Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.

devel / comp.lang.forth / Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

SubjectAuthor
* Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiRick C
+* Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiPaul Rubin
|`- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiRick C
+* Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPidxforth
|`* Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiRick C
| +- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiBrian Fox
| +- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiHans Bezemer
| `- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiHans Bezemer
+- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiHans Bezemer
`* Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiMarc Petremann
 `- Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPiBrian Fox

1
Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<daaf650b-a672-48a1-95ff-11a02f6af275n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17252&group=comp.lang.forth#17252

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 04:33 UTC

I somehow got into a conversation in another group about developing code on a target which is located remotely from my office (another part of the house, not through the Internet). I use an rPi next to the target, connected via a USB serial cable. The rPi and my laptop are on the same network through the router.

On the PC I believe I was running either Putty or ExtraPutty using the SSH protocol to give me access to the command line on the rPi. I don't recall for sure what I ran on the rPi, but I think it was minicom.

I think everyone here would understand that the Forth target (Mecrisp) has no file system and the compiler is in the target. That's a hard point to convey to people who aren't familiar with Forth. So to compile, I would have Putty or ExtraPutty dump the contents of the source file to the target. Again, people really get confused about this, thinking I have to transfer files to the rPi and compile there.

I think I have adequately communicated the setup now. However, someone insists that Putty and ExtraPutty have no ability to transfer the file this way, as a dump through what looks to Putty like a serial port. In fact, he is saying this is impossible to do over SSH.

I don't have the setup handy to mess with. I don't even have Putty installed on this PC. I only give up and buy a new PC when the old one dies. lol So the old software gets installed when I need it and I'm not there yet with this application.

So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<87wngverha.fsf@nightsong.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17254&group=comp.lang.forth#17254

From: no.em...@nospam.invalid (Paul Rubin)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 22:04:33 -0700
sha1:8CniBUYsilvKJP6/N6R3w1rb0FY=
 by: Paul Rubin - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 05:04 UTC

Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> writes:
> So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is
> working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?

You're asking a) whether putty has a certain feature. I sort of think
that it does, but it's been ages since I've used it, and I was never a
knowledgeable user.

b) can you dump the file over the serial port from the rpi to the target
board: of course you can. The rpi is a full blown linux box. You can
do all your editing on it and transfer files etc. That's certainly what
I would do.

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<t0palf$o6n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17255&group=comp.lang.forth#17255

From: dxfo...@gmail.com (dxforth)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:10:55 +1100
 by: dxforth - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:10 UTC

On 15/03/2022 15:33, Rick C wrote:

> So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?

Perhaps this may jog some memories

https://youtu.be/aW_Nh6QaNS0

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<585420ec-1275-491b-bf74-994314a9e47cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17256&group=comp.lang.forth#17256

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: the.beez...@gmail.com (Hans Bezemer)
 by: Hans Bezemer - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:50 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 5:33:51 AM UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> I somehow got into a conversation in another group about developing code on a target which is located remotely from my office (another part of the house, not through the Internet). I use an rPi next to the target, connected via a USB serial cable. The rPi and my laptop are on the same network through the router.
>
> On the PC I believe I was running either Putty or ExtraPutty using the SSH protocol to give me access to the command line on the rPi. I don't recall for sure what I ran on the rPi, but I think it was minicom.
>
> I think everyone here would understand that the Forth target (Mecrisp) has no file system and the compiler is in the target. That's a hard point to convey to people who aren't familiar with Forth. So to compile, I would have Putty or ExtraPutty dump the contents of the source file to the target. Again, people really get confused about this, thinking I have to transfer files to the rPi and compile there.
>
> I think I have adequately communicated the setup now. However, someone insists that Putty and ExtraPutty have no ability to transfer the file this way, as a dump through what looks to Putty like a serial port. In fact, he is saying this is impossible to do over SSH.
>
> I don't have the setup handy to mess with. I don't even have Putty installed on this PC. I only give up and buy a new PC when the old one dies. lol So the old software gets installed when I need it and I'm not there yet with this application.
>
> So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?
>
> --
>
> Rick C.
>
> - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
> - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Geez, the vanilla rpi is just a Linux machine! Try 'scp' or 'WinSCP'. And stop using a consumer OS and try a real one.

Hans Bezemer

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<a177123b-123d-4438-a2c8-5c8443d73a09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17257&group=comp.lang.forth#17257

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:59 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:04:35 AM UTC-4, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> writes:
> > So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is
> > working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?
> You're asking a) whether putty has a certain feature. I sort of think
> that it does, but it's been ages since I've used it, and I was never a
> knowledgeable user.
>
> b) can you dump the file over the serial port from the rpi to the target
> board: of course you can. The rpi is a full blown linux box. You can
> do all your editing on it and transfer files etc. That's certainly what
> I would do.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain this in such detail here. To do what you are talking about would require duplication of effort. I do my work on a PC. I have zero reason to change that. This may be difficult for some people to accept, but I will change to using Linux only when I feel like it. There is nothing about this project that needs me to change the way I am working. I've done this before and it worked very well.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm just asking about Putty. Thanks.

Ditto to Hans.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<db773f04-28bd-4842-8cd0-c14212987179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17259&group=comp.lang.forth#17259

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 00:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 07:04 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 2:10:59 AM UTC-4, dxforth wrote:
> On 15/03/2022 15:33, Rick C wrote:
> >
> > So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?
> >
> Perhaps this may jog some memories
>
> https://youtu.be/aW_Nh6QaNS0

Thanks for the video, but that aspect of the task is very clear. I'm asking specifically about Putty. It's just because there is one... I don't want to call him an imbecile... so I'll call him a less informed individual. He does this a lot. He takes a position that he doesn't really have knowledge about and insists he is right. I may be opinionated, but I know the difference between having an opinion and knowing what I'm talking about.

I was hoping someone here would know. Back in the day there were many very useful terminal programs. They seem to have mostly disappeared. Putty seems to work ok, but I want to say the controls were a bit complex. But having SSH was invaluable. The old terminal emulators didn't do that.

Whatever. In a week or so I'll get back to this, will install Putty and find out myself.

Thanks,

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<c456a92d-cbc7-46d7-9791-0fab18cc6e1fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17274&group=comp.lang.forth#17274

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 07:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: brian....@brianfox.ca (Brian Fox)
 by: Brian Fox - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 14:46 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 3:04:38 AM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

> I was hoping someone here would know. Back in the day there were many very useful terminal programs. They seem to have mostly disappeared. Putty seems to work ok, but I want to say the controls were a bit complex. But having SSH was invaluable. The old terminal emulators didn't do that.
>
> Whatever. In a week or so I'll get back to this, will install Putty and find out myself.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Rick C.
>
> -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
> -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
I stopped using Putty for Forth and switched to Tera Term when I couldn't find a way to send text files.

However apparently there is something called PLINK which lets you send files with PUTTY

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30826002/is-it-possible-to-send-the-content-of-text-file-over-putty-over-a-serial-port

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<509d8ac4-12ab-4167-be25-960ae859497dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17275&group=comp.lang.forth#17275

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: the.beez...@gmail.com (Hans Bezemer)
 by: Hans Bezemer - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:39 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 8:04:38 AM UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the video, but that aspect of the task is very clear. I'm asking specifically about Putty. It's just because there is one... I don't want to call him an imbecile... so I'll call him a less informed individual. He does this a lot. He takes a position that he doesn't really have knowledge about and insists he is right. I may be opinionated, but I know the difference between having an opinion and knowing what I'm talking about.
>
> I was hoping someone here would know. Back in the day there were many very useful terminal programs. They seem to have mostly disappeared. Putty seems to work ok, but I want to say the controls were a bit complex. But having SSH was invaluable. The old terminal emulators didn't do that.

TL;DR - PuTTY is an SSH client. SCP is nothing but "copy over SSH". Surprise - that's the same thing WinSCP does. Obviously, PuTTY has a command line version for SCP, which is called PSCP.EXE. Ok, it doesn't have a GUI, but if you want something like PSCP, but with a GUI, you'll need WinSCP.

Oh dear..

Hans Bezemer

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<d5c6fd43-688d-42f9-813b-b636eb37fec3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17277&group=comp.lang.forth#17277

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:06:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: the.beez...@gmail.com (Hans Bezemer)
 by: Hans Bezemer - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 16:06 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 8:04:38 AM UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> Whatever. In a week or so I'll get back to this, will install Putty and find out myself.
However, if you're using a serial line, you'd better use another terminal emulator. PuTTY would not be my first choice in that case. What you need on the other side is something like XMODEM, ZMODEM or YMODEM:
https://www.menie.org/georges/embedded/xmodem.html

This may be easier to get on the rPi, though..
sudo apt-get install lrzsz

(Or from source):
tar -zxf lrzsz-0.12.20.tar.gz
cd lrzsz-0.12.20/
../configure
make

In PuTTY there is something like PLINK, but it doesn't seem to be the easiest tool to do simple transfers. Anyways, I can't recommend any terminal emulators on Windows. The last time I used a true serial line was either with my Wyse 25 or back in the DOS days using Telix.

Hans Bezemer

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<169f3ab1-dd2d-4acc-b127-755d78ce8bcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17537&group=comp.lang.forth#17537

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 04:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: mpetrema...@gmail.com (Marc Petremann)
 by: Marc Petremann - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:01 UTC

Hello,
The alternative I successfully use for FlashForth and ESP32Forth is called myFFshell....
Link: https://esp32.arduino-forth.com/article/installation_myFFshell
myFFshell works on Windows:
- accept nested files thanks to the include directive
- do not pass comment lines
Best regards

Le mardi 15 mars 2022 à 05:33:51 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com a écrit :
> I somehow got into a conversation in another group about developing code on a target which is located remotely from my office (another part of the house, not through the Internet). I use an rPi next to the target, connected via a USB serial cable. The rPi and my laptop are on the same network through the router.
>
> On the PC I believe I was running either Putty or ExtraPutty using the SSH protocol to give me access to the command line on the rPi. I don't recall for sure what I ran on the rPi, but I think it was minicom.
>
> I think everyone here would understand that the Forth target (Mecrisp) has no file system and the compiler is in the target. That's a hard point to convey to people who aren't familiar with Forth. So to compile, I would have Putty or ExtraPutty dump the contents of the source file to the target. Again, people really get confused about this, thinking I have to transfer files to the rPi and compile there.
>
> I think I have adequately communicated the setup now. However, someone insists that Putty and ExtraPutty have no ability to transfer the file this way, as a dump through what looks to Putty like a serial port. In fact, he is saying this is impossible to do over SSH.
>
> I don't have the setup handy to mess with. I don't even have Putty installed on this PC. I only give up and buy a new PC when the old one dies. lol So the old software gets installed when I need it and I'm not there yet with this application.
>
> So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?
>
> --
>
> Rick C.
>
> - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
> - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

<b7dee7f1-2a1c-4b4d-8692-48dc6b444909n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17544&group=comp.lang.forth#17544

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: brian....@brianfox.ca (Brian Fox)
 by: Brian Fox - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:16 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 7:01:21 AM UTC-4, mpetre...@gmail.com wrote:

Oh I like the sound of myFFshell.
I wrote something like this 30 years on DOS for development on MaxForth boards.

Merci beaucoup.