Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 4,6 answers: royal couples and scientists
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:33:23 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:33 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - History - Royal Weddings and Consorts

> With the royal wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton
> """still fresh""" in our minds, here are some questions about
> royal weddings and royal consorts.

> 1. William and Catherine's wedding is only the """latest""" in a
> long history of royal nuptials celebrated at Westminster Abbey.
> The first occurred on 1100-11-11, when this monarch kicked off
> his 35-year reign by marrying Matilda of Scotland. Name the
> English king.

Henry I. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. A royal wedding at Westminster Abbey on 1947-11-20 paired
> Princess Elizabeth of the House of Windsor with Prince Philip.
> Name either the nation whose royal family he belonged to,
> or his royal house there.

Greece or Denmark (both correct), Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-
Glucksburg. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. In a departure from tradition, the royal wedding of Prince
> Charles and Lady Diana Spencer was held where?

St. Paul's Cathedral. (It's much larger than Westminster Abbey.)
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. The 1999 wedding of Prince Edward to Sophia Helen Rhys-Jones
> took place outside of London. Where exactly?

St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

> 5. Despite marrying Queen Victoria in 1840, Prince Albert was not
> offered a peerage by the British parliament. It was not until
> 1857 that he was formally granted the title "Prince Consort".
> Nonetheless, his dynastic name would continue in the royal
> family until 1917, when it was changed to Windsor. By his
> dynastic title, he was the duke of what?

Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

> The remaining questions deal with royal consorts from other nations
> than the UK.

> 6. We've all heard that before her royal marriage, Kate Middleton
> worked as an accessory buyer for the clothing chain Jigsaw.
> But His Royal Highness Prince Daniel, born Daniel Westling,
> was a personal fitness trainer and the owner of a chain of
> gyms before getting hitched with a crown princess in June 2010.
> Of which country?

Sweden. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

The most thematic answer for the round -- it has "wed" in it!

> 7. The daughter of a wealthy industrialist, she met her husband-
> to-be on the tennis court. In 1957, she became the first
> commoner to marry into her nation's royal house in its
> 1,300-year history. """Last year""" she and her imperial
> husband visited Toronto. Name her or her nation.

Empress Michiko, Japan. (She's now empress emerita, as
Emperor Akihito abdicated in 2019.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Blum.

> 8. Princess Maxima was born Maxima Zorreguieta in Buenos Aires
> in 1971, and worked as an investment banker before her wedding
> in 2002 to a crown prince. She is a supporter of gay rights
> and was the first royal to attend an LGBT-rights conference.
> What nation """is""" she princess of?

The Netherlands. (She's now queen, since Prince Willem-Alexander
acceded to the throne in 2013.) 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Even the Borbons are marrying commoners these days. Princess
> Letizia was a respected national news anchor before her 2003
> marriage to a crown prince. Of what country?

Spain. (She, too, is now queen, since Prince Felipe acceded to the
throne in 2014.) 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 10. At the royal wedding of Queen Sirikit, her parents had to sign
> for her because she was not yet 18 years old. """Today""", she is
> the world's longest-serving royal consort. Which nation's
> queen """is""" she?

Thailand. (Still alive, but now a queen mother and not a queen
consort since King Bhumibol died in 2016.) 4 for Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Blum.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Science - Pioneers of Science

> Name these scientists who have advanced knowledge in a field,
> or even created a field, of science.

This was the second-hardest round in the original game, after
the audio round.

> 1. Name the pioneer in forensic science (he lived 1877-1966) who
> became known as the "Sherlock Holmes of France". He formulated
> the basic principle of forensic science, which is now named after
> him: "Every contact leaves a trace". The young Georges Simenon,
> later to become a well-known detective writer, attended some
> of this doctor's lectures in 1919 and 1920.

Edmond Locard.

> 2. Name the American botanist, horticulturist, and pioneer in
> agricultural science (1849-1926) who developed more than
> 800 strains and varieties of plants over his 55-year career.
> His varied creations included the Shasta daisy and the freestone
> peach.

Luther Burbank. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 3. This 16th-century English physician, physicist, and natural
> philosopher is considered to be the first electrical engineer.
> In his 1600 publication "De Magnete", he was the originator of
> the term "electricity".

William Gilbert.

> 4. Name the 19th-century English chemist and physicist who
> established that magnetism could affect rays of light and that
> there was an underlying relationship between the two phenomena.
> His inventions formed the foundation of electric-motor
> technology, and it was largely due to his efforts that
> electricity became viable for use in technology. He also
> invented a predecessor to the Bunsen burner.

Michael Faraday. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 5. William Gray (born 1929) """is""" Emeritus Professor of
> Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University. He and his
> team """are""" noted for issuing a seasonal report every year
> forecasting what?

Hurricanes. (He died in 2016.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. While he did not invent the lever, he gave an explanation of
> the principle involved in his work "On the Equilibrium of
> Planes". He has also been credited with improving the power
> and accuracy of the catapult and with inventing the odometer
> during the First Punic War. Name this ancient mathematician,
> astronomer, and engineer.

Archimedes. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 7. On July 2, 1698, Thomas Savery received a patent for "a new
> invention for raising of water and occasioning motion to all
> sorts of mill work by the impellent force of fire, which will
> be of great use and advantage for draining mines, serving towns
> with water, and for the working of all sorts of mills where they
> have not the benefit of water nor constant winds". He was also
> the first to use the term "horsepower". What was this invention?

Steam engine. "Steam pump" was also acceptable, as it was powering
a pump. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. A medical maverick, this physician (1493-1541) was suspect in
> his day as he challenged the medical establishment's reliance on
> the existing doctrine. Instead he relied on his own experience
> with patients and disease. He is also referred to as the
> "Father of Toxicology". Name him.

Paracelsus (or Philippus von Hohenheim). 4 for Dan Tilque
and Dan Blum.

> 9. Systems of raised writing for the blind existed before Louis
> Braille perfected his own. What was the significant innovation
> that allowed Braille's system to be universally adopted?

Each character is made up of dots in only 6 positions. (The existing
systems used 12 dots or more -- too awkward for a blind person to use
efficiently. I therefore accepted "compactness".) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. Name the Hungarian-born American theoretical physicist
> (1908-2003) known as "the father of the hydrogen bomb".
> He also worked on the Manhattan Project, which developed the
> first atomic bomb.

Edward Teller. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo His Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 32 16 120
Dan Blum 33 16 27 22 98
Dan Tilque 36 20 8 24 88
Pete Gayde 23 39 8 8 78
Erland Sommarskog 38 8 16 0 62
John Gerson 24 0 -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader "When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws."
Toronto, msb@vex.net -- Diane Holt

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 4,6: royal couples and scientists

By: Mark Brader on Sat, 11 Sep 2021

6Mark Brader