From: clt.to.d...@dfgh.net
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Can I anchor a canvas element to the visible screen?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 22 15:28:29 GMT
 by: clt.to.d...@dfgh.net - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:28 UTC

>What is the "transparent color" for the canvas? Could you show the
>-configure line?
>
>R'

The top level manpage mentions setting -background ""

However the result on Slackware Linux with a fvwm window manager is rather weird.

Apparently each time a section of the toplevel is uncovered, it just copies the stuff obscuring the toplevel into its own background. However the toplevel ignores the background when it is moved.
In addition, once some background is copied to the toplevel it stays there until that section of the toplevel is covered and uncovered again.

Looks singularly useless. Perhaps I'm misusing it somehow.

Dave B

Re: Can I anchor a canvas element to the visible screen?

<7cab543c-a064-4d8a-adc3-79fab02d5010n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10185&group=comp.lang.tcl#10185

Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:25:25 -0800 (PST)
From: adrien.p...@gmail.com (APE)
 by: APE - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 02:25 UTC

Le mercredi 16 novembre 2022 à 23:28:13 UTC+8, clt.to...@dfgh.net a écrit :
> >What is the "transparent color" for the canvas? Could you show the
> >-configure line?
> >
> >R'
> The top level manpage mentions setting -background ""
>
> However the result on Slackware Linux with a fvwm window manager is rather weird.
>
> Apparently each time a section of the toplevel is uncovered, it just copies the stuff obscuring the toplevel into its own background. However the toplevel ignores the background when it is moved.
> In addition, once some background is copied to the toplevel it stays there until that section of the toplevel is covered and uncovered again.
>
> Looks singularly useless. Perhaps I'm misusing it somehow.
>
> Dave B

Sorry my answer was not so clear : I meant using the -transparent and -transparentcolor toplevel attributes

The following little script gives an example (I am using a wish console, so toplevel . is created) :

wm attributes . -transparent; # toplevel has transparent attribute
wm attributes . -transparentcolor green; # the"transparent" color is "green" (can be any other color)
wm overrideredirect . 1; # remove decorative frame. Need more to remove borders though
pack [canvas .c -bg green]
..c create line 10 10 100 100 -fill blue -width 10

Now you have a blue line floating on the screen.

Then more work is needed to manage this toplevel when the parent toplevel changes