Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 19:21:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: B.J. Thomas, 78, 1960s/70s pop singer
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Sun, 30 May 2021 02:21 UTC

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/29/b-j-thomas-a-man-who-sung-so-many-wonderful-songs-has-died-at-78/

MUSIC News

B.J. Thomas, a man who sung so many wonderful songs, has died at 78

Thomas won 5 Grammy Awards during his career

By JIM HARRINGTON | jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area
News Group

PUBLISHED: May 29, 2021 at 5:26 p.m. | UPDATED: May 29, 2021 at 6:06 p.m.

B.J. Thomas, the multi-Grammy winner best known for the iconic pop song “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head,” died on Saturday at his home in Arlington, Texas, due to complications from stage 4 lung cancer.

He was 78.

“It is with profound sadness we confirm the passing of BJ Thomas,” reads a tweet sent on May 29 from his official Twitter page, @TheBJThomas.

The Oklahoma-born, Texas-raised artist possessed a warm, rich singing voice that charmed millions of listeners during a career that stretches back to the early ’60s.

He was also a versatile vocalist, who earned CMA, Dove and Grammy awards for his work in the pop, gospel and country music genres.

Thomas sung so many wonderful songs during his career, including his famed cover of Hank Williams’ “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry,” “I Just Can’t Help Believing,” “Don’t Worry Baby,” “Whatever Happened To Old Fashioned Love,” “New Looks From An Old Lover” and “Hooked on a Feeling.”

One of Thomas’ career highlights was the absolutely amazing “(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,” which stands tall among the finest country songs released in the ’70s. The tune would win the Grammy Award for best country song in 1976.

Then, of course, there’s the one-in-a-million tune “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head,” the Burt Bacharach/Hal David number that Thomas recorded for the 1969 film “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.” The song went on to win an Academy Award for best original song.

All told, Thomas won five Grammys and sold more than 50 million albums. Those are amazing accomplishments, yet Thomas comes across as quite humble in a quote listed on his website.

“All I am is just another guy,” Thomas is quoted as saying. “I’ve been very lucky. I’ve had a wonderful life, I’ve been a husband and a father who cherishes his children and now I’m a grandfather, and I’m motivated like all these teachers and preachers and mothers and fathers to help my kids grow up with character and self-respect.

“I hope that doesn’t sound too grandiose, but that’s what it comes down to. It’s what I’ve tried to do with my music and with the majority of my life.”

Thomas is survived by his wife of 53 years, Gloria, their three daughters, Paige Thomas, Nora Cloud, and Erin Moore, and four grandchildren, Nadia Cloud, Keira Cloud, Ruby Moore and Billy Joe Moore.

Funeral arrangements are forthcoming, but will remain private.

In lieu of flowers, in-memoriam donations for Mission Arlington, Tarrant Area Food Bank and the SPCA of Texas are being accepted.

Jim Harrington | Pop music writer

Jim Harrington is the pop music critic for the Bay Area News Group. He began writing about the Bay Area music scene in 1992 and became the full-time pop music critic for the organization's Oakland Tribune in 2006. He is a South Bay native and graduate of San Francisco State University.

jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com Follow Jim Harrington jim.bayareanews Follow Jim Harrington @jimthecritic