Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 20:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dr. Harold Hoffman, innovative neurosurgeon
From: terrypar...@sympatico.ca (Terry Parker)
 by: Terry Parker - Tue, 25 May 2021 03:40 UTC

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 5:40:56 PM UTC-4, slim...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 9:59:15 AM UTC-5, marilyn...@aol.com wrote:
> > http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041120/OBHOFFMAN20/TPObituaries/
> >
> > The Toronto neurosurgeon operated on thousands of patients and yet his
> > best known case was a 12-hour procedure performed on two little girls
> > from Karachi, Pakistan
> > By SANDRA MARTIN (Toronto Globe and Mail)
> > Saturday, November 20, 2004 - Page S11
> >

> > In a surgical career that spanned 30 years and thousands of operations,
> > Dr. Harold Hoffman will always be remembered for operating on two
> > little girls named Hira and Nida Jamal.
> >
> > The two-year-old twins from Pakistan, who had been born with their
> > heads joined, had been confined to intensive care at Karachi's National
> > Institute of Child Health where they might have languished if Benazir
> > Bhuto, then prime minister of Pakistan, hadn't intervened. In 1995, Ms.
> > Bhuto committed $100,000 in government funds for a global search for a
> > surgeon willing to take on the challenge of separating them.
> >
> > It was to be Dr. Hoffman's most celebrated case.
> >
> > Dr. Hoffman and his team at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto
> > spent more than 12 hours in the operating room. Dr. James Rutka, who
> > served as Dr. Hoffman's assistant during the operation, remembered it
> > well. "At one critical juncture in the case when a blood vessel which
> > joined the twins had let loose and was bleeding profusely, Harold
> > quickly hooked the vessel with his index finger and clipped it with his
> > other hand," he said in a eulogy to Dr. Hoffman this week. Both twins
> > survived the procedure, which Dr. Rutka said was "miraculous," but Nida
> > suffered a stroke a month later and died.
> >
> > Harold Joseph Hoffman was born in Toronto, the only son of Louis and
> > Goldie Hoffman. His parents, who were both tailors, had emigrated from
> > Poland after the First World War. They opened a dress shop on Bloor
> > Street West and lived with her mother Rachel and their two children,
> > Harold and Lorraine, in a small apartment above their store. Even as a
> > little boy, Dr. Hoffman wanted to be a doctor and his parents, who
> > placed a great value on education, did everything in their power to
> > encourage him.
> >
> > "Their world revolved around him. My grandfather used to tell the story
> > about how he made sure everyone stayed quiet when my father was
> > studying" recalled Dr. Hoffman's second son Andrew, a real-estate
> > developer. Lorraine Hoffman Allan, seven years younger than her
> > brother, also excelled academically. She earned a doctorate in
> > psychology from McMaster University, where she continues to teach.
> >
> > Dr. Hoffman graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in
> > 1956, with a panoply of academic scholarships to his credit. The next
> > year he married JoAnn Shulman and together they had three children,
> > Richard, Andrew and Katie.
> >
> > After completing a residency in neurosurgery under the late Dr. Harry
> [...]
Yes it is, I was one of his top secret research subjects in 1969, and still experiencing the adverse effects of his criminal assault and battery. He was a liar, and child abuser, who had no regard for informed consent when exploiting epileptic children for non-therapeutic brain surgical experimentation.

Click here to read the complete article

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Dr. Harold Hoffman, innovative neurosurgeon