You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.

devel / comp.lang.tcl / Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

SubjectAuthor
* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themenemethi
`* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themenemethi
 +- Improvement proposal regarding the clam themeMark Case
 +* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themeChristian Gollwitzer
 |`* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themeRolf Ade
 | `- Improvement proposal regarding the clam themeHarald Oehlmann
 +- Improvement proposal regarding the clam themeRalf Fassel
 +* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themesaitology9
 |`* Improvement proposal regarding the clam themenemethi
 | `- Improvement proposal regarding the clam themesaitology9
 `- Improvement proposal regarding the clam themenemethi

1
Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tsij8k$t76m$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10743&group=comp.lang.tcl#10743

From: csaba.ne...@t-online.de (nemethi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:30:12 +0100
 by: nemethi - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 12:30 UTC

To all interested in scalability of the widgets in Tk 8.7: I have just
filed a ticket regarding the ttk::checkbutton and ttk::radiobutton
indicators of the clam theme. See

https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/tktview/fecc86e5e0

I would welcome any comments in this newsgroup or on the ticket page.

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba.nemethi@t-online.de

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tskult$ucck$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10750&group=comp.lang.tcl#10750

From: csaba.ne...@t-online.de (nemethi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:57:17 +0100
 by: nemethi - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:57 UTC

Am 15.02.23 um 13:30 schrieb nemethi:
> To all interested in scalability of the widgets in Tk 8.7:  I have just
> filed a ticket regarding the ttk::checkbutton and ttk::radiobutton
> indicators of the clam theme.  See
>
>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/tktview/fecc86e5e0
>
> I would welcome any comments in this newsgroup or on the ticket page.

As mentioned in that ticket, the indicators of the ttk::checkbutton and
ttk::radiobutton widgets of the clam theme don't look really good,
especially on a scaled screen, as shown in the screenshot

https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/03910bf53627cc03

The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing these
indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in the
screenshot

https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b

The new implementation is completed and fully tested. The question is:

*Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *

I would highly appreciate to hear your opinion regarding this subject.
Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

Csaba

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba.nemethi@t-online.de

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<0a908e90-8f9d-4e8b-8a8c-c47b9a253e46n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10752&group=comp.lang.tcl#10752

Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 06:17:14 -0800 (PST)
From: JMarkC...@comcast.net (Mark Case)
 by: Mark Case - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:17 UTC

I've used the Clam theme for years, but have always avoided using its radiobuttons and checkbuttons, because of the reasons stated in Csaba's comments. This is a huge improvement to the theme and I'm hopeful that it will get implemented asap!

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tslf5g$399rg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10753&group=comp.lang.tcl#10753

From: aurio...@gmx.de (Christian Gollwitzer)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 15:38:39 +0100
 by: Christian Gollwitzer - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:38 UTC

Hi Csaba,

Am 16.02.23 um 10:57 schrieb nemethi:
> The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing these
> indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
> professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in the
> screenshot
>
>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b
>
> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question is:
>
> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *

since this is not a change in functionality, but "only" the looks, and
it is a massive improvement especially for high resolution screens, I
would rather consider it as a bugfix, and therefore can and should be
integrated any time soon.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<ygay1ow7fq7.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10756&group=comp.lang.tcl#10756

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:23:28 +0100
 by: Ralf Fassel - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:23 UTC

* nemethi <csaba.nemethi@t-online.de>
| The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing
| these indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
| professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in the
| screenshot
>
| https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b
>
| The new implementation is completed and fully tested. The question is:
>
| *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *

Definitely YES.

R'

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<87a61c30zf.fsf@pointsman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10757&group=comp.lang.tcl#10757

From: rol...@pointsman.de (Rolf Ade)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:55:32 +0100
 by: Rolf Ade - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:55 UTC

Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Csaba,
>
> Am 16.02.23 um 10:57 schrieb nemethi:
>> The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing
>> these indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
>> professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in
>> the screenshot
>>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b
>> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question
>> is:
>> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon?
>> *
>
> since this is not a change in functionality, but "only" the looks, and
> it is a massive improvement especially for high resolution screens, I
> would rather consider it as a bugfix, and therefore can and should be
> integrated any time soon.

+1

> Regards,
>
> Christian

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tsobo1$3m6oj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10759&group=comp.lang.tcl#10759

From: saitolo...@gmail.com (saitology9)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:58:40 -0500
 by: saitology9 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:58 UTC

On 2/16/2023 4:57 AM, nemethi wrote:

> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question is:
>
> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *
>
> I would highly appreciate to hear your opinion regarding this subject.
> Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

Yes, definitely!

How about regular checkbutton and radiobutton widgets? Are they covered
as well?

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tsof8g$105ja$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10760&group=comp.lang.tcl#10760

From: csaba.ne...@t-online.de (nemethi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:58:40 +0100
 by: nemethi - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:58 UTC

Am 17.02.23 um 17:58 schrieb saitology9:
> On 2/16/2023 4:57 AM, nemethi wrote:
>>
>> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question is:
>>
>> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *
>>
>> I would highly appreciate to hear your opinion regarding this subject.
>> Many thanks in advance for your feedback!
>>

> Yes, definitely!
>
> How about regular checkbutton and radiobutton widgets?  Are they covered
> as well?

Yes, in Tk built from trunk the Tk core checkbutton and radiobutton
widgets on both X11 and Windows are scaling-aware too, meaning that they
will be scaled automatically, according to the display's DPI scaling
level. The C code for X11 was joint work by Brian Griffin and myself.

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba.nemethi@t-online.de

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tsoi35$3mt0e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10761&group=comp.lang.tcl#10761

From: saitolo...@gmail.com (saitology9)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:47:00 -0500
 by: saitology9 - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:47 UTC

On 2/17/2023 12:58 PM, nemethi wrote:

> Yes, in Tk built from trunk the Tk core checkbutton and radiobutton
> widgets on both X11 and Windows are scaling-aware too, meaning that they
> will be scaled automatically, according to the display's DPI scaling
> level.  The C code for X11 was joint work by Brian Griffin and myself.

Great! Thank you for all that you do.

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tsvitv$o80r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10774&group=comp.lang.tcl#10774

From: wortka...@yahoo.com (Harald Oehlmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:44:15 +0100
 by: Harald Oehlmann - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:44 UTC

Am 17.02.2023 um 13:55 schrieb Rolf Ade:
> Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi Csaba,
>>
>> Am 16.02.23 um 10:57 schrieb nemethi:
>>> The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing
>>> these indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
>>> professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in
>>> the screenshot
>>>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b
>>> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question
>>> is:
>>> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon?
>>> *
>>
>> since this is not a change in functionality, but "only" the looks, and
>> it is a massive improvement especially for high resolution screens, I
>> would rather consider it as a bugfix, and therefore can and should be
>> integrated any time soon.
>
> +1

+1

Great work !

Harald

Re: Improvement proposal regarding the clam theme

<tt06jt$13vu0$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10775&group=comp.lang.tcl#10775

From: csaba.ne...@t-online.de (nemethi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:20:13 +0100
 by: nemethi - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:20 UTC

Am 16.02.23 um 10:57 schrieb nemethi:
> Am 15.02.23 um 13:30 schrieb nemethi:
>> To all interested in scalability of the widgets in Tk 8.7:  I have
>> just filed a ticket regarding the ttk::checkbutton and
>> ttk::radiobutton indicators of the clam theme.  See
>>
>>      https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/tktview/fecc86e5e0
>>
>> I would welcome any comments in this newsgroup or on the ticket page.
>>

> As mentioned in that ticket, the indicators of the ttk::checkbutton and
> ttk::radiobutton widgets of the clam theme don't look really good,
> especially on a scaled screen, as shown in the screenshot
>
>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/03910bf53627cc03
>
> The ticket proposes to replace the C code responsible for drawing these
> indicators with one using SVG-images, in order to get really
> professional-looking and properly scaling indicators, as shown in the
> screenshot
>
>     https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/artifact/b3e191fe1c300b7b
>
> The new implementation is completed and fully tested.  The question is:
>
> *Should it be incorporated in Tk 8.7b1, which will be released soon? *
>
> I would highly appreciate to hear your opinion regarding this subject.
> Many thanks in advance for your feedback!
>
> Csaba

Many thanks to all who have posted their comments! Motivated by the
positive feedback, I have merged the code into trunk and have closed the
ticket with the resolution "Fixed". Let's hope to see the Tk 8.7b1
release within the next few weeks!

Csaba

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba.nemethi@t-online.de