Don't panic.

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: Free Forth Books

SubjectAuthor
* Free Forth BooksAndrew McKewan
+* Re: Free Forth BooksJon Nicoll
|`- Re: Free Forth BooksChuck Jackson
`* Re: Free Forth BooksDerick Chou
 `* Re: Free Forth BooksChuck Jackson
  `* Re: Free Forth BooksAndrew McKewan
   `* Re: Free Forth BooksChuck Jackson
    `* Re: Free Forth BooksAndrew McKewan
     `* Re: Free Forth BooksPhil Koopman
      +- Re: Free Forth Booksdxforth
      `* Re: Free Forth BooksJon Nicoll
       `- Re: Free Forth BooksJon Nicoll

1
Free Forth Books

<7eafb1fa-6d02-4530-8feb-4a8c14fe001en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13954&group=comp.lang.forth#13954

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 04:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Free Forth Books
From: andrew.m...@gmail.com (Andrew McKewan)
 by: Andrew McKewan - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:58 UTC

I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.

Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?

I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).

It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).

Any takers?

Re: Free Forth Books

<7451bb34-0ba7-4df5-9e6e-acea4139566en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13955&group=comp.lang.forth#13955

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 05:49:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Free Forth Books
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (Jon Nicoll)
 by: Jon Nicoll - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:49 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:58:08 PM UTC+1, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.
>
> Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?
>
> I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).
>
> It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).
>
> Any takers?
Hi Andrew
For sentimental reasons, mainly, I am after a copy of Glen Haydon's "All about Forth".

I am in the UK but would probably be happy to pay postage for that ;-). I appreciate
it's a long shot but you never know...

Best Regards, Jon N

Re: Free Forth Books

<e5750ef5-2988-425c-82dd-09fc08da4477n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13956&group=comp.lang.forth#13956

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 06:40:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: chuckjac...@gmail.com (Chuck Jackson)
 by: Chuck Jackson - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:40 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:49:53 AM UTC-5, Jon Nicoll wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:58:08 PM UTC+1, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> > I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.
> >
> > Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?
> >
> > I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).
> >
> > It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).
> >
> > Any takers?
> Hi Andrew
> For sentimental reasons, mainly, I am after a copy of Glen Haydon's "All about Forth".
>
> I am in the UK but would probably be happy to pay postage for that ;-). I appreciate
> it's a long shot but you never know...
>
> Best Regards, Jon N

Hi

I would be interested in Dr. Dobb's and other volumes of the MVP forth series, if you have them. Besides Brodie's books, it would be nice to see a list of the other books.

Thanks

Re: Free Forth Books

<0584884b-d924-49b4-9da1-fe68ef7344a1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13957&group=comp.lang.forth#13957

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 07:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: derick.c...@fluxconn.com (Derick Chou)
 by: Derick Chou - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:39 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:58:08 PM UTC+8, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.
>
> Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?
>
> I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).
>
> It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).
>
> Any takers?

Hello Andrew:

I am currently on my journey learning Forth and come visiting this group.
I'm currently living in Taiwan but my sister is at Vancouver, BC.

It would be great if you can send me one copy each book to my sister.
I'd be happy to pay for the shipping.
Please let me know how to get in touch with you.

My personal e-mail address is: chouchiate@gmail.com

Thank you in advance.

Re: Free Forth Books

<795d259e-9306-438c-ac25-84306d241822n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13960&group=comp.lang.forth#13960

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: chuckjac...@gmail.com (Chuck Jackson)
 by: Chuck Jackson - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:51 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 9:39:23 AM UTC-5, Derick Chou wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:58:08 PM UTC+8, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> > I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.
> >
> > Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?
> >
> > I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).
> >
> > It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).
> >
> > Any takers?
> Hello Andrew:
>
> I am currently on my journey learning Forth and come visiting this group.
> I'm currently living in Taiwan but my sister is at Vancouver, BC.
>
> It would be great if you can send me one copy each book to my sister.
> I'd be happy to pay for the shipping.
> Please let me know how to get in touch with you.
>
> My personal e-mail address is: chouc...@gmail.com
>
> Thank you in advance.
Hello again, Andrew. I would also be interested in UR/FORTH manuals and/or tutorials, if you have those.
Thanks
Chuck

Re: Free Forth Books

<90848570-04a0-427e-b487-6d256fd8c708n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13972&group=comp.lang.forth#13972

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 02:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: andrew.m...@gmail.com (Andrew McKewan)
 by: Andrew McKewan - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:11 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 3:51:31 PM UTC-4, chuck...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 9:39:23 AM UTC-5, Derick Chou wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:58:08 PM UTC+8, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> > > I have two boxes of Forth books that i have not opened in 20 years. They include Forth Dimensions, FORML, Dr. Dobbs, Brodie and others. I can take an inventory if requested.
> > >
> > > Is anyone interested in taking these before I send them to recycling?
> > >
> > > I am in Windsor, Ontario so you have to figure out a way to get them. Currently the US border is closed, but once it re-opens I may be able to bring the books to the US for shipping (at your expense of course).
> > >
> > > It is hard letting go because Forth was a big part of my life and career, but being practical I know I'll never read these again (although it is fun once in a while to open one up and browse).
> > >
> > > Any takers?
> > Hello Andrew:
> >
> > I am currently on my journey learning Forth and come visiting this group.
> > I'm currently living in Taiwan but my sister is at Vancouver, BC.
> >
> > It would be great if you can send me one copy each book to my sister.
> > I'd be happy to pay for the shipping.
> > Please let me know how to get in touch with you.
> >
> > My personal e-mail address is: chouc...@gmail.com
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> Hello again, Andrew. I would also be interested in UR/FORTH manuals and/or tutorials, if you have those.
> Thanks
> Chuck

Here's the list:

Forth Dimensions, vol 1-6 bound sets, vol 7-20 magazines
FORML conference proceedings 1980-1990, 92, 93
Rochester conference proceedings 1981, 82, 84, 86, 88-90
JFAR vol 5 #1,2
Dr. Dobbs Forth Tool Book Vol 2
Dr. Dobbs Forth issues 1982,3,4
Starting Forth
Thinking Forth
Forth Handbook
FIG-Forth installation manual 1980 (!)

Re: Free Forth Books

<81300b5c-df5a-45c5-8c37-7c73d98ffbe5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13975&group=comp.lang.forth#13975

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 08:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: chuckjac...@gmail.com (Chuck Jackson)
 by: Chuck Jackson - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:25 UTC

On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 4:11:43 AM UTC-5, Andrew McKewan wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 3:51:31 PM UTC-4, chuck...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Hello Andrew:
> > >
> > > I am currently on my journey learning Forth and come visiting this group.
> > > I'm currently living in Taiwan but my sister is at Vancouver, BC.
> > >
> > > It would be great if you can send me one copy each book to my sister.
> > > I'd be happy to pay for the shipping.
> > > Please let me know how to get in touch with you.
> > >
> > > My personal e-mail address is: chouc...@gmail.com
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > Hello again, Andrew. I would also be interested in UR/FORTH manuals and/or tutorials, if you have those.
> > Thanks
> > Chuck
> Here's the list:
>
> Forth Dimensions, vol 1-6 bound sets, vol 7-20 magazines
> FORML conference proceedings 1980-1990, 92, 93
> Rochester conference proceedings 1981, 82, 84, 86, 88-90
> JFAR vol 5 #1,2
> Dr. Dobbs Forth Tool Book Vol 2
> Dr. Dobbs Forth issues 1982,3,4
> Starting Forth
> Thinking Forth
> Forth Handbook
> FIG-Forth installation manual 1980 (!)
Hi Andrew
I am interested in the Dr. Dobbs Forth Tool Book Vol 2.
What would it take to have it mailed to Texas?
Thanks
Chuck

Re: Free Forth Books

<b3b6be65-56ae-4402-ab16-536d19cb3518n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13988&group=comp.lang.forth#13988

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 06:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: andrew.m...@gmail.com (Andrew McKewan)
 by: Andrew McKewan - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 13:20 UTC

On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 11:25:48 AM UTC-4, chuck...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 4:11:43 AM UTC-5, Andrew McKewan wrote:

> > > Hello again, Andrew. I would also be interested in UR/FORTH manuals and/or tutorials, if you have those.
> > > Thanks
> > > Chuck
> > Here's the list:
> >
> > Forth Dimensions, vol 1-6 bound sets, vol 7-20 magazines
> > FORML conference proceedings 1980-1990, 92, 93
> > Rochester conference proceedings 1981, 82, 84, 86, 88-90
> > JFAR vol 5 #1,2
> > Dr. Dobbs Forth Tool Book Vol 2
> > Dr. Dobbs Forth issues 1982,3,4
> > Starting Forth
> > Thinking Forth
> > Forth Handbook
> > FIG-Forth installation manual 1980 (!)
> Hi Andrew
> I am interested in the Dr. Dobbs Forth Tool Book Vol 2.
> What would it take to have it mailed to Texas?
> Thanks
> Chuck

Since this isn't the best forum for discussing details, please email me with your interest, andrew dot mckewan at gmail.

Re: Free Forth Books

<cdd89c18-2d0c-4352-a81a-9965323d7199n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15133&group=comp.lang.forth#15133

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 18:38:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: phil.koo...@gmail.com (Phil Koopman)
 by: Phil Koopman - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 01:38 UTC

I found a scanned copy of Glen Haydon's All About Forth 3rd Edition recently.
It's on archive.org here -- enjoy!
https://archive.org/details/haydon90_All_About_Forth_3rd_ed

Re: Free Forth Books

<slvitc$ls8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15134&group=comp.lang.forth#15134

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:09:31 +1100
 by: dxforth - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 03:09 UTC

On 4/11/2021 12:38, Phil Koopman wrote:
> I found a scanned copy of Glen Haydon's All About Forth 3rd Edition recently.
> It's on archive.org here -- enjoy!
> https://archive.org/details/haydon90_All_About_Forth_3rd_ed

Thanks for that. It'll bring back a few memories!

Browsing your other uploads, page 8 of this caught my eye:

https://archive.org/details/26-floating-point/page/8/mode/2up

Perhaps ...

'it wasn't the NaN, It was complexity killed the beast' ?

to borrow a famous line :)

Re: Free Forth Books

<a47d6650-67f5-4ae8-872c-7b731731bf67n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15136&group=comp.lang.forth#15136

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 01:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (Jon Nicoll)
 by: Jon Nicoll - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 08:11 UTC

On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 1:38:41 AM UTC, Phil Koopman wrote:
> I found a scanned copy of Glen Haydon's All About Forth 3rd Edition recently.
> It's on archive.org here -- enjoy!
> https://archive.org/details/haydon90_All_About_Forth_3rd_ed

Wow, thank you very much!

I have had a copy of this book on order from my local library since before
the COVID-19 lockdown in early 2020! I was going to make a scan of it
myself, mainly for nostalgic reasons.

It must be a recent addition to the Internet Archive, I am sure it wasn't there
beforehand.

Thanks again, Jon N

Re: Free Forth Books

<2dc78ce8-9e46-47d3-ab04-f83a63cd0177n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15137&group=comp.lang.forth#15137

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 01:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (Jon Nicoll)
 by: Jon Nicoll - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 08:13 UTC

On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 8:11:51 AM UTC, Jon Nicoll wrote:
> On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 1:38:41 AM UTC, Phil Koopman wrote:
> > I found a scanned copy of Glen Haydon's All About Forth 3rd Edition recently.
> > It's on archive.org here -- enjoy!
> > https://archive.org/details/haydon90_All_About_Forth_3rd_ed
> Wow, thank you very much!
>
> I have had a copy of this book on order from my local library since before
> the COVID-19 lockdown in early 2020! I was going to make a scan of it
> myself, mainly for nostalgic reasons.
>
> It must be a recent addition to the Internet Archive, I am sure it wasn't there
> beforehand.
>
> Thanks again, Jon N

PS: Ah, I see that it was you (Phil) who actually uploaded it, I didn't realise
earlier. Again, thank you