panic: can't find /

devel / comp.lang.c / Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups

SubjectAuthor
* comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsJames Harris
+* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsJohn Bode
|`* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsJames Harris
| `* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMalcolm McLean
|  `- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsJames Harris
`* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (Thunderbirdolcott
 +* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsJames Harris
 |+- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsSam
 |`- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsChris M. Thomasson
 +* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdAlf P. Steinbach
> [...]
 |    |  `* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdMrSpud 0wmge0me
 |    |   +* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdScott Lurndal
 |    |   |`* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdMrSpud 6q
 |    |   | `* Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThKenny McCormack
 |    |   |  +- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsManfred
 |    |   |  +* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsLew Pitcher
 |    |   |  |`* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud 0zkkxn6jj
 |    |   |  | +* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsScott Lurndal
 |    |   |  | |`- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud 6wa4
 |    |   |  | `* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsLew Pitcher
 |    |   |  |  +- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMalcolm McLean
 |    |   |  |  `* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud 8nnwe
 |    |   |  |   `* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsLew Pitcher
 |    |   |  |    `* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud Ccq3 3 r
 |    |   |  |     +* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsLew Pitcher
 |    |   |  |     |`* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud 2fxg
 |    |   |  |     | +* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsChris M. Thomasson
 |    |   |  |     | |`- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud X19y3su
 |    |   |  |     | `* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsLew Pitcher
 |    |   |  |     |  `- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsMrSpud K o53g2z
 |    |   |  |     `- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsManfred
 |    |   |  +* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsKaz Kylheku
 |    |   |  |`* Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsKenny McCormack
 |    |   |  | `- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google GroupsChristian Gollwitzer
 |    |   |  +- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to freeEli the Bearded
 |    |   |  `- Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to freeMrSpud Cyt
 |    |   +- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to freeAnton Shepelev
 |    |   +- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdDFS
 |    |   `- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (Thunderbirdsteve
 |    `- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdJames Kuyper
 `* Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (ThunderbirdReal Troll
  `- Re: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups Switch to free (Thunderbirdolcott

Pages:123
Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups

<sd3b2b$1eqq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17546&group=comp.lang.c#17546

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 00:53:47 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 07:53 UTC

On 7/19/2021 12:50 AM, MrSpud_2fxg@cligh74ct.info wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:30:12 -0000 (UTC)
> Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:04:16 +0000, MrSpud_Ccq3_3_r wrote:
>>> I should imagine most display managers are little more than a window that
>>> accepts password credentials which does credential checking and if ok simply
>>> exec's the required WM or enviroment.
>>
>> Not really. To satisfy a purely local login, you need a minimum of two input
>> edit fields: a Username that echoes typed characters and a password that
>> doesn't.
>> If you add XDMCP into the mix (which I intend to do), you need an additional
>> field that allows you to pick the host to connect to from a list of eligible
>> hostnames. These three fields may require just one window, but more likely
>> require more. In my experimentation, I have 7 windows just to handle this
>> (a window for the Hostname, a window for the ScrollUp button, a window for
>> the ScrollDown button, a window to frame the ScrollUp/Hostname/ScrollDown
>> set, a window for the Username, a window for the Password, and a window to
>> frame the whole set).
>>
>> Add to this a window for a localtime clock, a window for a terminal
>> identification,
>> and a window for a DM identifier, and all the miscellaneous windows
>> needed to frame these presentation windows, and you have quite a number
>> of windows to manage.
>>
>> Then, of course, there's the actual activities that the windows themselves
>> present. I have a clock, so I must format and present the time and date.
>> I have two text inputs, so I must write text editing code. I have a scrollable
>> selection window, so I must write logic to update the selection, and to handle
>> the ScrollUp and ScrollDown buttons.
>
> You can obviously add as many bells and whistles as you like, but ultimately
> all you need for a basic login system is username and password - 1 window,
> 2 textboxes. For the other stuff you don't need a drop down, you could just
> have them pre-listed which can then be clicked on, much simpler.
[...]

Humm...

https://secure.login.gov/

;^)

Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups

<sd3cc7$4be$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17547&group=comp.lang.c#17547

From: MrSpud_X...@nl5uzoqa76.info
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:16:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpud_X...@nl5uzoqa76.info - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 08:16 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 00:53:47 -0700
"Chris M. Thomasson" <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 7/19/2021 12:50 AM, MrSpud_2fxg@cligh74ct.info wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:30:12 -0000 (UTC)
>simply
>>>
>>> Not really. To satisfy a purely local login, you need a minimum of two input
>
>>> edit fields: a Username that echoes typed characters and a password that
>>> doesn't.
>>> If you add XDMCP into the mix (which I intend to do), you need an additional
>
>>> field that allows you to pick the host to connect to from a list of eligible
>
>>> hostnames. These three fields may require just one window, but more likely
>>> require more. In my experimentation, I have 7 windows just to handle this
>>> (a window for the Hostname, a window for the ScrollUp button, a window for
>>> the ScrollDown button, a window to frame the ScrollUp/Hostname/ScrollDown
>>> set, a window for the Username, a window for the Password, and a window to
>>> frame the whole set).
>>>
>>> Add to this a window for a localtime clock, a window for a terminal
>>> identification,
>>> and a window for a DM identifier, and all the miscellaneous windows
>>> needed to frame these presentation windows, and you have quite a number
>>> of windows to manage.
>>>
>>> Then, of course, there's the actual activities that the windows themselves
>>> present. I have a clock, so I must format and present the time and date.
>>> I have two text inputs, so I must write text editing code. I have a
>scrollable
>>> selection window, so I must write logic to update the selection, and to
>handle
>>> the ScrollUp and ScrollDown buttons.
>>
>> You can obviously add as many bells and whistles as you like, but ultimately
>> all you need for a basic login system is username and password - 1 window,
>> 2 textboxes. For the other stuff you don't need a drop down, you could just
>> have them pre-listed which can then be clicked on, much simpler.
>[...]
>
>Humm...
>
>https://secure.login.gov/

Have a look at the MacOS login screen. 2 textboxs, nothing else (for normal
use), not even a window, just a background picture and a few buttons down
the bottom for reboot etc.

Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups

<sd458b$s6q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17550&group=comp.lang.c#17550

From: lew.pitc...@digitalfreehold.ca (Lew Pitcher)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:20:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew Pitcher - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:20 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 07:50:50 +0000, MrSpud_2fxg wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:30:12 -0000 (UTC)
> Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
>>On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 15:04:16 +0000, MrSpud_Ccq3_3_r wrote:
>>> I should imagine most display managers are little more than a window that
>>> accepts password credentials which does credential checking and if ok simply
>>> exec's the required WM or enviroment.
>>
>>Not really. To satisfy a purely local login, you need a minimum of two input
>>edit fields: a Username that echoes typed characters and a password that
>>doesn't.
>>If you add XDMCP into the mix (which I intend to do), you need an additional
>>field that allows you to pick the host to connect to from a list of eligible
>>hostnames. These three fields may require just one window, but more likely
>>require more. In my experimentation, I have 7 windows just to handle this
>>(a window for the Hostname, a window for the ScrollUp button, a window for
>>the ScrollDown button, a window to frame the ScrollUp/Hostname/ScrollDown
>>set, a window for the Username, a window for the Password, and a window to
>>frame the whole set).
>>
>>Add to this a window for a localtime clock, a window for a terminal
>>identification,
>>and a window for a DM identifier, and all the miscellaneous windows
>>needed to frame these presentation windows, and you have quite a number
>>of windows to manage.
>>
>>Then, of course, there's the actual activities that the windows themselves
>>present. I have a clock, so I must format and present the time and date.
>>I have two text inputs, so I must write text editing code. I have a scrollable
>>selection window, so I must write logic to update the selection, and to handle
>>the ScrollUp and ScrollDown buttons.
>
> You can obviously add as many bells and whistles as you like, but ultimately
> all you need for a basic login system is username and password - 1 window,
> 2 textboxes. For the other stuff you don't need a drop down, you could just
> have them pre-listed which can then be clicked on, much simpler.

You apparently misunderstand what I'm working with. X11 is a communications
protocol, with the "client" end implemented in Xlib and the server end implemented
in the X server.

X11 doesn't have "textboxes", and it's "windows" are simply rectangular regions
of the display that can be drawn on. Such a "window" can receive keystrokes and/or
mouse activity, if it chooses. I'm working at a much lower level than you think
I am.

As for "all you need ... is username and password", that might be true in a single
system network, but in a multi-system network, using the facilities of X11, I
also need a "hostname" to connect to (it may be "localhost", but, then again, it
may also be "desktop_computer.my.lan" or "game_server.my.lan"). For me, this
becomes a scrollable selector with three windows (a next-selection downarrow
window, a previous-selection uparrow window, and a selection output window).

What you are describing is a simple, one-system display manager implemented with
one of the X11 widget sets (such as GTK+, or QT or Athena), and not the more
comprehensive multi-system display manager that I'm trying to build.

[snip]

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Wheel re-invention (Was: comp.lang.c blocked on Google Groups

<sd45rn$15tg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17551&group=comp.lang.c#17551

From: MrSpud_K...@wl4yrs_t67fb214q.gov
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:31:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpud_K...@wl4yrs_t67fb214q.gov - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:31 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:20:43 -0000 (UTC)
Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher@digitalfreehold.ca> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 07:50:50 +0000, MrSpud_2fxg wrote:
>> You can obviously add as many bells and whistles as you like, but ultimately
>> all you need for a basic login system is username and password - 1 window,
>> 2 textboxes. For the other stuff you don't need a drop down, you could just
>> have them pre-listed which can then be clicked on, much simpler.
>
>You apparently misunderstand what I'm working with. X11 is a communications
>protocol, with the "client" end implemented in Xlib and the server end
>implemented
>in the X server.

Given I already told you I wrote my own window manager (along with half a
dozen games and more utilities than I can count in the last 25 years) I'm
wondering why you think I need some patronising heads up on what constitutes
X11 and Xlib?

>X11 doesn't have "textboxes", and it's "windows" are simply rectangular regions
>
>of the display that can be drawn on. Such a "window" can receive keystrokes
>and/or
>mouse activity, if it chooses. I'm working at a much lower level than you
>think
>I am.

Writing your own buttons and textboxes in raw X11 is fairly trivial *IF* you
know the API well and arn't too fussed about pretty graphics.

>As for "all you need ... is username and password", that might be true in a
>single
>system network, but in a multi-system network, using the facilities of X11, I
>also need a "hostname" to connect to (it may be "localhost", but, then again,
>it
>may also be "desktop_computer.my.lan" or "game_server.my.lan"). For me, this
>becomes a scrollable selector with three windows (a next-selection downarrow
>window, a previous-selection uparrow window, and a selection output window).

Or you could have a textbox with intelligent autocomplete of hostnames since
presumably you'll have a list anyway if you're planning on having a pull down.

>What you are describing is a simple, one-system display manager implemented
>with
>one of the X11 widget sets (such as GTK+, or QT or Athena), and not the more
>comprehensive multi-system display manager that I'm trying to build.

No, I wasn't. But it doesn't matter, I was just trying to be helpful. You do
what you like.