil to
>>> give away ...I need some fill for a shop expansion
>>> project , and it looks like I'll be getting a load to
>>> supplement my garden topsoil . For free , but I'll make
>>> sure he (the neighbor) gets compensated for at least his
>>> fuel for hauling it to me .
>>
>> Good deal! I wish I could find such a deal for my
>> low-lying section of backyard.
>>
>> Nice that you're remembering to "tip" for the delivery.
>> A lot of people wouldn't think to do that these days.
>>
>> Nyssa, who lives in a swamp and suffers the muddy
>> consequences every spring
>>

> We have formed a pretty tight group of people here in
> The Holler .
> Every one of us brings a different talent to the group and
> we all help each other when there is a need or opportunity
> . I'm the metalworking Mr. Fixit , Ken is our small engine
> guy , Tim helps out with his backhoe , and so on . And we
> all have gardens and share seedlings - I always plant more
> than I intend to use so I have some to share . Several of
> us have hens , so there's never a shortage of eggs . Or
> fertilizer !

That's a very good support group! I wish I had something
like that here.

As it is, I'm the one who shares seedlings and helps
answer gardening questions.

I am also the Designated Baker and share breads and
cupcakes, etc.

I do have one neighbor who helped me pull my riding
mower out of the mud my first mow of the season. I
couldn't budge the thing by myself.

I guess I'm building up brownie points, but with
few people able/willing to let me cash them in when
I need help in return.

Nyssa, who wishes there were some people around with
talents other than hers to call on...besides the ones
you have to pay for

Re: Dang it!

<v0eap4$35v5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=976&group=rec.gardens.edible#976

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:27:01 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:27 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Nyssa wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>> > I have yet to make my run.
>>
>> I'm going to have to make another run probably next week.
>>
>> Since I had my deck re-done, I'll need to buy some pot
>> stands (wheeled for the bigger pots) to keep the pots
>> off the decking. I priced them when I was at Lowe's and
>> they are expensive! Yikes! But I figure spending a couple
>> of hundred for the stands is better than paying a couple
>> of thousand to have the deck re-done again in a few
>> years.
>
> Are you handy with wood? They are simple to make. Castor
> locking wheels.
>
> Depending on size needed, these may do.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Taiyin-Lockable-Rolling-Outdoor-
Planter/dp/B0C7TF7GLD/

> Lots of others for low cost in different sizes.
>
> Also, if handy with basic tools-
>
> https://www.chatfieldcourt.com/the-easiest-diy-rolling-plant-stand/
>
> Nothing says you have to use a square. 6 wheels and
> rectangle may work
> better for your needs. 1 sheet 3/4in thick PT plywood
> (4ft x 8ft).
> Cut off top 2ft leaving a 6ft x4ft section. Cut the 6ft x
> 4ft secion
> inti 3 16ib 6ft sections. Apply 4 wheels to the 4 corners
> the 2 at
> center sides. Seal then paint the wood with exterior
> paint (top and
> bottom for longevity). The remaing wood could be 4 more
> rolling planters as 12in x 2ft or whatever you want.
>
>> Meanwhile, the temperatures are still going down into
>> the 40s at night, so I'm still stuck with a lot of plants
>> indoors under the plant light taking up room that should
>> be used by new seed starts. :/
>>
>> The wind is another worry. Gusting up to 35mph doesn't
>> bode well for new transplants or hardening off seedlings.
>> Even if temperatures rise, that wind is going to delay
>> matters even longer.
>>
>> IIRC, the last frost date for VB is 23 March. For here,
>> it's 7 April. Either way, these late frosts we've both
>> been getting are really outliers that are probably
>> setting a few records. I just want it all to normalize so
>> I can get stuff growing outside!
>>
>> A gardener's/farmer's life is not easy.
>
> It will happen though!
>>
>> Nyssa, who at least has blueberry plants that are
>> doing okay in this weird weather (fingers crossed)
>
> Apples and Cherries doing well!

I've got tools plus some scrap wood (including a dozen
two foot outcuts from my decking) in the shed, but haven't
had time to come up with ideas of how to use them yet.

The planter stands I saw are heavy cast iron with casters
that will be sturdy enough to last for years I would think.
Pricey though.

I'm juggling so many to-dos and projects right now, I've
got to find some shortcuts for a few in order to catch up.
This month-long delay in getting the gardening started
is just adding to the drama.

Nyssa, who will keep trying to think of ideas and looking
for some ready-made solutions

Re: Dang it!

<262cnWm_m-RyfLb7nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=977&group=rec.gardens.edible#977

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:18:39 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:18 UTC

Nyssa wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> Yes, VB is the largest city population-wise in the state
> and 2nd in land area (Chesapeake is #1).

Yup, all the local ones 'encorperated' to county wide. Makes former
suburbs subjuect to the main citie's taxes...

> VB used to be tiny...only a few blocks wide and the
> distance down Atlantic Avenue where the hotels were.

You'd have go back before the civil war to find it that small though.

> Then they "merged" with Princess Anne County and took
> over. :(
>
> The tax rates went way up and the service level went
> way down...and continued from there.

Yes, and a LOT of growth since then. I'd say south of the 'green line'
is still sparse but that's about all. The rest is dense population and
apartments or town houses with single family houses in areas.

I forgot you were a fellow baker! I'm still doing almost all our
breads.

Re: Dang it!

<UNicnYdLJLY9eLb7nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=978&group=rec.gardens.edible#978

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:34:24 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:34 UTC

Nyssa wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Nyssa wrote:
> > Depending on size needed, these may do. (on planters with wheels).

> > https://www.amazon.com/Taiyin-Lockable-Rolling-Outdoor-
> Planter/dp/B0C7TF7GLD/
>
> I've got tools plus some scrap wood (including a dozen
> two foot outcuts from my decking) in the shed, but haven't
> had time to come up with ideas of how to use them yet.

Well, that would work but take longer to build.

> The planter stands I saw are heavy cast iron with casters
> that will be sturdy enough to last for years I would think.
> Pricey though.

Yes. Did you look around on Amazon? They have sturdy metal ones of
14-16 inches for not too much.

> Nyssa, who will keep trying to think of ideas and looking
> for some ready-made solutions

Re: Dang it!

<v0hfve$3vnec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=979&group=rec.gardens.edible#979

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:14:07 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:14 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Nyssa wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Yes, VB is the largest city population-wise in the state
>> and 2nd in land area (Chesapeake is #1).
>
> Yup, all the local ones 'encorperated' to county wide.
> Makes former suburbs subjuect to the main citie's taxes...
>

>> VB used to be tiny...only a few blocks wide and the
>> distance down Atlantic Avenue where the hotels were.
>
> You'd have go back before the civil war to find it that
> small though.

Nope, VB was still tiny into the '50s and '60s. They
were deeply in debt because their tax income was so
seasonal and relatively high maintenance.

That's why they gobbled up Princess Anne County. It
expanded the tax base and allowed them to take on
even more debt on the backs of the newly acquired
"assets."

The county got twice a week garbage pickup before
being gobbled. After gobbling it went to once a week
while the taxes went crazy. We didn't even have a
library back then; Norfolk sent us out a bookmobile,
at least to the nearby areas.

Admittedly, it would have been MUCH worse to have
been gobbled by the city of Norfolk though. :/

>> Then they "merged" with Princess Anne County and took
>> over. :(
>>
>> The tax rates went way up and the service level went
>> way down...and continued from there.
>
> Yes, and a LOT of growth since then. I'd say south of the
> 'green line'
> is still sparse but that's about all. The rest is dense
> population and apartments or town houses with single
> family houses in areas.
>
> I forgot you were a fellow baker! I'm still doing almost
> all our breads.

Yep, I've got a freezer crammed with sandwich bread
and sandwich buns plus a few muffins. Gotta add some
cookies or cupcakes before the hot weather finally
gets here.

Nyssa, who will be multi-tasking

Re: Dang it!

<v0hg45$3vnec$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=980&group=rec.gardens.edible#980

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:16:45 -0400
 by: Nyssa - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:16 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> Nyssa wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> > Nyssa wrote:
>> > Depending on size needed, these may do. (on planters
>> > with wheels).
>

>> > https://www.amazon.com/Taiyin-Lockable-Rolling-Outdoor-
>> Planter/dp/B0C7TF7GLD/
>>
>> I've got tools plus some scrap wood (including a dozen
>> two foot outcuts from my decking) in the shed, but
>> haven't had time to come up with ideas of how to use them
>> yet.
>
> Well, that would work but take longer to build.
>
>> The planter stands I saw are heavy cast iron with casters
>> that will be sturdy enough to last for years I would
>> think. Pricey though.
>
> Yes. Did you look around on Amazon? They have sturdy
> metal ones of 14-16 inches for not too much.
>
>> Nyssa, who will keep trying to think of ideas and looking
>> for some ready-made solutions

I haven't had a chance to check there, but I'm very
cautious of buying something like that without being
able to eyeball it. I just got skunked on a recent
ammy purchase, and I'm not in a hurry to get skunked
again.

Nyssa who rarely gets skunked on a purchase, but it
does happen