The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

devel / alt.lang.asm / Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell comingskybuck2000
`* Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell comingskybuck2000
 +- Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smellKerr-Mudd, John
 `- Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell comingskybuck2000

1
Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

<8f0b9a71-06e3-4a04-9c2e-4fc66b94124fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=143&group=alt.lang.asm#143

Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 03:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming
from heatsink on north bridge chip ?
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:46 UTC

New hypothesis:

Short version:

"Flaw in the design of the NFORCE4 northbridge chip"
"It cannot handle DUAL PCI Express traffic and will OVERHEAT".

I haven't even checked any specifications about that the fuck a north bridge chip does ! HAHA ! But this is my hypothesis for now people ! =D See below for mooorrreee detective work ! ;) =D

1. I played submarine test of World of Warships from USB

3.0 PCI Express Controller on DreamPC 2006

while at the same time:

2. Also playing submarine test of world of warships from

GT 1030 PCI Express graphics card.

Perhaps the combination of both led to the burn through of

the north bridge chip.

The north bridge chip now has to handle TWO PCI devices

with super high bandwidth ?!?!?

Perhaps this became to much for the north bridge chip

?!?!?!?

Perhaps this also explains why the DUAL 7900 GTX Graphics

Card SLI setup burned THROUGH multiple motherboards !

Perhaps now after 15 years the thruth is coming out and

there was a DESIGN flag in the NFORCE4 chipset and the

north bridge simply cannot handle so much PCI Traffic and

it BURNS THROUGH !!!

Could this be the culprit ! ;)

Skybuck detective is on the case ! ;) =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck ! =D

Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

<8cdc67e4-a12c-4743-85df-6e4aeb4c6f0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=144&group=alt.lang.asm#144

Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
from heatsink on north bridge chip ?
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:10 UTC

NOW AFTER CONSULTING WIKIPEDIA I COME TO THE FOLLOWING CONCLUSION:

OK MY INITIAL SUSPICION SEEMS TO BE CORRECT, EXCEPT I MIS-IDENTIFIED THE CHIP INVOLVED.

IT'S NOT THE NORTHBRIDGE CHIP, THIS CHIP IS NOW INTEGRATED INTO THE CPU ON SOCKET 939 CPUs.

I CONSULTED THE WINFAST MOTHERBOARD MANUAL, IT IDENTIFIES THIS CHIP AS NFORCE4-SLI.

THIS VERY CHIP IS NOW COMPLETELY OVERHEATING AFTER USING IT TO PLAY ON TWO PCI EXPRESS CONTROLLERS: ONE FOR GRAPHICS, ONE FOR USB PORTABLE HARDDISK.

I BELIEVE THIS CHIP IS NOW IN A MELT-DOWN PROCESS, IT FRIED ITSELF TO PIECES.

I CONSIDER THIS HARD PROOF THAT NVIDIA SOLD A CHIP WHICH SIMPLY OVERHEATS DURING SLI-USAGE.

IF THIS CAN BE PROVEN AND THEN NVIDIA SHOULD STILL AFTER 15 YEARS BE TAKING TO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR SELLING OVERHEATING CHIPS, WHICH IT MUST HAVE KNOWN IF IT TESTED IT PROPERLY AND IT SURE DID BECAUSE PLUGGING INTO TWO GRAPHICS CARDS IS NOT THAT HARD, SURELY THE PLAYED SLI-GRAPHICS ENABLED GAMES !!!!!

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO RE-PRODUCE THESE STEPS IS:

1. BUY 7900 GTX GRAPHICS CARDS, I STILL HAVE TWO IN CASE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A LAW SUIT. IN CAN SELL THESE GRAPHICS CARD TO YOU, OR YOU CAN BUY SIMPLY ANY GRAPHICS CARDS FOR PCI EXPRESS.

2. BUY A SOCKET 939-SLI MOTHERBOARD, FOR NOW I HAVE A SPARE ONE LOL, BUT IF YOU CAN FIND ONE AFTER MARKET/RE-SALE THAT MIGHT DO TOO. JUST MAKE SURE IT WAS NEVER USED FOR SLI.

3. THEN PROPERLY TEST THE SLI SETUP ON A MAXING OUT SYSTEM FOR PRO-LONGED PERIOD OF TIME.

4. THEN OBSERVE IF THE NFORCE4-SLI CHIP BURNS ITSELF TO PIECES OR STARTS FRIEING THE MOTHERBOARD AND PRODUCING BAD SMELL.

IF SO:

5. TAPE IT ON VIDEO TAPE, HAVE WITNESSES, AND TAKE NVIDIA TO COURT AND DEMAND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF DAMAGES AND SIMPLY BAD PRODUCT SALES AND MIS ADVERTISING AND SO FORTH, YOU NO THE DRILL....

I DONT LIKE CHEATERS, SELLING OVERHEATING HARDWARE THAT DOESN'T WORK.

EVEN WITH A TINY SHITTY LITTLE FAN INSIDE OF IT, MY BET IS IT WILL FUCKING OVERHEAT, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER, TURBULENCE, DUST BUILD UP OR SIMPLY INSUFFICIENT AIRFLOW FROM TINY LITTLE FAN OR SIMPLY FAN FAILURE TO SPIN UP LOL LIKE IT WAS IN MY CASE LOL.

THIS SHEDS SERIOUS DOUBTS ON NVIDIA HARDWARE. NVIDIA MUST COME CLEAN TO RE-BUILD TRUST.

OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT BE BANNED FROM MY NEXT SUPER DREAMPC BUILD, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

BYE,
SKYBUCK.

Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

<20210614114130.d6ff84cbecf87c34480cc91a@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=145&group=alt.lang.asm#145

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Subject: Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell
coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:41:30 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:41 UTC

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 04:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
skybuck2000 <skybuck2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
[]

> I CONSULTED THE WINFAST MOTHERBOARD MANUAL, IT IDENTIFIES THIS CHIP AS NFORCE4-SLI.

You have a) CAPSLOCK on, b) posted Off-topic; try a hardware group.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell coming from heatsink on north bridge chip ?

<1386bff2-8908-4ec3-b6ed-b5192a6e245cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=148&group=alt.lang.asm#148

Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 04:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
from heatsink on north bridge chip ?
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:51 UTC

I forgot that in the summer, the case ventilators should be either set to medium or max. They were all at low.

I have set them all at max. This seems to solve the burning smell problem somewhat.

It might just be enough airflow to cool down the NFORCE-4-SLI chip.

However it also feels like a airflow conspiracy.

The airflow is now so much that any burning smells is quickly dilluted making it harder to detect.

For now I will go with it.

Also the hardware monitor shows no sensor for the NFORCE-4-SLI chip, how convenient to hide an overheating problem !

Next PC must damn sure have sensors all over the place ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck.