"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem." -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234

devel / comp.lang.java.programmer / Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

SubjectAuthor
* off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Andreas Leitgeb
+- Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)e.d.pro...@gmail.com
+* Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Daniele Futtorovic
|`* Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)jeffrey_dsi
| `* Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Andreas Leitgeb
|  `- Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Andreas Leitgeb
`* Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Nuno Silva
 `- Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)Andreas Leitgeb

1
off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<slrnuc475o.23l.avl@logic.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10044&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10044

From: avl...@logic.at (Andreas Leitgeb)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:28:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Leitgeb - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:28 UTC

My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.

I've got two machines at hand, both with same version of ubuntu (22.04)
and slrn 1.0.3, and on one of the machines slrn just crashes when entering
this group here, on the other machine (that I'm using right now) every-
thing is fine. (user-config like .slrnrc, .jnewsrc and Score file are
identical on those two machines.)

Of my list of subscribed groups, this here is the only one that crashes
slrn on that other machine. That's why I chose to post it here.

Just looking for others with a similar problem. I have no idea what
makes this group special to one machine but not the other.

I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers. Maybe, someone only follows
this group on google, for that reason...

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<cd6cf341-5e5d-42ad-8e7a-1dd034a4d6ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10046&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10046

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:07:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)
From: e.d.prog...@gmail.com (e.d.pro...@gmail.com)
 by: e.d.pro...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 18:07 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 3:29:10 AM UTC-4, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>
> I've got two machines at hand, both with same version of ubuntu (22.04)
> and slrn 1.0.3, and on one of the machines slrn just crashes when entering
> this group here, on the other machine (that I'm using right now) every-
> thing is fine. (user-config like .slrnrc, .jnewsrc and Score file are
> identical on those two machines.)
>
> Of my list of subscribed groups, this here is the only one that crashes
> slrn on that other machine. That's why I chose to post it here.
>
> Just looking for others with a similar problem. I have no idea what
> makes this group special to one machine but not the other.
>
> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers. Maybe, someone only follows
> this group on google, for that reason...
I assume you mean https://slrn.info/

I used to use a news reader app. I guess a lot of people still do.
I just browse to https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.java.programmer

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<ua080u$27u52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10047&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10047

From: da.futt....@laposte-dot-net.invalid (Daniele Futtorovic)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 13:15:42 +0200
 by: Daniele Futtorovic - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:15 UTC

On 27/07/2023 09:28, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>
> I've got two machines at hand, both with same version of ubuntu (22.04)
> and slrn 1.0.3, and on one of the machines slrn just crashes when entering
> this group here, on the other machine (that I'm using right now) every-
> thing is fine. (user-config like .slrnrc, .jnewsrc and Score file are
> identical on those two machines.)
>
> Of my list of subscribed groups, this here is the only one that crashes
> slrn on that other machine. That's why I chose to post it here.
>
> Just looking for others with a similar problem. I have no idea what
> makes this group special to one machine but not the other.
>
> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers. Maybe, someone only follows
> this group on google, for that reason...

I'm accessing through eternal-september as well, using Thunderbird. No
issues to report.

--
DF

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<ua0jcg$28vq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10048&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10048

From: jeff...@digitalsynergyinc.com (jeffrey_dsi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:29:36 -0700
 by: jeffrey_dsi - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:29 UTC

On 7/28/23 04:15, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
> On 27/07/2023 09:28, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>>
>> I've got two machines at hand, both with same version of ubuntu (22.04)
>> and slrn 1.0.3, and on one of the machines slrn just crashes when
>> entering
>> this group here, on the other machine (that I'm using right now) every-
>> thing is fine.  (user-config like .slrnrc, .jnewsrc and Score file are
>> identical on those two machines.)
>>
>> Of my list of subscribed groups, this here is the only one that crashes
>> slrn on that other machine. That's why I chose to post it here.
>>
>> Just looking for others with a similar problem.  I have no idea what
>> makes this group special to one machine but not the other.
>>
>> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
>> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers.  Maybe, someone only follows
>> this group on google, for that reason...
>
> I'm accessing through eternal-september as well, using Thunderbird. No
> issues to report.

I had problems for a few months with comp.os.vms using eternal-september
and then it cleared up with no change on my side. This group gets so few
messages that it could have been affected too without me noticing.

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<ub1sca$9d4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10049&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10049

From: nunojsi...@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 06:25:46 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 05:25 UTC

On 2023-07-27, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:

> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>
> I've got two machines at hand, both with same version of ubuntu (22.04)
> and slrn 1.0.3, and on one of the machines slrn just crashes when entering
> this group here, on the other machine (that I'm using right now) every-
> thing is fine. (user-config like .slrnrc, .jnewsrc and Score file are
> identical on those two machines.)
>
> Of my list of subscribed groups, this here is the only one that crashes
> slrn on that other machine. That's why I chose to post it here.
>
> Just looking for others with a similar problem. I have no idea what
> makes this group special to one machine but not the other.
>
> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers. Maybe, someone only follows
> this group on google, for that reason...

Have you posted to eternal-september.support about this? Might be worth
a shot.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<slrnudntj8.16kb.avl@logic.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10050&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10050

From: avl...@logic.at (Andreas Leitgeb)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:04:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Leitgeb - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:04 UTC

jeffrey_dsi <jeffrey@digitalsynergyinc.com> wrote:
> On 7/28/23 04:15, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
>> On 27/07/2023 09:28, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>>> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>>> [...]
>>> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
>>> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers.  Maybe, someone only follows
>>> this group on google, for that reason...
>> I'm accessing through eternal-september as well, using Thunderbird. No
>> issues to report.
> I had problems for a few months with comp.os.vms using eternal-september
> and then it cleared up with no change on my side. This group gets so few
> messages that it could have been affected too without me noticing.

Ok, thanks for the shared experiences...

So, we have eternal-september with thunderbird working,
and from my own side, I have slrn both working and not-
working.
And we have a former case of a different newsgroup with
problems...

I'll probably continue to find differences between my
two contrasting machines. And I'll try this other group,
as well, if it reproduces my problem with this group...

For now, I'd close this topic, unless someone happens to
read it later who has slrn-specific experience to share.

Thanks!

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<slrnudntrr.16kb.avl@logic.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10051&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10051

From: avl...@logic.at (Andreas Leitgeb)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:08:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Leitgeb - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:08 UTC

Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-27, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>> My nntp-server is eternal-september, and I use slrn to access it.
>> [...]
>> I'd hope for experiences of others for who this group also crashes slrn
>> or other newsreaders on other nntp-servers. Maybe, someone only follows
>> this group on google, for that reason...
>
> Have you posted to eternal-september.support about this? Might be worth
> a shot.

I'd tend to first collect some more data, and only bother them, if they
look like being the key.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Re: off-topic, but related to this group (and slrn)

<slrnudnujo.vt25.avl@logic.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10052&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#10052

From: avl...@logic.at (Andreas Leitgeb)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:21:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Leitgeb - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:21 UTC

Andreas Leitgeb <avl@logic.at> wrote:
> jeffrey_dsi <jeffrey@digitalsynergyinc.com> wrote:
>> I had problems for a few months with comp.os.vms using eternal-september
>> and then it cleared up with no change on my side. This group gets so few
>> messages that it could have been affected too without me noticing.

It's funny...
After my previous post here I subscribed that group on the
machine where this group here already worked... the vms group
also worked. Then I moved this machine's .jnewsrc (that's the
file where slrn keeps its account of read articles for each group)
to the other machine, and now it no longer crashes there, either.

So, essentially it seems to have cleared itself here, too.