Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: CanFame, South Park
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:13:03 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 04:13 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-03-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. A Mitt Romney aide compared his campaign to which children's toy,
> sparking controversy?

Etch-a-Sketch. (Referring to how easily its "history" is erased.)

> 2. What is the two-word nickname of a ground-beef filler that
> US supermarkets are abandoning due to social media pressure?

Pink slime. Dan Blum and Pete got this.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana - Canada's Walk of Fame

> Here are some questions on Canada's Walk of Fame, established in 1998.
> Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, fields celebrated on ours include
> sports, music, dance, and the fine arts.

> In all cases, name the person or group described.

> 1. He was born in Germany in 1944, and as a teenager immigrated
> with his family to Toronto. In 1967, as lead singer, he formed
> a band that was named after a Hermann Hesse novel. This band was
> at the leading edge of the rebellious and psychedelic late 1960s.
> Their first album spawned a major rock anthem and, along with
> their hard-edged rendition of "The Pusher", highlighted the
> sound track of Easy Rider. He was inducted in 2004. Name him.

John Kay. (Steppenwolf. Still alive.) 4 for Joshua and Pete
(the hard way).

> 2. Widely acclaimed as the most influential figure skater of the
> 20th century, he revolutionized men's figure skating.
> Introducing artistry and freedom of movement to performance on
> ice, he took figure skating to new heights and in the process
> broke new ground for generations of male skaters.

(Translation: He skated like a girl.)

> He was inducted in 2003.

Toller Cranston. (He died in 2015.) 4 for Pete.

> 3. Born in Manville, Alberta, in 1919, she grew up in tiny Dauphin,
> Manitoba. During World War II she became known as the
> "Girlfriend to the Canadian Forces" on the CBC radio show
> "Everybody's Program". She began her film career in 1983 and
> acted in several David Lynch films, as well as playing Happy
> Gilmour's grandmother and guest-starring as Mable Choate on
> several "Seinfeld" episodes. She was inducted in 2008 and died
> in 2011.

Frances Bay.

> 4. Born in Toronto in 1955, this standup comedian and TV host got
> his start in 1978 at Yuk Yuk's. There he was billed as "a wild
> and crazy borderline psychotic." His repertoire included placing
> a latex glove over his head and inflating it by blowing through
> his nose, the fingers of the glove extending above his head like
> a cockscomb. In 1982 he started a 6-year run on the TV show
> "St. Elsewhere". He was inducted in 2009.

Howie Mandel. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Born in Montreal during the Great Depression, he was the son of
> Scottish immigrants in a family with two brothers and one sister.
> After a career-shortening injury, he found his place behind
> the bench, where he really could work his magic. He changed
> roles in 1987 by working briefly for the CBC's "Hockey Night
> in Canada" as a hockey analyst before returning to coaching.
> He was inducted in 2003.

Scotty Bowman. (Still alive.)

> 6. Born in London, England, on January 15, 1946, she immigrated
> to Toronto in 1955 with her parents and sister. Beloved as
> one of Canada's best and most versatile ballerinas for more
> than a quarter-century, she """has since proven""" equally
> skilled as a writer, lecturer, director, producer, teacher,
> spokesperson, administrator, and international arts ambassador.
> She was inducted in 2001.

Veronica Tennant. (Still alive.)

> 7. Over the course of a """16-year""" recording career, this
> group """has racked up""" both a singular body of music and an
> impressive array of career accomplishments, including """11"""
> Juno awards and in excess of 6,000,000 records sold worldwide.
> """More than 30""" of their songs have reached Top 10 status
> on Canadian radio. They were inducted in 2002. Name the group.

The Tragically Hip. (Now 16 Junos. The group ended after Gord
Downie died in 2017.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Born in 1972 in Winnipeg, she """has""" represented her country
> at the Olympics in both speed skating and cycling, winning a
> total of 6 medals. She """is""" involved with Right To Play,
> which """is""" an athlete-driven international humanitarian
> organization that uses sports to encourage the development of
> youth in disadvantaged areas. She was inducted in 2010.

Clara Hughes. (Still alive and still true.)

> 9. While the National Gallery of Canada first began collecting his
> work in the 1950s, it was not until exhibitions in Hanover
> (Germany) and London (England) in 1969 and 1970 that he
> began to experience commercial success. Since then, his work
> """has been""" exhibited around the world, and purchased by
> major galleries and private collectors. The """most recent"""
> exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada in 2000 commemorated
> the artist's 80th birthday. He was inducted in 2002.

Alex Colville. (He died in 2013.)

> 10. Her presentation of daily battles, bungles, tears, and smiles
> has endeared her to a loyal following in more than 2,000
> newspapers in Canada, the US, and 23 other countries worldwide.
> Her comic strip """is""" translated into eight other languages.
> 24 books """are currently""" in print, and her work """is"""
> featured on television specials, videocassettes, and calendars.
> She was inducted in 2003.

Lynn Johnston. ("For Better or For Worse". Still alive.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

The strip ran from 1979 until 2008, and then started over from the
beginning, with some revisions in the first two years.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - "South Park"

> Since we have not had a "Simpsons" round this year, we thought it
> was time for another one... *NOT!* Instead we'll do 10 questions
> on another long-running animated show. Answers may repeat.

> 1. Trey Parker """is""" one of the two creators of "South Park";
> who is the other?

Matt Stone. (Still alive. They both are.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 2. Unlike "The Simpsons", "South Park" takes place in a real state,
> which incidentally has a real town named South Park. Which state
> is it?

Colorado. A "park" in this context is a land formation in the
mountains. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. What is the name of the "South Park" musical play on Broadway
> that is coming to Toronto """next year"""?

"The Book of Mormon". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. What is the complete name of the 1999 "South Park" movie which
> was nominated for an Oscar for best original song?

"South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. What are the first names of the two Canadians that """have"""
> their own TV show on "South Park" and fart a lot?

Terrence and Phillip. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. What is Mr. Hankey, an occasional Christmas visitor?

Shit. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. What word was said 162 times in an episode after an FCC ruling
> said it was allowed on the air?

"Shit". 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Of the four main boys on the show, which one is Jewish?

Kyle. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Who was the voice of Chef, a cafeteria worker who was a friend
> of the kids?

Isaac Hayes. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. Who was the celebrity that refused to come out of Stan's closet?

Tom Cruise. 3 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 16 39 55
Pete Gayde 8 16 24
Dan Blum 4 12 16
Dan Tilque 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "If all is not lost,
msb@vex.net then where the heck is it?"

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o RQFTCIFFF12 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanFame, South Park

By: Mark Brader on Mon, 14 Mar 2022

5Mark Brader