From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:56:19 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:56 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-06-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Various Scientific Trivia
>
> 1. Disregarding the temporary symbols used for elements not yet
> confirmed as discovered or synthesized, there """are""" two
> letters of the alphabet that don't appear in any element symbols
> in the periodic table. Name *both*.

Q and J

> 2. What is unique in the human body about the hyoid bone?
>
> 3. If you are exploring an ocean reef at 33 feet (10 m) below the
> surface of the water, how many atmospheres of total pressure
> are you experiencing?

2; 3

> 4. What Canadian is known as the "father of modern medicine"
> and the "father of pathology"?
>
> 5. John Macleod of Canada won the Nobel prize for the discovery
> of what?
>
> 6. Name *either one* of the two scientists who announced the
> discovery of "cold fusion" in 1989.
>
> 7. In what city """is""" Canada's Science and Technology Museum?
>
> 8. To continue having marijuana available for research when it was
> still illegal to use, the Canadian government decided to grow its
> stash in an abandoned mine shaft near a certain Canadian city,
> which became known as the marijuana-growing capital of Canada.
> Then the operation was moved to an undisclosed location when
> more space was needed. Anyway, name the city where the mine was.

Edmonton; Vancouver

> 9. It is sometimes stated (and it was in the original version of
> this question) that Isaac Newton was born the day Galileo died,
> although this is the result of a confusion of calendars and
> conflicting information. But which British theoretical physicist
> and cosmologist actually was born on the 300th anniversary of
> Galileo's death?

Hawking

> 10. Zoologists honored Hugh Hefner by naming Sylvilagus palustris
> hefneri for him. What kind of animal is this?

Rabbit

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge - Trivial Descriptions
>
> For this week's challenge round, either we give a description
> and you name what we are talking about, or you are given a term
> and must describe what it means.
>
> * A. Describing Art and Wax
>
> A1. I make a sculpture out of wax; I cover it tightly with a
> thick layer of clay. I bake the clay in an oven, where
> the wax melts and runs out. I now use the hollow clay as
> a mold for liquid bronze, gold, glass, etc., producing
> a 3-dimensional object that looks like the original wax
> sculpture. What is this technique called?
>
> A2. I coat a metal or glass object with a layer of wax.
> I then scrape away some wax to leave a design on the object.
> I dip it briefly into a bath of strong acid, which eats away
> at the area not covered by wax. After cleaning the wax off,
> I now have a pattern on my original object. What is this
> process called? Gunsmiths have used it for 400 years.
>

> * B. Describing Scientific Terms
>
> B1. A female Komodo dragon that has been living in a zoo
> without contact with other members of her species lays an
> egg which hatches and grows to be another female Komodo.
> Give the term for this asexual reproduction, where
> growth, development, and eventually birth happens without
> fertilization.
>
> B2. On a hot day, your son does not fully close the freezer door.
> Air constantly circulates into the freezer, where the
> rapid temperature drop causes the moisture in the air to
> turn directly into a coating of hoar frost. What is the
> scientific term for matter transformation directly from gas
> to solid without forming a liquid? It is sometimes known as
> sublimation (the same as the reverse transformation directly
> from solid to gas), but we want the other term that refers
> specifically to a transformation *from* gas *to* solid.
>

> * C. Describing Earth-Surface Terminology
>
> C1. If you are a property owner in Northern Ontario, your land
> may or may not be rising in value, but it is likely to be
> rising in elevation, by 4-8 mm a year, due to "isostatic
> rebound". Explain this.
>
> C2. Throughout the Pacific Ring of Fire are found tectonic
> subduction zones. Describe what is happening at a subduction
> zone.

One plate moves under an adjacent plate

> * D. Describing Canadian Historical/Political Phrases
>
> D1. This term was first coined in the 1983 report "Native
> Children and the Child Welfare System". It refers to
> the practice, beginning in the 1960s, of apprehending
> an unusually high percentage of children from aboriginal
> Canadians, usually without prior knowledge or permission of
> their families and bands, and adopting them out to white
> middle-class families. The victims of this practice were
> the subject of numerous news reports, case studies, and
> class-action lawsuits in later years. What is the term?
>
> D2. This term was used by Garth Turner in 2006 in conjunction
> with the evacuation of Canadian citizens from Lebanon, during
> the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. It refers to people who had
> emigrated to Canada, obtained citizenship, and then moved
> permanently back to their original home country, keeping
> their Canadian citizenship as a safety net. Many sources
> had used the term before that time, but Turner was the first
> MP to use it, questioning the $75,000 cost per evacuee
> for people who almost all returned back within a month.
> What is the term?
>

> * E. Describing Internet Memes
>
> E1. You go to an interesting or unusual place, and lie face
> down on the ground. Your hands must both touch the sides of
> your body while lying down. A friend takes a picture of you
> while you are face-planted, and uploads it onto the Internet.
> What is this fad called? It was featured in an episode of
> NBC's "The Office".
>
> E2. You're reading your email, and you open a message from
> a friend who includes a link to check out something cool.
> It actually sends you to a web site such as youtube, for
> the Rick Astley video "Never Gonna Give You Up". Give the
> Internet meme term for what has just happened to you.

Rick rolled

> * F. Tough Descriptions of Sports Rules
>
> F1. The Denver Broncos are approaching the end zone in the last
> minute of the game, trailing by 4 points. The quarterback
> hands the ball off to a running back, who charges forward.
> The running back is hit hard, 10 yards short of the end zone
> and fumbles the ball. It squirts into the end zone, where
> a Bronco receiver lands on it. The ref says no touchdown.
> Explain the specific rule he is thinking of when making
> his decision.

A fumble cannot be advanced by the offensive team in the last 2 minutes
of a half.

> F2. In reaction to numerous instances of what they considered
> "making a travesty of the game", in 1908 Major League
> Baseball instituted rule 7.08i, stating that the bases must
> be run in order. But until then, players would sometimes
> try to steal *backwards* from second base to first. But why
> would anyone want to do this? Okay, it might confuse the
> opponents a bit, and one man, Detroit's Germany Schaefer,
> allegedly just wanted to improve his base-stealing
> statistics. (He remains the last man to successfully
> steal first from second.) But for what other *specific
> tactical reason* did other players sometimes steal first
> base from second?

To force the first baseman to cover first base for any attempted
pick-off throws from the pitcher, thus creating a bigger gap on the
right side of the infield.

Pete Gayde

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

By: Mark Brader on Fri, 29 Jul 2022

6Mark Brader