The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

devel / comp.lang.forth / Re: The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?

SubjectAuthor
* The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?Wayne morellini
`- Re: The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?Wayne morellini

1
The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?

<1845df73-2829-42c9-a41f-7dc138c7dfcbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16997&group=comp.lang.forth#16997

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 00:58:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?
From: waynemor...@gmail.com (Wayne morellini)
 by: Wayne morellini - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 08:58 UTC

Hi, Jeff did a lot of work with AHA before he passed away, good work knowing Jeff. Who controls the rights to it now?

I have an idea. AHA's code is based on the old misc machine forth, and should be sufficiently close enough to ColorForth to port to it

I'm putting the idea out, of potentially extending ColorForth with AHA, as a sort of virtual machine. As I understand it, there is no real way to write portable code in ColorForth, as standard, that uses common GUI etc. In this, AHA can be mapped to what ever system it uses, and it's windows, can be mapped into MS , Linux etc windows.

It would greatly enhance ColorForth usefulness with a very small footprint, and extra code compiled in if used. The on demand virtual machine function can simply use AHA machine environments for each machine, which is virtually Dos, Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPhone, JavaScript etc, as the only things left. This would allow misc developers to quickly implement something, and also to have a PC side AHA environment to communicate with.

I feel, one of the biggest wastes, is letting stuff like Jeff's code go to waste, and Ting's P series processor designs, including p32, as we still do not have a modern 32 bit misc chip.

I want to pursue my own ideas, but with a few little consumer items, it would be good to have something like that (I'm working on a three button chordic keyboard design proposal, believe it or not, which may just result in a new type of alphabet font, like cuneiform did. It is something I was looking at in more primitive times, and as a way to enter text in game scores on arcade and consoles, but it might be useful for an extremely small retro device). :)

Re: The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?

<5e904bd0-e4ad-4528-80bd-ad3f4f5954fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17098&group=comp.lang.forth#17098

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 10:22:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The rights to Jeff Fox's AHA? ColorForth+AHA VM?
From: waynemor...@gmail.com (Wayne morellini)
 by: Wayne morellini - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:22 UTC

Don't be put off by the rhetoric and badgering of certain individuals. They had to be dealt with to have some positive conversation.

I'm wishing ColorForth and AHA, a better future here together. It means more people and longer existences. I waited for Jeff's machine for many years, and it would be a shame to see his coding talent go to waste.