Nonsense. Space is blue and birds fly through it. -- Heisenberg

devel / comp.lang.forth / euroforth@forth-ev.de

SubjectAuthor
* euroforth@forth-ev.deAnton Ertl
+* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deHugh Aguilar
|`* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.dedxforth
| `* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deJurgen Pitaske
|  +* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deKerr-Mudd, John
|  |+- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deRon AARON
|  |`* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deHugh Aguilar
|  | +- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deJurgen Pitaske
|  | `- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deJurgen Pitaske
|  `- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.dedxforth
+- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deJurgen Pitaske
+* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deHugh Aguilar
|`- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deHugh Aguilar
`* Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deJurgen Pitaske
 `- Re: euroforth@forth-ev.deHugh Aguilar

1
euroforth@forth-ev.de

<2021Aug26.161649@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14341&group=comp.lang.forth#14341

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: euroforth@forth-ev.de
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:16:49 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:16 UTC

For those of you who have not heard, EuroForth 2021 will be an online
rather than in-person conference and you can read all about that and
register on

https://euro.theforth.net/

(Or, if you don't want to register for EuroForth, you can also follow
some sessions through twitch, and you also find the twitch link through the
link above.)

Because the conference will be online, there will be no printed
proceedings ahead of the conference. You can still send me your paper
before the conference and I will put it online (to allow others to
study it for asking better questions at the conference), and the
deadline for that is September 5 (any time on Earth). The deadline
for the proceedings proper is September 22 (any time on Earth). You
find the call for papers with all these dates and submission
instructions at

http://www.euroforth.org/ef21/cfp.html

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<b968428d-aaf4-482e-909e-17b490f98807n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14356&group=comp.lang.forth#14356

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de
From: hughagui...@gmail.com (Hugh Aguilar)
 by: Hugh Aguilar - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:26 UTC

On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 7:20:46 AM UTC-7, Anton Ertl wrote:
> For those of you who have not heard, EuroForth 2021 will be an online
> rather than in-person conference and you can read all about that and
> register on
>
> https://euro.theforth.net/
>
> (Or, if you don't want to register for EuroForth, you can also follow
> some sessions through twitch, and you also find the twitch link through the
> link above.)
>
> Because the conference will be online, there will be no printed
> proceedings ahead of the conference. You can still send me your paper
> before the conference and I will put it online (to allow others to
> study it for asking better questions at the conference), and the
> deadline for that is September 5 (any time on Earth). The deadline
> for the proceedings proper is September 22 (any time on Earth). You
> find the call for papers with all these dates and submission
> instructions at
>
> http://www.euroforth.org/ef21/cfp.html
>
> - anton

Anton Ertl and Bernd Paysan are afraid of rquotations.
Stephen Pelc is afraid of string stacks.
Stephen Pelc and Anton Ertl are afraid of disambiguifiers.
Peter Knaggs is afraid of linked lists (!).
All of these subjects are now taboo at EuroForth because the Forth-200x committee failed.
What have the Forth-200x committee ever succeeded at?

I don't want to write a EuroForth paper about STRING-STACK.4TH, for example,
because this would require me to provide source-code --- why should I provide
MPE with free source-code? --- I'm not Stephen Pelc's stupid little intern who
works for free. Stephen Pelc is not capable of writing a string-stack, so he should pay
to have a string-stack implemented for VFX, to value-add to VFX (a commercial product).

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<sgf01c$1mo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14357&group=comp.lang.forth#14357

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:47:56 +1000
 by: dxforth - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 03:47 UTC

On 29/08/2021 10:26, Hugh Aguilar wrote:

> I don't want to write a EuroForth paper about STRING-STACK.4TH, for example,
> because this would require me to provide source-code --- why should I provide
> MPE with free source-code?

I did, and had they declined, it wouldn't have taken away anything from
what I consider an accomplishment.

When my idea was still half-baked (took another year to solve), perhaps
they saw enough promise to offer their platform as a test-bed. Perhaps
they felt sorry for the trashing I got on c.l.f. Worst case it would end
up on the heap of forgotten failures. Best case it made a hard task easy
and is there for anyone should they choose to use it or not.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<cb48faa2-7507-4130-920f-71309832bb86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14362&group=comp.lang.forth#14362

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 07:49 UTC

On Sunday, 29 August 2021 at 04:48:01 UTC+1, dxforth wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 10:26, Hugh Aguilar wrote:
> >
> > I don't want to write a EuroForth paper about STRING-STACK.4TH, for example,
> > because this would require me to provide source-code --- why should I provide
> > MPE with free source-code?
> I did, and had they declined, it wouldn't have taken away anything from
> what I consider an accomplishment.
>
> When my idea was still half-baked (took another year to solve), perhaps
> they saw enough promise to offer their platform as a test-bed. Perhaps
> they felt sorry for the trashing I got on c.l.f. Worst case it would end
> up on the heap of forgotten failures. Best case it made a hard task easy
> and is there for anyone should they choose to use it or not.

It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
Has the interest in Forth gone down?

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<20210829102644.e10263d7d6b4c614a5fb1d25@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14364&group=comp.lang.forth#14364

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:26:44 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:26 UTC

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
Jurgen Pitaske <jpitaske@gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
> Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
> Has the interest in Forth gone down?

Too much in-fighting, wheel-reinventing and a 40+ -year old debate about word names.
IMHO.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<sgfkj7$13jd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14365&group=comp.lang.forth#14365

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:38:46 +1000
 by: dxforth - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:38 UTC

On 29/08/2021 17:49, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
> Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
> Has the interest in Forth gone down?

I'm seeing programmers who do C++ for a living taking up forth and asm for
their retrocomputing and gadget hobbies. One person told me their day-to-day
programming is all the better for it. c.l.f. & official sites etc., which
might be called forth's political arm, don't seem to get mentioned.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<sgfs3l$c0v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14366&group=comp.lang.forth#14366

From: clf...@8th-dev.com (Ron AARON)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:47:01 +0300
 by: Ron AARON - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:47 UTC

On 29/08/2021 12:26, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Jurgen Pitaske <jpitaske@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> []
>>
>> It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
>> Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
>> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
>> Has the interest in Forth gone down?
>
> Too much in-fighting, wheel-reinventing and a 40+ -year old debate about word names.
> IMHO.

This.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<a4a85bf8-aca0-4ffd-9ec5-c1c984dab361n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14372&group=comp.lang.forth#14372

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughagui...@gmail.com (Hugh Aguilar)
 by: Hugh Aguilar - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 00:05 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 2:26:45 AM UTC-7, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> []
> >
> > It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
> > Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
> > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
> > Has the interest in Forth gone down?
> Too much in-fighting, wheel-reinventing and a 40+ -year old debate about word names.
> IMHO.

I forgot to mention my <SWITCH that is another thing the Forth-200x committee
is afraid of. I have written a lot of code, and all of it induces fear in the
Forth-200x committee because it shines a spotlight on their incompetence.

I glanced over that post that Juergen provided a link to.
I'm amazed that he would post a link to this thread because it provides
evidence of him lying:

Afterward, Juergen Pintaske wrote to Tom Hart at Testra:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/wydQr643gX0/m/WqBhBksNBwAJ

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:08:59 AM UTC-7, jpit...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hugh Aguilar basically says for years here on clf. that he has basically invented the MFX processor of Testra,
> And the software that basically runs the company TESTRA.
>
> I do not mind if this were true, but I really doubt it,
> as now – over probably 10 or 20 years -
> Not much has been published/ posted by him as far as I have seen;
>
> – rather than these insults and telling other people are liars and worse
> – actually everybody who has a different opinion.
>
> According to his info he gave here,
> he now drives taxis or tractors for a living.
> No reference to any programming.

The problem is not really in-fighting or wheel-reinventing.
The problem is gross dishonesty, typically done to cover up gross incompetence.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<9a1cdef2-a964-474f-9080-2cd514150500n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14487&group=comp.lang.forth#14487

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:31 UTC

On Thursday, 26 August 2021 at 15:20:46 UTC+1, Anton Ertl wrote:
> For those of you who have not heard, EuroForth 2021 will be an online
> rather than in-person conference and you can read all about that and
> register on
>
> https://euro.theforth.net/
>
> (Or, if you don't want to register for EuroForth, you can also follow
> some sessions through twitch, and you also find the twitch link through the
> link above.)
>
> Because the conference will be online, there will be no printed
> proceedings ahead of the conference. You can still send me your paper
> before the conference and I will put it online (to allow others to
> study it for asking better questions at the conference), and the
> deadline for that is September 5 (any time on Earth). The deadline
> for the proceedings proper is September 22 (any time on Earth). You
> find the call for papers with all these dates and submission
> instructions at
>
> http://www.euroforth.org/ef21/cfp.html
>
> - anton
> --
> M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
> comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html
> New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html
> EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

A big THANK YOU to the Euroforth Team for the TEST MEETING where you showed how it all works with the different rooms and the extra meeting points during Euroforth.
Looking forward to listen in to some of the presentations.
https://euro.theforth.net/

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<aec9135d-f7c6-49bb-8e3d-e025198345dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14491&group=comp.lang.forth#14491

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 01:01:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 08:01 UTC

On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 01:05:59 UTC+1, Hugh Aguilar wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 2:26:45 AM UTC-7, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
> > Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > []
> > >
> > > It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
> > > Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
> > > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
> > > Has the interest in Forth gone down?
> > Too much in-fighting, wheel-reinventing and a 40+ -year old debate about word names.
> > IMHO.
> I forgot to mention my <SWITCH that is another thing the Forth-200x committee
> is afraid of. I have written a lot of code, and all of it induces fear in the
> Forth-200x committee because it shines a spotlight on their incompetence.
>
> I glanced over that post that Juergen provided a link to.
> I'm amazed that he would post a link to this thread because it provides
> evidence of him lying:
>
> On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 1:20:19 PM UTC-7, hughag...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 7:31:06 AM UTC-7, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> > > Hugh Aguilar basically says for years here on clf.
> > > that he has basically invented the MFX processor of Testra,
> > > And the software that basically runs the company TESTRA.
> > >
> > > I do not mind if this were true, but I really doubt it,
> > Jurgen Pintaske (or Pitaske, or whatever) has his facts wrong.
> > MFX is not a processor. MFX is a cross-compiler that I wrote.
> > MFX generates code for the MiniForth processor --- it doesn't
> > "run the company" (whatever that might mean).
>
> Afterward, Juergen Pintaske wrote to Tom Hart at Testra:
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/wydQr643gX0/m/WqBhBksNBwAJ
>
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:08:59 AM UTC-7, jpit...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hugh Aguilar basically says for years here on clf. that he has basically invented the MFX processor of Testra,
> > And the software that basically runs the company TESTRA.
> >
> > I do not mind if this were true, but I really doubt it,
> > as now – over probably 10 or 20 years -
> > Not much has been published/ posted by him as far as I have seen;
> >
> > – rather than these insults and telling other people are liars and worse
> > – actually everybody who has a different opinion.
> >
> > According to his info he gave here,
> > he now drives taxis or tractors for a living.
> > No reference to any programming.
>
> The problem is not really in-fighting or wheel-reinventing.
> The problem is gross dishonesty, typically done to cover up gross incompetence.

AMERICA FIRST - so could you please dump your shit in your home country first please.
As usual, you do not contribute or help to build - just like to attack and destroy.

The guys organizing Euroforth are doing a great job.
You are not involved.
It is boring to hear the same stuff from you again and again, year after year
and any Forth meeting can very well live without you, and has until now.

Actually you seem to be clever enough to stay out of any of the zoom meetings
and not to show your face.

You are one of the most successful Forth Killers as stated many years ago.
Unfortunately, here you might have been successful.
So many people have gone elsewhere or gave up posting interesting Forth information
as we have seen over the years.

Regarding your Forth programming?
Well, except for Testra you paint your picture here as a frustrated hobby programmer,
as it seems
customers do not want your offer as programmer.

Well, it seems my post about you and Testra
seems to be one of the most read posts here,
so the information in this post seems to be interesting for the people here..

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<60649696-2efc-4356-b46c-6618e7cc2409n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14492&group=comp.lang.forth#14492

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 01:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 08:25 UTC

On Monday, 30 August 2021 at 01:05:59 UTC+1, Hugh Aguilar wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 2:26:45 AM UTC-7, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
> > Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > []
> > >
> > > It is frightening to see how much the posting in CLF has slowed down over the last 2 years.
> > > Just for the fun of it I went back to see the posts regarding EuroForth 2019
> > > https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/9IHvRJmMn20.
> > > Has the interest in Forth gone down?
> > Too much in-fighting, wheel-reinventing and a 40+ -year old debate about word names.
> > IMHO.
> I forgot to mention my <SWITCH that is another thing the Forth-200x committee
> is afraid of. I have written a lot of code, and all of it induces fear in the
> Forth-200x committee because it shines a spotlight on their incompetence.
>
> I glanced over that post that Juergen provided a link to.
> I'm amazed that he would post a link to this thread because it provides
> evidence of him lying:
>
> On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 1:20:19 PM UTC-7, hughag...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 7:31:06 AM UTC-7, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> > > Hugh Aguilar basically says for years here on clf.
> > > that he has basically invented the MFX processor of Testra,
> > > And the software that basically runs the company TESTRA.
> > >
> > > I do not mind if this were true, but I really doubt it,
> > Jurgen Pintaske (or Pitaske, or whatever) has his facts wrong.
> > MFX is not a processor. MFX is a cross-compiler that I wrote.
> > MFX generates code for the MiniForth processor --- it doesn't
> > "run the company" (whatever that might mean).
>
> Afterward, Juergen Pintaske wrote to Tom Hart at Testra:
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/wydQr643gX0/m/WqBhBksNBwAJ
>
> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:08:59 AM UTC-7, jpit...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hugh Aguilar basically says for years here on clf. that he has basically invented the MFX processor of Testra,
> > And the software that basically runs the company TESTRA.
> >
> > I do not mind if this were true, but I really doubt it,
> > as now – over probably 10 or 20 years -
> > Not much has been published/ posted by him as far as I have seen;
> >
> > – rather than these insults and telling other people are liars and worse
> > – actually everybody who has a different opinion.
> >
> > According to his info he gave here,
> > he now drives taxis or tractors for a living.
> > No reference to any programming.
>
> The problem is not really in-fighting or wheel-reinventing.
> The problem is gross dishonesty, typically done to cover up gross incompetence.

As everybody, who has a different ( and in most cases professionally founded ) opinion from you is a lier for you,
i do not understand why you waste your time with liers here.

My connection to Forth via MPE first and Forth-eV later
lead to my ( unplanned ) Forth Bookshelf,
nothing new really,
but it was fun to do, and it seems some people still like it.
And it forced me to do a little bit of Forth programming.
I see these books as a contribution to the Forth community.

And it was great to meet many of the people during the Euroforth meeting in Bath in person.
or during the Zoom meetings, like Ting;
Brad Rodrigez I met online during the Euroforth Test call last week

For people who do not know the Forth books I published, see

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM

The Fig Forth running on the 1802 seems to be the favourite book this week,
followed by Chucks book
followed by the two eForth on Arduino books that Ting wrote.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<2a666402-312a-44b2-8352-24d631f8c891n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14505&group=comp.lang.forth#14505

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 18:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughagui...@gmail.com (Hugh Aguilar)
 by: Hugh Aguilar - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 01:17 UTC

This is what I said two years ago:

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 6:33:42 AM UTC-7, hughag...@gmail.com wrote:
> If anybody in the real world is going to take EuroForth seriously,
> the following rules need to be made and enforced:
>
> 1.) No paper will be accepted if there is no proof-of-concept
> code accompanying it. If the author is too incompetent to write
> code that works, then his or her paper is not acceptable.
> Vague speculation about what might work does not constitute design.
>
> 2.) No paper will be accepted if it is just an attack piece that
> denounces existing code. This is not a positive contribution.
> EuroForth should be a forum for presenting new designs, not attacking
> other people's designs and code libraries.
>
> At this time, because these rules are not in place, and most papers
> would not be in compliance with these rules, EuroForth lacks
> credibility in the real world. So far, what I have seen is that
> the worst violators of these rules are Forth-200x committee members.
> They are just dumb and mean --- they are not making a positive
> contribution to Forth --- they have a political axe to grind.
> Note that Anton Ertl is the referee for the "academic" papers,
> yet he writes papers himself that grossly violate the above rules.

EuroForth is now an online conference, rather than a live conference.
EuroForth seems to be circling the drain.
EuroForth never adopted the rules I suggested above, and so EuroForth
continues to lack credibility in the real world --- EuroForth, which was always
just a propaganda platform for Forth-200x, is failing and will soon be dead.

I write code such as LIST.4TH ASSOCIATION.4TH STRING-STACK.4TH and
<SWITCH etc., but this code is absolutely banned from EuroForth.
EuroForth accepts Peter Knaggs absurd failure at implementing a linked list.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/cMa8wV3OiY0/m/INBDVBh0BgAJ
A linked-list is very easy to implement. I challenge the entire Forth-200x committee
to put their heads together and attempt this --- post source-code on EuroForth.
This is your last chance to prove your credibility --- EuroForth will likely be dead
by next year --- a linked-list can be the last hurrah for Forth-200x and EuroForth!

Stephen Pelc has failed to even make an attempt at implementing a string-stack,
after saying that anybody can do a better job at this than my STRING-STACK.4TH.
A string-stack is far above what the Forth-200x committee is capable of.
A linked-list is a more realistic goal for the Forth-200x committee to attempt.
Don't let Peter Knaggs get involved or you will just have another failure.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<8910624d-e494-4940-a998-d099ede49b4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14506&group=comp.lang.forth#14506

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 20:28:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughagui...@gmail.com (Hugh Aguilar)
 by: Hugh Aguilar - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 03:28 UTC

This is what I said a few days ago:

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 5:26:10 PM UTC-7, Hugh Aguilar wrote:
> I don't want to write a EuroForth paper about STRING-STACK.4TH, for example,
> because this would require me to provide source-code --- why should I provide
> MPE with free source-code? --- I'm not Stephen Pelc's stupid little intern who
> works for free. Stephen Pelc is not capable of writing a string-stack, so he should pay
> to have a string-stack implemented for VFX, to value-add to VFX (a commercial product).

I really doubt that anybody will ever write a EuroForth paper that provides source-code
(my rule #1 in 2019) for the same reason why I won't do so myself.
Anything of value should be kept out of Stephen Pelc's hands because he will just
include it in VFX which is a commercial product, so the programmer will essentially
be working for MPE for free --- get a little egoboo for having his paper published in
EuroForth, which is worth exactly nothing --- help Stephen Pelc make a profit.

I wrote an MSP430 assembler recently. The documentation is here:
https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=21841
I'm not giving away source-code --- the internet is full of maintenance programmers
lurking on forums hoping to obtain source-code that they can call their own.
On FASM, "revolution" says: "That would make you the pioneer for others to follow."
I said this: "the problem with followers is that they aspire to be leaders, and pretty quickly
with minimal work on their part"
The maintenance programmers want to say:
"Well, Hugh Aguilar was an early pioneer, but real programmers have taken over the project now.
It is a democracy, so everybody involved gets a vote as to the direction of the project,
and everybody involved gets to share in the credit for lifting it from its base beginnings
to its present exulted height."

This is what happened to Menuet. It got stolen by maintenance programmers and renamed
to Kolibri, and the original programmer (Ville) was sidelined.
The same thing happened to Forth with Charles Moore sidelined at ANS-Forth so he got mad
and walked out, but ANS-Forth became the "Standard" anyway and his name was listed as
being a contributor despite the fact that he walked out several years prior to 1994.

No programming-language standard will succeed if the committee is chaired by someone
with commercial interests, because he or she just wants to declare his or her company's
product to be the standard and declare all competitors to be non-standard.
This is very obvious! This is why ANS-Forth and Forth-200x are failures.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<57bd6931-96bf-4b59-9a03-2088505faecan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14619&group=comp.lang.forth#14619

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:20:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpita...@gmail.com (Jurgen Pitaske)
 by: Jurgen Pitaske - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 07:20 UTC

On Thursday, 26 August 2021 at 15:20:46 UTC+1, Anton Ertl wrote:
> For those of you who have not heard, EuroForth 2021 will be an online
> rather than in-person conference and you can read all about that and
> register on
>
> https://euro.theforth.net/
>
> (Or, if you don't want to register for EuroForth, you can also follow
> some sessions through twitch, and you also find the twitch link through the
> link above.)
>
> Because the conference will be online, there will be no printed
> proceedings ahead of the conference. You can still send me your paper
> before the conference and I will put it online (to allow others to
> study it for asking better questions at the conference), and the
> deadline for that is September 5 (any time on Earth). The deadline
> for the proceedings proper is September 22 (any time on Earth). You
> find the call for papers with all these dates and submission
> instructions at
>
> http://www.euroforth.org/ef21/cfp.html
>
> - anton
> --
> M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
> comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html
> New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html
> EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Congratultions to another successful EuroForth.

I spent quite a bit of time listening in to the Standards meeting,
and can appreciate a lot more now the time and effort people invest in their spare time.

The organisation and setup of the event with all of the different rooms
and with twitch was impressive.
I wonder, how long it took to set all of thiese different rooms up.
I actually used them for some discussions.

THUMBS UP and thank you very much to all of you to organize and present.
Looking forward to enjoying some of the videos again soon.

Re: euroforth@forth-ev.de

<4aaa014b-92db-4281-a84f-401265aa9d9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14643&group=comp.lang.forth#14643

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: hughagui...@gmail.com (Hugh Aguilar)
 by: Hugh Aguilar - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:27 UTC

On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 12:20:30 AM UTC-7, jpit...@gmail.com wrote:
> I spent quite a bit of time listening in to the Standards meeting,
> and can appreciate a lot more now the time and effort people invest in their spare time.

My rquotations are more important to the future of Forth than the Forth-200x committee is.
My rquotations support general-purpose data-structures, which are necessary for Forth
to have a future. The Forth-200x committee have failed to implement any
general-purpose data-structures --- this is because Elizabeth Rather hates
general-purpose data-structures, and she appoints the Forth-200x committee members,
so general-purpose data-structures have become absolutely taboo for the Forth-200x committee.

Here is code that is absolutely banned from EuroForth:
\ ******
\ ****** R[ ]R quotations.
\ ****** https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.forth/3LSqmBIZuzY
\ ****** This is highly non-standard! ANS-Forth (section 3.2.3.3.) says:
\ ****** A program shall not access values on the return stack (using R@, R>, 2R@ or 2R>) that it did not place there using >R or 2>R;
\ ****** There is also an enhanced version that is also non-standard because it depends upon HERE pointing into code.
\ ******

\ In the stack-picture comments, RQ is a continuation (a vector to a quotation).

\ HumptyDumpty invented rquotations --- this was very good programming --- I hadn't thought of it.
\ What I call REX0 he called RCALL --- also, he didn't have REX which I invented (this only works in VFX and SwiftForth).
\ If only REX0 is used, rquotations can be used under any ANS-Forth system (theoretically non-standard though).
\ REX is a lot more useful though because the HOF almost always needs to have locals.

\ My improved version for VFX or SwiftForth should be easy to port to other ANS-Forth systems --- any Forth system with locals.
\ Some assembly-language is required, but it is pretty straight forward.

VFX? 0= SwiftForth? 0= and [if] \ this is the generic version (HumptyDumpty's code; not ANS-Forth, but usually works)

\ this was written by HumptyDumpty and works on gForth, SwiftForth and VFX

: rexit ( -- ) RDROP ;
: (r:) ( -- rq ) R@ false ;
: r[ ( -- rq ) postpone (r:) postpone IF ; immediate
: ]r ( -- ) postpone REXIT postpone THEN ; immediate
: rex0 ( rq -- ) >R true ; \ requires the HOF to not have locals

\ REX is not supported in HumptyDumpty's code.

[then]

VFX? [if]
\ This version depends upon HERE pointing into the code. This is not ANS-Forth. This doesn't work under SwiftForth.

code rex ( rq -- ) \ requires the HOF to have locals
push edi \ this is the HOF's LF which won't be used by the quotation
mov edi, 0 [edi] \ this is the parent's LF which will be used by the quotation
mov eax, ebx
mov ebx, 0 [ebp] lea ebp, w [ebp]
call eax
pop edi \ restore HOF's LF
next, end-code

item last-rq \ this should only be used at compile-time

: rexit ( -- ) rdrop ;
: r[ ( -- rq ) postpone ahead here to last-rq ; immediate
: ]r ( -- ) postpone rexit postpone then last-rq lit, ; immediate
: rex0 ( rq -- ) >r ; \ requires the HOF to not have locals

\ The user can use LAST-RQ after an rquotation at compile-time to obtain the RQ (actually an XT) for it.

[then]

SwiftForth? [if]
\ This version depends upon R@ being the return-address. This is not ANS-Forth. This also works under VFX (I originally used this for both).

code rex ( rq -- ) \ requires the HOF to have locals
'LF [u] edx mov
edx push \ this is the HOF's LF which won't be used by the quotation
-4 [edx] eax mov \ this is the old ESP
0 [eax] eax mov \ this is the parent's LF which will be used by the quotation
eax 'LF [u] mov
ebx eax mov [drop]
eax call
'LF [u] pop \ restore HOF's LF
ret end-code

: rexit ( -- ) rdrop ;
: (r:) ( -- rq ) r@ 5 + ; \ 5 is the size of a JMP instruction in 32-bit x86
: r[ ( -- rq ) postpone (r:) postpone ahead ; immediate
: ]r ( -- ) postpone rexit postpone then ; immediate
: rex0 ( rq -- ) >r ; \ requires the HOF to not have locals

\ LAST-RQ is not supported in the SwiftForth version. The RQ is not known at compile-time.

[then]

\ REX0 does the same as EXECUTE in VFX. In SwiftForth, EXECUTE assumes an offset from EDI so it is different.
\ This is also why the version above that assumes HERE ponts to code doesn't work in SwiftForth.

\ It is possible to rewrite REX0 and REX in assembly-language to work under SwiftForth. I didn't bother to do so.
\ SwiftForth is over-complicated in weird ways. Most likely it was a port from an old multi-user Forth by Charles Moore
\ which is why it uses user-variables and this EDI offset, although it is not multi-user so this was meaningless.

\ Note that in HumptyDumpty's prototype, REX0 was completely different from EXECUTE .

\ REX is used in a HOF that has local variables.
\ REX0 is used in a HOF that does not have local variables.
\ REX0 is also used in the parent function itself, when there is no HOF used.