Subject: ReStore - Nested Transaction Not Supported
From: Mark Davis
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 20:50 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 13:50:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: wade2de...@gmail.com (Mark Davis)
View all headers
Hi,
using ReStore with MySQL Server I received a Nested Transaction Not Supported error message. MySQL 5.7.31 has InnoDB tables enabled. Under Access, the transaction commits the Customer object to the database. Is there  an additional feature that must be enabled under MySQL? The object is configured as follows:

Customer
       :
       define: #purchaseHistory as: (OrderedCollection of: Purchase dependent)

Any clues or suggestions are appreciated

Subject: Re: ReStore - Nested Transaction Not Supported
From: john.a...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 07:40 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 00:40:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: john.asp...@gmail.com (john.a...@gmail.com)
Hi,

The 'Nesting of transaction not supported' error occurs when an attempt is made to start a transaction whilst there is already an active transaction. Choice of database shouldn't make any difference in this case.

One explanation is that the commit of an earlier transaction is failing for some reason in MySQL compared to Access, leaving that transaction active. You should always check the result of commitTransaction - this will answer true or false depending on whether the transaction succeeded.

Let me know if this information helps. For reference, could you also confirm which version of Dolphin you're using?

Thanks.

John

From: Mark Davis
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 18:53 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 11:53:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: wade2de...@gmail.com (Mark Davis)
Hi John

I'm currently using Dolphin 6.02 with ReStore 1.2. Further testing has revealed that if I remove the collection objects from the Customer object, the transaction succeeds. Also, if I add one collection object that contains a deafult user, the transaction succeeds (which is a nested transaction). However, when I re-add the purchase collection and the customers initial purchase object, the transaction fails as a whole.

The purchase object is pretty simple with attributes that disclose the purchaseDate, amount, tax, cardType, cardNumber and a description. After a successful deployment under 6.02, the plan is to migrate to Dolphin 7.x and ReStore 2.0; however, the current timeline requires the use of 6.02 and ReStore 1.2.

I will attempt  to run the initial transaction of committing the customer to the database first, followed by a second transaction to add the default user instance; with a final transaction to add the purchase object.  This shouldn't be an issue, but the OS is running under VMware ESXi 6.X on the server. I'll post new information if there are any additional questions or problems.

Best Regards,

Mark

From: Mark Davis
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 21:08 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 14:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: wade2de...@gmail.com (Mark Davis)
John,

is there  a specific version of MySQL needed for ReStore 1.2? If so, what is the designated version that is required. I'm running MySQL 5.7.31. Tried it on a Windows 10 machine and I get the same behavior/errors. It appears this is a configuration issue between ReStore 1.2 and the installed database.. If so, a download link would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

From: Mark Davis
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 03:15 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 20:15:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: wade2de...@gmail.com (Mark Davis)
View all headers
John,

please disregard this issue. After much reading of MySQL docs, I fired up the workbench and turned off the auto commit mode. This seems to have done the trick! Transactions are working and the debug output from ReStore to the transcript shows the sql transactions. After viewing various tables in the workbench, data is being persisted as expected.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

From: john.a...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin