From: sidney.r...@gmail.com (Sidney Reilley)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: emacs with gforth
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:33:43 -0600
 by: Sidney Reilley - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 20:33 UTC

How do I use gforth from within emacs?
Looking for something like emacs/slime/common-lisp
TIA ..
--
Sid

Re: emacs with gforth

<2021Oct18.232652@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14979&group=comp.lang.forth#14979

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Subject: Re: emacs with gforth
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:26:52 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:26 UTC

Sidney Reilley <sidney.reilley.ii@gmail.com> writes:
>How do I use gforth from within emacs?

gforth.el is based on forth.el (by Goran Rydqvist) that came with TILE.

The original has quite a bit of support for running a Forth system
inside an emacs window (with the run-forth command), but we have not
used this in the last quarter-century, and the current status of this
feature is unknown; maybe it has bit-rotted, maybe it has been
removed, or maybe it is still working,

What I have used more is to run gforth as a compiler in emacs' compile
mode. This does not work so well with recent development versions of
Gforth, because Gforth now uses escape sequences for changing color
and other appearance issues, but Emacs does not understand them.

In recent years, we have moved in the other direction, the direction
of classic Forth IDE features, where the Forth command line, not the
editor is the hub of the IDE.

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: emacs with gforth

<87r1cic6ta.fsf@nightsong.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14980&group=comp.lang.forth#14980

From: no.em...@nospam.invalid (Paul Rubin)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:21:53 -0700
sha1:ROgDzLuAj4UblIKoqLnyd7LKbO8=
 by: Paul Rubin - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:21 UTC

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
> The original has quite a bit of support for running a Forth system
> inside an emacs window (with the run-forth command), but we have not
> used this in the last quarter-century, and the current status of this
> feature is unknown; maybe it has bit-rotted, maybe it has been
> removed, or maybe it is still working,

Wait, what? I had no idea that run-forth was no longer supported. I
use it all the time. It has a few quirks, but it is usable enough that
I have always wondered how anyone ever got anything done in traditional
Forth environments.

Re: emacs with gforth

<2021Oct19.095143@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14984&group=comp.lang.forth#14984

From: ant...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:51:43 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:51 UTC

Paul Rubin <no.email@nospam.invalid> writes:
>anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
>> The original has quite a bit of support for running a Forth system
>> inside an emacs window (with the run-forth command), but we have not
>> used this in the last quarter-century, and the current status of this
>> feature is unknown; maybe it has bit-rotted, maybe it has been
>> removed, or maybe it is still working,
>
>Wait, what? I had no idea that run-forth was no longer supported. I
>use it all the time. It has a few quirks, but it is usable enough that
>I have always wondered how anyone ever got anything done in traditional
>Forth environments.

Good to know that it's still working, and now that we know somebody is
using it, this increases the motivation for making sure that continues.

What do you find preferanle in run-forth over doing the same thing in
an xterm?

- anton
EuroForth 2021: https://euro.theforth.net/2021

Re: emacs with gforth

<nW2cJ.2540$oo4.1674@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15021&group=comp.lang.forth#15021

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
From: branimir...@icloud.com (Branimir Maksimovic)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:57:55 GMT
 by: Branimir Maksimovic - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:57 UTC

On 2021-10-18, Sidney Reilley <sidney.reilley.ii@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I use gforth from within emacs?
> Looking for something like emacs/slime/common-lisp
> TIA ..
emacs nameoffile

--

7-77-777