Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: CollapseForth

SubjectAuthor
* Re: CollapseForthdxforth
`* Re: CollapseForthPaul Rubin
 +- Re: CollapseForthdxforth
 `* Re: CollapseForthJon Nicoll
  `- Re: CollapseForthdxforth

1
Re: CollapseForth

<202c6374-b26f-4331-8a4f-c8f379b75963n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14105&group=comp.lang.forth#14105

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: CollapseForth
From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
 by: dxforth - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 02:48 UTC

On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 6:32:17 PM UTC+11, Paul Rubin wrote:
> A now abandoned look into reimplementing CollapseOS in Forth:
>
> https://github.com/hsoft/collapseforth
>
> It's going back to its original and more accessible approach of, uh, Z80
> assembler.
>
> A pity. CollapseOS (https://collapseos.org) is an entertaining idea and
> Forth really does seem like the right vehicle for it.

Missed it first time around (different apocalypse?). News of CollapseOS'
demise appears to have been premature as the second link now states:

"The Collapse OS project is completed! It can be downloaded here."

Welcome to the Apocalypse.

Re: CollapseForth

<871r7c5oxk.fsf@nightsong.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14106&group=comp.lang.forth#14106

From: no.em...@nospam.invalid (Paul Rubin)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 23:41:11 -0700
sha1:wNEXujAIF2oI2zr++Pb1LnZ9mes=
 by: Paul Rubin - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 06:41 UTC

dxforth <dxforth@gmail.com> writes:
> "The Collapse OS project is completed! It can be downloaded here."
> Welcome to the Apocalypse.

Wow, heh. I read about CollapseOS some years ago and it's interesting
to see that it has made more progress now. Its idea was to run on 1980s
personal computers that could be recovered from landfills, but those are
already hard enough to find that most people messing with CollapseOS
appear to be emulating those old systems on current hardware.

I like the enthusiasm that went into the project, but it was a such
strange idea from the get-go.

Re: CollapseForth

<se86pr$19h3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14107&group=comp.lang.forth#14107

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 17:27:54 +1000
 by: dxforth - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 07:27 UTC

On 2/08/2021 16:41, Paul Rubin wrote:
> dxforth <dxforth@gmail.com> writes:
>> "The Collapse OS project is completed! It can be downloaded here."
>> Welcome to the Apocalypse.
>
> Wow, heh. I read about CollapseOS some years ago and it's interesting
> to see that it has made more progress now. Its idea was to run on 1980s
> personal computers that could be recovered from landfills, but those are
> already hard enough to find that most people messing with CollapseOS
> appear to be emulating those old systems on current hardware.
>
> I like the enthusiasm that went into the project, but it was a such
> strange idea from the get-go.

Are preppers ever wrong? :) It's reminded me of 'When Worlds Collide'
which I'll have to watch again ... while I still can.

Re: CollapseForth

<44237731-55a4-4f7e-afe7-f31d8f0138cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14109&group=comp.lang.forth#14109

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 06:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: jonnicol...@googlemail.com (Jon Nicoll)
 by: Jon Nicoll - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 13:51 UTC

On Monday, 2 August 2021 at 07:41:14 UTC+1, Paul Rubin wrote:
> dxforth <dxf...@gmail.com> writes:
> > "The Collapse OS project is completed! It can be downloaded here."
> > Welcome to the Apocalypse.
> Wow, heh. I read about CollapseOS some years ago and it's interesting
> to see that it has made more progress now. Its idea was to run on 1980s
> personal computers that could be recovered from landfills, but those are
> already hard enough to find that most people messing with CollapseOS
> appear to be emulating those old systems on current hardware.
>
> I like the enthusiasm that went into the project, but it was a such
> strange idea from the get-go.

Wasn't one motivation Hugh had for his slide rule project the idea that
slide rules could be used after the Apocalypse, or some such?

(no criticism or otherwise intended, but the CollapsOS rationale
made me think of this)

Re: CollapseForth

<sead9h$1kl1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14110&group=comp.lang.forth#14110

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 13:30:58 +1000
 by: dxforth - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 03:30 UTC

On 2/08/2021 23:51, Jon Nicoll wrote:
> On Monday, 2 August 2021 at 07:41:14 UTC+1, Paul Rubin wrote:
>> dxforth <dxf...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > "The Collapse OS project is completed! It can be downloaded here."
>> > Welcome to the Apocalypse.
>> Wow, heh. I read about CollapseOS some years ago and it's interesting
>> to see that it has made more progress now. Its idea was to run on 1980s
>> personal computers that could be recovered from landfills, but those are
>> already hard enough to find that most people messing with CollapseOS
>> appear to be emulating those old systems on current hardware.
>>
>> I like the enthusiasm that went into the project, but it was a such
>> strange idea from the get-go.
>
> Wasn't one motivation Hugh had for his slide rule project the idea that
> slide rules could be used after the Apocalypse, or some such?
>
> (no criticism or otherwise intended, but the CollapsOS rationale
> made me think of this)

Should have kept my copy of ...

Kaye and Laby, 1968. Four-Figure Mathematical Tables. Longman, Aust.

https://webmaths.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/a-short-history-of-mathematics-teaching-learning-pt-1/

The cover looks more modern than I remembered. Hmm, 1968 - 'The Planet
of the Apes'. If only we'd known then what the future would bring.
Next Stop Willoughby?

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: CollapseForth