From: mai...@axel-reichert.de (Axel Reichert)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme,gnu.emacs.help
Subject: Evaluation of Guile code with Geiser in GNU Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 17:10:09 +0100
sha1:Xbxe7+eLgjXvB0jsNZllUajb3k4=
 by: Axel Reichert - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:10 UTC

Hello,

I have installed Guile 3.0.8, Geiser 0.10, and Emacs 28.2 (yes, all old,
from a Linux distribution based on Debian-stable). "guile" is in the
OS's path and runs fine from the command line. When running M-x geiser
in Emacs and selecting Guile as the Scheme implementation, a working
REPL buffer comes up. However, when trying C-x C-e on a s-expression in
a Guile buffer (major mode Scheme, minor mode Geiser), nothing happens,
besides the message area echoing the keyboard shortcut. The buffers
*Geiser dbg* and *geiser messages* do not show any new output after C-x
C-e.

C-h k C-x C-e

shows "eval-last-sexp" as the function bound to C-x C-e.

C-h v geiser-guile-binary

shows "guile" as value. So all as expected. I also tried

M-x geiser-eval-last-sexp

but this makes no difference.

Any pointers where to look for the culprit?

Best regards

Axel