From: wortka...@yahoo.com (Harald Oehlmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: tablelist: center vertical alignment of multi-line cell data
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:45:01 +0100
 by: Harald Oehlmann - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:45 UTC

Thanks for incredible tablelist!
Please look to the following example:

package require tablelist_tile
pack [tablelist::tablelist .t -columns {2 1 2 2 2 3}]
..t insert end [list A\nB\nC X A\nB\nC\nD\nE]

The result is as follows:

1|2|3
-+-+-

If a text is multi line, it is vertically aligned to the top, like in
column 1 and 3.
If a text is single line, it is vertically aligned in the center, like
in column 2.

May I ask how to vertically align all cells in the center?

So, what I would love to see is:

1|2|3
-+-+-

I am probably blind and dump. I only found the -valign option, but this
is for embedded windows or pictures and worked well.

Any hint appreciated !

Thank you and take care,
Harald

Re: tablelist: center vertical alignment of multi-line cell data

<uplf3f$1apb2$1@tota-refugium.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=12902&group=comp.lang.tcl#12902

From: csaba.ne...@t-online.de (nemethi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:29:19 +0100
 by: nemethi - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:29 UTC

Am 02.02.24 um 18:45 schrieb Harald Oehlmann:
> Thanks for incredible tablelist!
> Please look to the following example:
>
> package require tablelist_tile
> pack [tablelist::tablelist .t -columns {2 1 2 2 2 3}]
> .t insert end [list A\nB\nC X A\nB\nC\nD\nE]
>
> The result is as follows:
>
> 1|2|3
> -+-+-
>  | |D
>  | |E
>
> If a text is multi line, it is vertically aligned to the top, like in
> column 1 and 3.
> If a text is single line, it is vertically aligned in the center, like
> in column 2.
>
> May I ask how to vertically align all cells in the center?
>
> So, what I would love to see is:
>
> 1|2|3
> -+-+-
>  | |A
>  | |E
>
> I am probably blind and dump. I only found the -valign option, but this
> is for embedded windows or pictures and worked well.
>
> Any hint appreciated !
>
> Thank you and take care,
> Harald

Neither blind nor dumb. :-) The message windows that display multi-line
elements are created with "-align top". For this reason, currently
there is no way to get what you would like to see. :-)

Actually, the decision to use "-align top" for the message windows that
display multi-line elements turns out to have been a bad idea. The
default vertical alignment "center" would have the benefit that not only
the single-line cell texts within an item but also the multi-line ones
would appear vertically centered, thus giving rise to a uniform and more
logical look. Inspired by your posting, in the next Tablelist version
these message windows will be created with the default "-align center"
setting.

I have already made the necessary changes, hence I can send you a
preliminary release if you are interested. I am planning to release the
next Tablelist version 7.1 within the next few weeks.

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba.nemethi@t-online.de

Re: tablelist: center vertical alignment of multi-line cell data

<uplqrp$36svm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=12903&group=comp.lang.tcl#12903

From: wortka...@yahoo.com (Harald Oehlmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:50:02 +0100
 by: Harald Oehlmann - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

Am 03.02.2024 um 14:29 schrieb nemethi:
> Am 02.02.24 um 18:45 schrieb Harald Oehlmann:
>> Thanks for incredible tablelist!
>> Please look to the following example:
>>
>> package require tablelist_tile
>> pack [tablelist::tablelist .t -columns {2 1 2 2 2 3}]
>> .t insert end [list A\nB\nC X A\nB\nC\nD\nE]
>>
>> The result is as follows:
>>
>> 1|2|3
>> -+-+-
>>   | |D
>>   | |E
>>
>> If a text is multi line, it is vertically aligned to the top, like in
>> column 1 and 3.
>> If a text is single line, it is vertically aligned in the center, like
>> in column 2.
>>
>> May I ask how to vertically align all cells in the center?
>>
>> So, what I would love to see is:
>>
>> 1|2|3
>> -+-+-
>>   | |A
>>   | |E
>>
>> I am probably blind and dump. I only found the -valign option, but
>> this is for embedded windows or pictures and worked well.
>>
>> Any hint appreciated !
>>
>> Thank you and take care,
>> Harald
>
> Neither blind nor dumb. :-)  The message windows that display multi-line
> elements are created with "-align top".  For this reason, currently
> there is no way to get what you would like to see. :-)
>
> Actually, the decision to use "-align top" for the message windows that
> display multi-line elements turns out to have been a bad idea.  The
> default vertical alignment "center" would have the benefit that not only
> the single-line cell texts within an item but also the multi-line ones
> would appear vertically centered, thus giving rise to a uniform and more
> logical look.  Inspired by your posting, in the next Tablelist version
> these message windows will be created with the default "-align center"
> setting.
>
> I have already made the necessary changes, hence I can send you a
> preliminary release if you are interested.  I am planning to release the
> next Tablelist version 7.1 within the next few weeks.

Top work, Csaba, as usual. I am ready to test a beta, if you like.
My original application has Chinese and English characters, so it really
looks funny.

Thanks again and take care,
Harald