Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The US Could Lose the New Cold War With China and Russia by Joseph E. Stiglitz
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:00 UTC

"Europe and America excel at lecturing others on what is morally right and economically sensible. But the message that usually comes through—as the persistence of U.S. and European agricultural subsidies makes clear—is "do what I say, not what I do." Especially after the Trump years, America no longer holds any claim to the moral high ground, nor does it have the credibility to dispense advice. Neoliberalism and trickle-down economics were never widely embraced in the Global South, and now they are going out of fashion everywhere.

The U.S. might know how to make the world’s best bombers and missile systems, but they will not help us here.

At the same time, China has excelled not at delivering lectures but at furnishing poor countries with hard infrastructure. Yes, these countries are often left deeply in debt; but, given Western banks' own behavior as creditors in the developing world, the U.S. and others are hardly in a position to point the finger.

I could go on, but the point should be clear: If the U.S. is going to embark on a new cold war, it had better understand what it will take to win. Cold wars ultimately are won with the soft power of attraction and persuasion. To come out on top, we must convince the rest of the world to buy not just our products, but also the social, political, and economic system we're selling.

The U.S. might know how to make the world’s best bombers and missile systems, but they will not help us here. Instead, we must offer concrete help to developing and emerging-market countries, starting with a waiver on all Covid-related intellectual property so that they can produce vaccines and treatments for themselves.

Equally important, the West must once again make our economic, social, and political systems the envy of the world. In the U.S., that starts with reducing gun violence, improving environmental regulations, combating inequality and racism, and protecting women's reproductive rights. Until we have proven ourselves worthy to lead, we cannot expect others to march to our drum."

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/06/19/us-could-lose-new-cold-war-china-and-russia

Re: The US Could Lose the New Cold War With China and Russia by Joseph E. Stiglitz

<4af78d1d-3c8e-4278-bdb6-0a46cfb3b9d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9801&group=soc.culture.china#9801

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The US Could Lose the New Cold War With China and Russia by
Joseph E. Stiglitz
From: papajoe...@yahoo.com (stoney)
 by: stoney - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:25 UTC

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 6:00:22 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Europe and America excel at lecturing others on what is morally right and economically sensible. But the message that usually comes through—as the persistence of U.S. and European agricultural subsidies makes clear—is "do what I say, not what I do." Especially after the Trump years, America no longer holds any claim to the moral high ground, nor does it have the credibility to dispense advice. Neoliberalism and trickle-down economics were never widely embraced in the Global South, and now they are going out of fashion everywhere.
>
> The U.S. might know how to make the world’s best bombers and missile systems, but they will not help us here.
>
> At the same time, China has excelled not at delivering lectures but at furnishing poor countries with hard infrastructure. Yes, these countries are often left deeply in debt; but, given Western banks' own behavior as creditors in the developing world, the U.S. and others are hardly in a position to point the finger.
>
> I could go on, but the point should be clear: If the U.S. is going to embark on a new cold war, it had better understand what it will take to win. Cold wars ultimately are won with the soft power of attraction and persuasion. To come out on top, we must convince the rest of the world to buy not just our products, but also the social, political, and economic system we're selling.
>
> The U.S. might know how to make the world’s best bombers and missile systems, but they will not help us here. Instead, we must offer concrete help to developing and emerging-market countries, starting with a waiver on all Covid-related intellectual property so that they can produce vaccines and treatments for themselves.
>
> Equally important, the West must once again make our economic, social, and political systems the envy of the world. In the U.S., that starts with reducing gun violence, improving environmental regulations, combating inequality and racism, and protecting women's reproductive rights. Until we have proven ourselves worthy to lead, we cannot expect others to march to our drum."
>
> https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/06/19/us-could-lose-new-cold-war-china-and-russia

Cold war is not working anymore. Instead of cold war at countries that US disliked, US will be cold war by them instead. Other countries are now giving excuses in not attending any push-pull meeting drawn up by US anymore. They know their presence in US is to kowtow to US demands on them to support them, instead. So why would countries want US military on their shore, when they know it is a matter of time will be succumbed and under by them, instead. Just take a good look at the two puppet governments will know their skills - South Korea and Japan.