Subject: Dolphin, draw me a picture!
From: F Bek
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:47 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:47:14 -0800 (PST)
From: fbekd...@gmail.com (F Bek)
Beginner's question,
Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

What is an app if it cannot display a picture worth a thousand words? But it doesn't  seem to be an easy task in Dolphin.

While I'm still trying to figure out solutions to the other issues already raised, and then some more, the next step for my MVP would be to draw some basic geometrical figures, starting with a simple rectangle, then other Tee, Trapezoid, etc. Ideally, there should be a layer for the main figure, a layer for the dimensions and other text, and a layer for grids and axes. But I'll settle for just a rectangle as a start.

Is there any graphics plugin that would make life a bit easier? If not, where do I start with Canvas and Inkstrokes?

Thanks for reading  and eventually answering.
FB

Subject: Re: Dolphin, draw me a picture!
From: Bruno Buzzi Brassesc
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:42 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 05:42:41 -0800 (PST)
From: bruno.br...@gmail.com (Bruno Buzzi Brassesco)
Hi,

Take a look at Gdiplus package and classes like:
- GdiplusBitmap
- GdiplusGraphics

GdiplusGraphics exampleGdipNestedContainers.
GdiplusGraphics  exampleGdipNestedContainers .

regards,
bruno

From: F Bek
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:12 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 09:12:18 -0800 (PST)
From: fbekd...@gmail.com (F Bek)
Oh! Quite revealing! Thank you Bruno.
Checking the examples of GdiplusGraphics, there's a lot to digest there!
But the examples of GdiplusImage and GdiplusBitmap fail mostly; apparently some messages are not supported and some resources are missing.
Anyway, lots of new material to learn from and code to try! Is there a documentation or tutorial somewhere?

FB

From: Bruno Buzzi Brassesc
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:29 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 09:29:42 -0800 (PST)
From: bruno.br...@gmail.com (Bruno Buzzi Brassesco)
Hi,
It seems that some resources are broken. Test it with the lastest Dolphin from Github and if the problem is still there create an issue on Github.

Gdiplus is pretty awesome. I have made a chess notation tool with it some time ago:
- Render chessboard (with different styles)
- Render pieces (with different styles)
- Drag and drop pieces on the chessboard
- Lot of visual effects on the chessboard

If you want something even more cool take a look at this (4 parts) tutorial by Andy Bower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJWcQJseLQ&t=736s

regards,
bruno

From: F Bek