Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: #45 wants a government shutdown to save his orange ass
From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
 by: Technobarbarian - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:23 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 1:24:01 PM UTC-7, George.Anthony wrote:
> On 9/24/2023 12:47 PM, bfh wrote:
> > Technobarbarian wrote:

> > TB

> >> It's not like the retrumplicans haven't done anything. They have
> >> been grandstanding on the issue with a border bill that has no
> >> chance of passing. As usual they can't find any way to find common
> >> ground with the Democrats, so they just stand by and wring their
> >> hands. Shit, if they compromise it might look like Biden won one.
> >>
> >> "May 11, 2023 House Republicans pushed through a sweeping border
> >> security bill on Thursday that would crack down on unlawful
> >> immigration, blowing past solid Democratic opposition and narrowly
> >> avoiding an embarrassing mutiny within their own ranks on one of
> >> their signature midterm campaign promises.
> >>
> >> Republicans timed approval of the measure, which has no chance in
> >> the Democratic-led Senate, to spotlight their hard-line stance on
> >> immigration just as President Biden is facing a potential border
> >> surge with Thursday night’s expiration of Title 42, the
> >> pandemic-era rule allowing for swift expulsion of migrants.
> >>
> >> The bill would revive and codify a variety of border policies
> >> championed during the Trump administration, including construction
> >> of a border wall, the “Remain in Mexico†practice of keeping
> >> migrants seeking asylum either in detention facilities or on the
> >> opposite side of the border and expedited deportation of
> >> unaccompanied children. It also would mandate that companies verify
> >> their employees are legally eligible to work in the United States
> >> through a program known as E-Verify, and criminalize visa overstays
> >> of more than 10 days.
> >>
> >> The 219-to-213 vote to pass the bill came only after months of
> >> internal Republican feuding capped by a final, marathon round of
> >> haggling this week that highlighted the party’s tenuous hold on
> >> its fractious majority and led to a series of last-minute changes
> >> to win over holdouts. Two Republicans, Representatives Thomas
> >> Massie of Kentucky and John Duarte of California, joined Democrats
> >> in opposing the legislation, citing objections to the E-Verify
> >> requirement.
> >>
> >> The Republican divisions had threatened to muddle a debate the
> >> party had timed for maximum political advantage, in which G.O.P.
> >> lawmakers denounced the Biden administration for rising waves of
> >> migration that are expected to surge further after Title 42
> >> expires."
> >>
> >> "https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/11/us/politics/house-republicans-immigration-bill.html"
> >>
> >> There are at least a couple of things worth noting here. For many
> >> years the majority of our undocumented immigrants are people who
> >> entered the country legally and overstayed their visa.
> >>
> >> The number of undocumented immigrants in this country has been
> >> relatively stable for a long time at around 12 million people.
> >
> > Yeah, right. That's why even Democrat mayors and governors are starting
> > to complain and ask for money?
> >
> > Then there's this:
> [...]

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. Another significant difference between me and the average rort dweeb is that I frequently backup my opinions with facts. It makes the know nothings crazy because all they have to rebut it with is ignorance.

TB

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o #45 wants a government shutdown to save his orange ass

By: Technobarbarian on Thu, 21 Sep 2023

34Technobarbarian