Newsgroups: alt.dreams.castaneda
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 12:46:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: An article by the Defence Secretary on the situation in Ukraine
From: marika5...@gmail.com (marika)
 by: marika - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:46 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 7:40:00 PM UTC-6, slider wrote:
> I have lost count of how many times recently I have to had to explain the
> meaning of the English term “straw man” to my European allies. That is
> because the best living, breathing “straw man” at the moment is the
> Kremlin’s claim to be under threat from NATO. In recent weeks the Russian
> Defence Minister’s comment that the US is “preparing a provocation with
> chemical components in eastern Ukraine” has made that “straw man” even
> bigger.
>
> It is obviously the Kremlin’s desire that we all engage with this bogus
> allegation, instead of challenging the real agenda of the President of the
> Russian Federation. An examination of the facts rapidly puts a match to
> the allegations against NATO.
>
> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/an-article-by-the-defence-secretary-on-the-situation-in-ukraine
>
> First, NATO is, to its core, defensive in nature. At the heart of the
> organisation is Article 5 that obliges all members to come to the aid of a
> fellow member if it is under attack. No ifs and no buts. Mutual
> self-defence is NATO’s cornerstone. This obligation protects us all.
> Allies from as far apart as Turkey and Norway; or as close as Latvia and
> Poland all benefit from the pact and are obliged to respond. It is a truly
> defensive alliance.
>
> Second, former Soviet states have not been expanded ‘into’ by NATO, but
> joined at their own request. The Kremlin attempts to present NATO as a
> Western plot to encroach upon its territory, but in reality the growth in
> Alliance membership is the natural response of those states to its own
> malign activities and threats.
>
> Third, the allegation that NATO is seeking to encircle the Russian
> Federation is without foundation. Only five of the thirty allies neighbour
> Russia, with just 1/16th of its borders abutted by NATO. If the definition
> of being surrounded is 6% of your perimeter being blocked then no doubt
> the brave men who fought at Arnhem or Leningrad in the Second World War
> would have something strong to say about it.
>
> It is not the disposition of NATO forces but the appeal of its values that
> actually threatens the Kremlin. Just as we know that its actions are
> really about what President Putin’s interpretation of history is and his
> unfinished ambitions for Ukraine.
>
> We know that because last summer he published, via the official Government
> website, his own article “On the Historical Unity of Russians and
> Ukrainians”. I urge you to read it, if you have time, because while it is
> comprehensive on his arguments it is short on accuracy and long on
> contradictions.
>
> We should all worry because what flows from the pen of President Putin
> himself is a seven-thousand-word essay that puts ethnonationalism at the
> heart of his ambitions. Not the narrative now being peddled. Not the straw
> man of NATO encroachment. It provides the skewed and selective reasoning
> [...]

I would like for him to do a better job of informing Russia
I already know

mk5000

Memorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite song
Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there's no right answer

source: http://lyricsondemand.com/t/taylorswiftlyrics/redlyrics.html

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o An article by the Defence Secretary on the situation in Ukraine

By: slider on Tue, 18 Jan 2022

5slider