The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -- John Muir

devel / comp.lang.tcl / Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

SubjectAuthor
* Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconAlan Grunwald
+- Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconChristian Gollwitzer
|`- Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconAlan Grunwald
+* Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconRich
|`- Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconLuc
`* Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconDave
 `- Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkconAlan Grunwald

1
Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq6mh2$3b0as$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10555&group=comp.lang.tcl#10555

From: nospam.n...@gmail.com (Alan Grunwald)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:39:46 +0000
 by: Alan Grunwald - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:39 UTC

I've just installed Linux Mint on a second laptop.

I am a long-time user of tkcon, principally because it gives me
command-line recall, which I don't get from pure-and-simple tclsh.

On the old system, with the cursor on the bottom line, positioned
following the "% " prompt, if I press up-arrow, I get the last line
typed which I can edit.

On the new system, it simply moves the cursor up a line.

I wondered whether this was because I was using MATE rather than
cinnamon on the new system, but I've switched to cinnamon and it still
(mis)behaving the same way.

Please can someone suggest what I need to tweak?

Many Thanks,
Alan

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<k2o7loFajthU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10556&group=comp.lang.tcl#10556

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon
Date: 17 Jan 2023 18:28:09 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:28 UTC

In article <tq6mh2$3b0as$1@dont-email.me>,
Alan Grunwald <nospam.nurdglaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've just installed Linux Mint on a second laptop.
>
>I am a long-time user of tkcon, principally because it gives me
>command-line recall, which I don't get from pure-and-simple tclsh.
>
>On the old system, with the cursor on the bottom line, positioned
>following the "% " prompt, if I press up-arrow, I get the last line
>typed which I can edit.
>
>On the new system, it simply moves the cursor up a line.
>
>I wondered whether this was because I was using MATE rather than
>cinnamon on the new system, but I've switched to cinnamon and it still
>(mis)behaving the same way.
>
>Please can someone suggest what I need to tweak?
>
>Many Thanks,
>Alan

Don't know the answer to your question, but I have used tclreadline
in some cases when I wanted a tclsh with history & editing. (Actually
my need was a bit more convoluted than that, but it does give you that).

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq70lj$3ci3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10557&group=comp.lang.tcl#10557

From: aurio...@gmx.de (Christian Gollwitzer)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:32:51 +0100
 by: Christian Gollwitzer - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 20:32 UTC

Am 17.01.23 um 18:39 schrieb Alan Grunwald:
> I've just installed Linux Mint on a second laptop.
>
> I am a long-time user of tkcon, principally because it gives me
> command-line recall, which I don't get from pure-and-simple tclsh.
>
> On the old system, with the cursor on the bottom line, positioned
> following the "% " prompt, if I press up-arrow, I get the last line
> typed which I can edit.
>
> On the new system, it simply moves the cursor up a line.

Hi Alan,
this is a bug that came into existence with newer versions of Tcl. You
should update your version of tkcon.

You can get the patched version from the CVS repo in sourceforge:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tkcon.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tkcon co
-P tkcon

With the tkcon.tcl found there, the issue should be gone. Also another
one, where you get an error when the mouse touches a highlighted error.

Yes, CVS is basically disabled and someone should maybe rescue tkcon and
put it into Github...

Christian

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq7lgf$3g0rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10558&group=comp.lang.tcl#10558

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 02:28:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 02:28 UTC

Alan Grunwald <nospam.nurdglaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just installed Linux Mint on a second laptop.
>
> I am a long-time user of tkcon, principally because it gives me
> command-line recall, which I don't get from pure-and-simple tclsh.

An alternative, since you are on Linux, is to use 'rlwrap' to launch
tclsh. Rlwrap provides 'readline' services to CLI apps that do not
provide it themselves, And it provides command history across
invocations, so you can get past command lines from a prior session if
you like.

It is trivial to use:

rlwrap tclsh

And you have a full readline enabled tclsh.

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq7ode$1oct$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10560&group=comp.lang.tcl#10560

From: nore...@nohost.com (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 21:18:03 -0600
 by: Dave - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 03:18 UTC

Take a look at https://github.com/wjoye/tkcon/releases
It's the most up-to-date version I've been able to find

--
computerjock AT mail DOT com

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq90ai$ua5v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10562&group=comp.lang.tcl#10562

From: nospam.n...@gmail.com (Alan Grunwald)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:39:14 +0000
 by: Alan Grunwald - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:39 UTC

On 17/01/2023 20:32, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
> Am 17.01.23 um 18:39 schrieb Alan Grunwald:
>> I've just installed Linux Mint on a second laptop.
>>
>> I am a long-time user of tkcon, principally because it gives me
>> command-line recall, which I don't get from pure-and-simple tclsh.
>>
>> On the old system, with the cursor on the bottom line, positioned
>> following the "% " prompt, if I press up-arrow, I get the last line
>> typed which I can edit.
>>
>> On the new system, it simply moves the cursor up a line.
>
> Hi Alan,
> this is a bug that came into existence with newer versions of Tcl. You
> should update your version of tkcon.
>
> You can get the patched version from the CVS repo in sourceforge:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tkcon.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tkcon co
> -P tkcon
>
> With the tkcon.tcl found there, the issue should be gone. Also another
> one, where you get an error when the mouse touches a highlighted error.
>
> Yes, CVS is basically disabled and someone should maybe rescue tkcon and
> put it into Github...
>
>     Christian

Thanks Christian, that has done the trick.

I had forgotten that I was no longer seeing 'Error: unknown option
"-under"' on the old system. It's nice to lose them again!

Can we not get tkcon added to Tklib (or Tcllib)?

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<tq90d1$ua5v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10563&group=comp.lang.tcl#10563

From: nospam.n...@gmail.com (Alan Grunwald)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:40:33 +0000
 by: Alan Grunwald - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:40 UTC

On 18/01/2023 03:18, Dave wrote:
> Take a look at https://github.com/wjoye/tkcon/releases
> It's the most up-to-date version I've been able to find

Thanks Dave - That must be where I acquired version 2.7.10 that I see I
had on the old system.

Re: Maybe OT. Changed behaviour of tkcon

<20230118123530.74c23c2a@lud1.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10564&group=comp.lang.tcl#10564

From: no...@no.no (Luc)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:35:30 -0300
 by: Luc - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 15:35 UTC

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 02:28:32 -0000 (UTC), Rich wrote:

> An alternative, since you are on Linux, is to use 'rlwrap' to launch
> tclsh. Rlwrap provides 'readline' services to CLI apps that do not
> provide it themselves, And it provides command history across
> invocations, so you can get past command lines from a prior session if
> you like.
>
> It is trivial to use:
>
> rlwrap tclsh
>
> And you have a full readline enabled tclsh.

rlwrap doesn't give you Tab completion, a customized prompt, history search,
copy and paste, clipboard capture, interpreters, sockets, history
substitution, history save or a cool .tkconrc file with your favorite procs
and overloaded commands.

Even when I stopped coding for some 15 years, I still kept using Tkcon
every day.

Tkcon may be the very best thing ever done with/by/for Tcl.

Do the smart thing. Use Tkcon. :-)

--
Luc