Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Subject: MinGW - what is the minimum Windows version
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:47:41 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:47 UTC

Are there any MinGW gurus here? If not, where should I look?

I'm experimenting with the MinGW compiler suite. So far I've been
using version 9.2.0, which successfully generates native Windows
executables. However, I'm trying to build the latest version of
OpenSSL and getting a lot of undefined symbols in both the compile
and the link stages. I'd like to try a newer version of MinGW,
but this has problems of its own. I've successfully built and run
a "hello world" program with the latest version of MinGW (13.2.0),
but it's still getting a lot of undefined symbols with a real-world
program. This is on a machine running Windows 11. I have another
machine which runs Windows XP (don't ask), on which 9.2.0 compiles
these programs successfully. When I try running 13.2.0, I get
the message "The system cannot execute the specified program."
Is there a minimum Windows version for MinGW, and is it increasing
with successive versions of MinGW? Or did I just download the wrong
variant of MinGW?

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Life is perverse.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | It can be beautiful -

Re: MinGW - what is the minimum Windows version

<1kxxy7gocdht6.1gu6tcb4ego0o$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10515&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#10515

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: Re: MinGW - what is the minimum Windows version
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:45:33 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:45 UTC

On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:47:41 GMT, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> Are there any MinGW gurus here? If not, where should I look?
>
> I'm experimenting with the MinGW compiler suite. So far I've been
> using version 9.2.0, which successfully generates native Windows
> executables. However, I'm trying to build the latest version of
> OpenSSL and getting a lot of undefined symbols in both the compile
> and the link stages. I'd like to try a newer version of MinGW,
> but this has problems of its own. I've successfully built and run
> a "hello world" program with the latest version of MinGW (13.2.0),
> but it's still getting a lot of undefined symbols with a real-world
> program. This is on a machine running Windows 11. I have another
> machine which runs Windows XP (don't ask), on which 9.2.0 compiles
> these programs successfully. When I try running 13.2.0, I get
> the message "The system cannot execute the specified program."
> Is there a minimum Windows version for MinGW, and is it increasing
> with successive versions of MinGW? Or did I just download the wrong
> variant of MinGW?

It's initially AND is supposed to support all Windows versions including
Win95. Hence the "W" in "MinGW".

"MinGW" is a shorthand for "Minimalist GNU for Windows" (initially was
"Minimalist GNU for W32"). It's not a shorthand for "Minimalist GNU for
Windows 10", or "Minimalist GNU for Windows 7", or "Minimalist GNU for
Windows XP", etc.

I guess MinGW is not susceptible to bloat and ignorance.

Re: MinGW - what is the minimum Windows version

<LILSM.230966$Hih7.178200@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10516&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#10516

Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 03:16:59 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 03:16 UTC

On 2023-09-30, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:47:41 GMT, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>
>> Are there any MinGW gurus here? If not, where should I look?
>>
>> I'm experimenting with the MinGW compiler suite. So far I've been
>> using version 9.2.0, which successfully generates native Windows
>> executables. However, I'm trying to build the latest version of
>> OpenSSL and getting a lot of undefined symbols in both the compile
>> and the link stages. I'd like to try a newer version of MinGW,
>> but this has problems of its own. I've successfully built and run
>> a "hello world" program with the latest version of MinGW (13.2.0),
>> but it's still getting a lot of undefined symbols with a real-world
>> program. This is on a machine running Windows 11. I have another
>> machine which runs Windows XP (don't ask), on which 9.2.0 compiles
>> these programs successfully. When I try running 13.2.0, I get
>> the message "The system cannot execute the specified program."
>> Is there a minimum Windows version for MinGW, and is it increasing
>> with successive versions of MinGW? Or did I just download the wrong
>> variant of MinGW?
>
> It's initially AND is supposed to support all Windows versions including
> Win95. Hence the "W" in "MinGW".
>
> "MinGW" is a shorthand for "Minimalist GNU for Windows" (initially was
> "Minimalist GNU for W32"). It's not a shorthand for "Minimalist GNU for
> Windows 10", or "Minimalist GNU for Windows 7", or "Minimalist GNU for
> Windows XP", etc.
>
> I guess MinGW is not susceptible to bloat and ignorance.

I tried downloading version 11.4.0, and it works just fine under XP.
I'll try working my way up through newer versions to see where the
breakage occurs, and let the MinGW folks know.

Thanks for the help.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | "Some of you may die,
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | but it's a sacrifice