"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -- William E. Davidsen

devel / comp.lang.c / some thoughts on language

SubjectAuthor
* some thoughts on languagefir
+- Re: some thoughts on languagehjk
`* Re: some thoughts on languageMalcolm McLean
 +- Re: some thoughts on languageMark Bluemel
 +- Re: some thoughts on languageThe Real Non Homosexual
 `- Re: some thoughts on languagefir

1
some thoughts on language

<b735a554-32da-46be-83de-4d6018ddd6bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18386&group=comp.lang.c#18386

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 07:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: some thoughts on language
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:18 UTC

finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'
how c can be build up in phases (i mean when you got c you got all at
once but how it would be if you will build it on some abstract layers
that you could add up)

soem basic thinking was,
1) start with 'identifiers'

a aa b b cc cd e ed

etc that could look first phase (identifiers are liek empty names)

2) add values (values could be integer vallues like 1 2 33 4 49 and
floats 3.44 .5 445.6 than adhoc enums 'aass' 'zzzaaz' 'some' then
string literals "zzzzaaazzaz"

3) add constints this is a combination of identifier and value
(with constants it also comes initialisation)

4) add variables this is identifier with value that could be changed (c way, im not here to invent abstract phases but to think what it would be split c
or extended c on phases)
(whit variables it may also come assigning operation and thus program
flow)

5) now it seems some could add basic arithmetic expressions
6) and now it seems some could add what i could call function-call
expressions (some could say its to much to name function call schemes as expressions but i think it may be named expressions) this alos make this all functional structurisation
7) now add branching

its not clear if branching maybe could be better put before function structurization but maybe dont matter

and that 7 phases would be mostly all of c... array acces and structures could be put in phase 3 imo...im also not sure at the moment if there is also
a need to make some 8th phase with something more

im not sure if my try to divide c as above says something interesting but this was my some thought on a try to maybe more deeply understand something of c
(and for me it seems to slightly say something esp like those 3 phases 5 to 7 (well it seems that branching should be 6 now, as without functions as they are in c you still have some older language, so maybe putr functions to 7) it shows how not much it is, it is literally small dose of expresions, small dose of branching and in case of c small dose of functions
from time to time i though what cocould be done to improve the language to make coding faster and it usually comes to thought like in phase of expresions and branching not much can be done, maybe in a phase of functions a bit more still can be done (like those function-call expresion could be more eleborate and flexy/flexible than they are now and possibly more can be done on this eventuall 8-th phase of kinda modularisation and some higher paradigms (like agent-like)

if some have some thoughts somewhatrelated soem may coment and add somethink if want to say something (i know this post is not much 'conclusive' or not states any specially defined question remark or problem but still this dividing on phases is some thought)

Re: some thoughts on language

<5929ed79-3f55-44eb-b044-a8ae8df95677n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18657&group=comp.lang.c#18657

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: some thoughts on language
From: ronvac...@gmail.com (hjk)
 by: hjk - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:30 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 19:48:17 UTC+5:30, fir wrote:
> finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'

Try thinking more. And test out ideas with tcc compiler. Somewhat helpful, but only if you
are not planning to - rush b cyka blyat.

I meant rush c cb. Or did I? Welcome to c programming, use the flag for targeting c99.

Re: some thoughts on language

<5b9bec7a-f315-45d0-8c7d-1f2f019eee07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18659&group=comp.lang.c#18659

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:17 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 15:18:17 UTC+1, fir wrote:
> finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'
> how c can be build up in phases (i mean when you got c you got all at
> once but how it would be if you will build it on some abstract layers
> that you could add up)
>
> soem basic thinking was,
> 1) start with 'identifiers'

If you're writing a compiler from scratch, it's normal to start with a simple four rule
mathematical expression parser. Then you add variables and functions to it, and
gradually build up to the full language.

Re: some thoughts on language

<da02f431-cedc-4061-a985-80b40bb0d461n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18660&group=comp.lang.c#18660

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: mark.blu...@gmail.com (Mark Bluemel)
 by: Mark Bluemel - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:31 UTC

On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 09:17:14 UTC+1, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 15:18:17 UTC+1, fir wrote:
> > finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'
> > how c can be build up in phases (i mean when you got c you got all at
> > once but how it would be if you will build it on some abstract layers
> > that you could add up)
> >
> > soem basic thinking was,
> > 1) start with 'identifiers'
> >
> If you're writing a compiler from scratch, it's normal to start with a simple four rule
> mathematical expression parser. Then you add variables and functions to it, and
> gradually build up to the full language.

"Normal" and "fir" in the same post? Seems unlikely.

Your approach is clearly loser blabbler thinking which misses the intellect, insight,
creativity and genius that the professor can bring to bear to computer science.

Fir isn't quite a troll - I don't know how best to express my understanding of him.
However, he's probably best treated in much the same way. There's little value
in trying to engage with him - apart from anything else, most previous evidence
suggests that he regards newsgroups as a one-way communication medium.

Re: some thoughts on language

<c3b5e603-a7ad-42c8-8e65-87f7915f0364n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18663&group=comp.lang.c#18663

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdal...@gmail.com (The Real Non Homosexual)
 by: The Real Non Homosex - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:34 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 1:17:14 AM UTC-7, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 15:18:17 UTC+1, fir wrote:
> > finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'
> > how c can be build up in phases (i mean when you got c you got all at
> > once but how it would be if you will build it on some abstract layers
> > that you could add up)
> >
> > soem basic thinking was,
> > 1) start with 'identifiers'
> >
> If you're writing a compiler from scratch, it's normal to start with a simple four rule
> mathematical expression parser. Then you add variables and functions to it, and
> gradually build up to the full language.

I don't think fir's has what it takes to write a compiler from scratch. Seriously. I work as a computer programmer whereas fir's, as far as I know, has never held a programming job in his life. And you know what else? I had to get help when writing a simple compiler.

Re: some thoughts on language

<f4b414de-3d8d-43a3-a0ea-f3af5de0f23en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18746&group=comp.lang.c#18746

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 08:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:56 UTC

czwartek, 14 października 2021 o 10:17:14 UTC+2 Malcolm McLean napisał(a):
> On Wednesday, 22 September 2021 at 15:18:17 UTC+1, fir wrote:
> > finding a bit of time i was thinking on c again..tryin to 'guess'
> > how c can be build up in phases (i mean when you got c you got all at
> > once but how it would be if you will build it on some abstract layers
> > that you could add up)
> >
> > soem basic thinking was,
> > 1) start with 'identifiers'
> >
> If you're writing a compiler from scratch, it's normal to start with a simple four rule
> mathematical expression parser. Then you add variables and functions to it, and
> gradually build up to the full language.

i got some of the com,piler written...though i dont toich programming recently ..tryin to get more on literature ...though i may say soing some of c used to make me dtronger from time to time so maybe i should wrote few post...we will see