From: nos...@please.ty (jak)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: usb tv stick and python
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:47:50 +0200
 by: jak - Mon, 9 May 2022 06:47 UTC

Hello everybody,
I usually use vlc to watch tv and I use the w_scan program on linux to
create a file (.m3u) with the list of available channels. Unfortunately
I can't find an alternative to w_scan for Windows and I was wondering if
you could tell me some python library that allows me, easily, to
interface with the device and get the channel list.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Re: usb tv stick and python

<0c8i7hp8mcq34jod47ui3hv060opa8b8ip@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18204&group=comp.lang.python#18204

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: Re: usb tv stick and python
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 10:28:22 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 9 May 2022 14:28 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:47:50 +0200, jak <nospam@please.ty> declaimed the
following:

>Hello everybody,
>I usually use vlc to watch tv and I use the w_scan program on linux to
>create a file (.m3u) with the list of available channels. Unfortunately
>I can't find an alternative to w_scan for Windows and I was wondering if
>you could tell me some python library that allows me, easily, to
>interface with the device and get the channel list.

UNTESTED... But if it works means no change to your procedures...

Presuming you are using W10 or later...

Activate the Windows Subsystem for Linux ([old style] Control Panel /
Programs / Programs and Features... Turn Windows Features On or Off...
Scroll down, it's the third from the bottom)

Windows "Microsoft Store"; Search "Debian"; Download/Install (set a
log-in account/password). (Unfortunately, it's not the most recent version
-- still on Buster...)

Open Debian instance console (to my knowledge, no graphical
applications are supported); do normal stuff to bring apt up-to-date.

-=-=-
wulfraed@ElusiveUnicorn:~$ apt search w_scan
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
w-scan/oldstable 20170107-2 amd64
Channel scanning tool for DVB and ATSC channels

wulfraed@ElusiveUnicorn:~$
-=-=-

Install and test. Windows partitions are accessible as
/mnt/<driveletter>

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: usb tv stick and python

<t5bdjf$1q9h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18205&group=comp.lang.python#18205

From: nos...@please.ty (jak)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 17:56:32 +0200
 by: jak - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:56 UTC

Il 09/05/2022 16:28, Dennis Lee Bieber ha scritto:
> On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:47:50 +0200, jak <nospam@please.ty> declaimed the
> following:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>> I usually use vlc to watch tv and I use the w_scan program on linux to
>> create a file (.m3u) with the list of available channels. Unfortunately
>> I can't find an alternative to w_scan for Windows and I was wondering if
>> you could tell me some python library that allows me, easily, to
>> interface with the device and get the channel list.
>>

> UNTESTED... But if it works means no change to your procedures...
>
> Presuming you are using W10 or later...
>
> Activate the Windows Subsystem for Linux ([old style] Control Panel /
> Programs / Programs and Features... Turn Windows Features On or Off...
> Scroll down, it's the third from the bottom)
>
> Windows "Microsoft Store"; Search "Debian"; Download/Install (set a
> log-in account/password). (Unfortunately, it's not the most recent version
> -- still on Buster...)
>
> Open Debian instance console (to my knowledge, no graphical
> applications are supported); do normal stuff to bring apt up-to-date.
>
> -=-=-
> wulfraed@ElusiveUnicorn:~$ apt search w_scan
> Sorting... Done
> Full Text Search... Done
> w-scan/oldstable 20170107-2 amd64
> Channel scanning tool for DVB and ATSC channels
>
> wulfraed@ElusiveUnicorn:~$
> -=-=-
>
> Install and test. Windows partitions are accessible as
> /mnt/<driveletter>

First of all, thank you for your reply. Actually I already have a handy
work around to use w_scan because I have a VM with linux (ubuntu)
installed. I was just looking for a python package/library that would
allow me to write a wrapper around. I would also be satisfied with
finding documentation that describes the protocol to communicate with
the dvb interface and be able to write an app that produces the list of
available channels. Any advice, suggestion or pointing is welcome.

Re: usb tv stick and python

<a0ni7hl2a8aplvdplj20vaocmp8h8tdamk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18209&group=comp.lang.python#18209

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:25:22 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 9 May 2022 18:25 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 17:56:32 +0200, jak <nospam@please.ty> declaimed the
following:

>First of all, thank you for your reply. Actually I already have a handy
>work around to use w_scan because I have a VM with linux (ubuntu)
>installed. I was just looking for a python package/library that would
>allow me to write a wrapper around. I would also be satisfied with
>finding documentation that describes the protocol to communicate with
>the dvb interface and be able to write an app that produces the list of
>available channels. Any advice, suggestion or pointing is welcome.

For the protocol... You might need to locate the source code for
w_scan. Perhaps https://github.com/tbsdtv/w_scan