Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 03:07:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT: Cutting off your nose...
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (Jon Nicoll)
 by: Jon Nicoll - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:07 UTC

For reasons unconnected with Forth or this Usenet group, I was musing on the
behaviour sometimes known as 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

I came across this nice alternative way of thinking about it:

"Valuing being right over being effective"

I wonder - is this something you ever trip up on? Why might you choose to
change this? How would you know if you had discretion or 'agency' about this?

Regards, J^n

Re: OT: Cutting off your nose...

<sigo5r$1tjr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14719&group=comp.lang.forth#14719

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: Re: OT: Cutting off your nose...
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:18:36 +1000
 by: dxforth - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 02:18 UTC

On 20/09/2021 20:07, Jon Nicoll wrote:
> For reasons unconnected with Forth or this Usenet group, I was musing on the
> behaviour sometimes known as 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.
>
> I came across this nice alternative way of thinking about it:
>
> "Valuing being right over being effective"
>
> I wonder - is this something you ever trip up on? Why might you choose to
> change this? How would you know if you had discretion or 'agency' about this?

Can you choose to not be right? OTOH attempting to influence is a political
act - the merit and risks of which only you can decide. Moore only ever took
potshots at ANS after leaving. He made no attempt to sink it - something he
couldn't achieve anyway given its following.