You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

SubjectAuthor
* If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVIltlee1
`* Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forstoney
 +* Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forltlee1
 |+- Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forstoney
 |`* Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forborie
 | `- Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forltlee1
 `- Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity forltlee1

1
If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<3debeb7d-ece5-46b7-ac16-4148c83127b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9643&group=soc.culture.china#9643

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 09:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: If_you’re_still_waiting_for_herd_immunity_for_COVI
D-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 16:05 UTC

"Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.

But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.

Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.

Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.

But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<4f757570-18ae-4d1a-b93f-1a1351ec4226n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9645&group=soc.culture.china#9645

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 22:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_If_you’re_still_waiting_for_herd_immunity_for_
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 05:01 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:05:03 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.
>
> But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.
>
> Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.
>
> Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.
>
> But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg

Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<f2091db5-ba8d-47fc-90bd-8009a0a67f56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9653&group=soc.culture.china#9653

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 09:31:37 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 16:31 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 1:01:23 AM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:05:03 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.
> >
> > But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.
> >
> > Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.
> >
> > Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.
> >
> > But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."
> >
> > https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg

> Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.

Human evolution.
Those who did not evolve to produce long lasting antibodies died out.
Example: Native Americans.

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<56523991-9469-455c-a0dd-8764e27a802bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9654&group=soc.culture.china#9654

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 09:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 16:38 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 1:01:23 AM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:05:03 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.
> >
> > But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.
> >
> > Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.
> >
> > Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.
> >
> > But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."
> >
> > https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg
> Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.

Small pox has been with us for a long long time.
Humans evolved long lasting antibodies to deal with the disease.
Those who failed to respond genetically or epi-genetically died out.
For example, many native Americans died of small pox.

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<983c47b5-fb2f-4023-ab5c-ccb69f987be3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9656&group=soc.culture.china#9656

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 17:51 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 12:35:50 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 1:01:23 AM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:05:03 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.
> > >
> > > But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.
> > >
> > > Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.
> > >
> > > Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.
> > >
> > > But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."
> > >
> > > https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg
>

> > Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.
> Human evolution.
> Those who did not evolve to produce long lasting antibodies died out.
> Example: Native Americans.

Why Native Americans are typically lacking of antibodies?

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<ddd10c2f-087b-4d43-b9ec-c1d938b4c1b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9666&group=soc.culture.china#9666

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 23:39:54 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: zifon...@gmail.com (borie)
 by: borie - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 06:39 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 12:35:50 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 1:01:23 AM UTC-4, stoney wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:05:03 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "Early in the pandemic, scientists and public health experts leaned on their experience with other viruses to make predictions about COVID-19, hopeful that when enough people developed immunity, the virus would be stopped in its tracks.
> > >
> > > But in the years that followed, and even after the introduction of highly effective vaccines, vaccine scientists and public health experts interviewed by ABC News realized COVID-19 is unlikely to completely disappear.
> > >
> > > Although herd immunity through widespread vaccination can be a successful strategy for certain viruses, such as those that cause smallpox and polio, scientists no longer consider it an appropriate management strategy for the virus that causes COVID-19, these experts said.
> > >
> > > Herd immunity refers to a situation where a virus can't spread because it keeps encountering people who are resistant to it. As a result, a small number of people who lack resistance can still be protected by the "herd" of resistant people around them, because the virus is less likely to spread to them.
> > >
> > > But herd immunity depends on some hidden assumptions. First, that resistant people stay resistant. Second, that resistant (or vaccinated) people cannot transmit the virus. Scientists learned over the past two years that these assumptions do not hold for COVID-19."
> > >
> > > https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/medical/if-you-re-still-waiting-for-herd-immunity-for-covid-19-it-s-time-to-move-on-experts/ar-AAY3iXg
>

> > Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.
> Human evolution.
> Those who did not evolve to produce long lasting antibodies died out.
> Example: Native Americans.

Strangely, why do you say in your example is Native Americans and not others.? Can you enlighten and elaborate?

Re: If you’re still waiting for herd immunity for COVID-19, it's time to move on: Experts

<24534b9d-c6d8-4148-95fa-b0afa773f5b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9667&group=soc.culture.china#9667

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 04:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
COVID-19,_it's_time_to_move_on:_Experts
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 11:28 UTC

On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 2:39:55 AM UTC-4, borie wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 12:35:50 AM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Wonder why small pox and polio vaccinations that done in the early age of life will still be producing antibodies in our body throughout our life in years later?. Does one has to take another top-up jab for small pox or polio vaccination when later in life?.
> > Human evolution.
> > Those who did not evolve to produce long lasting antibodies died out.
> > Example: Native Americans.
> Strangely, why do you say in your example is Native Americans and not others.? Can you enlighten and elaborate?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12003378/
"Abstract
With the arrival of Europeans in the Western Hemisphere, Native American populations were
exposed to new infectious diseases, diseases for which they lacked immunity.. These
communicable diseases, including smallpox and measles, devastated entire native
populations. In this article, we focus on the effect of smallpox on the Native Americans
from the 15th through the 19th centuries. Among the "new" infectious diseases brought
by the Europeans, smallpox was one of the most feared because of the high mortality rates
in infected Native Americans. This fear may have been well-founded, because the Native
Americans were victims of what was probably one of the earliest episodes of biological
warfare. Fortunately, they were also major beneficiaries of early vaccination programs.
Thus, the arrival of smallpox and the decline of the Native American populations are
inexorably linked, as the history summarized here illustrates."